Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

After this mornings’ thinking out loud session here on the website, Ive decided to do #4, and #6…..
:shrug:
( But there ain’t no number 6 LT. Dan…..)

Every Bronze/Copper/Gold wheel I like is…..Powder coated. I just learned that today. That discovery led me to this epiphany…..

Why wouldn’t I just have my wheels powder coated bronze instead?

So I checked into it. Rather than finding some new set that are the color, and maybe spending some stupid assed amount for new two piece custom wheels, or having to settle for incorrectly backspaced OTS pieces for the sake of getting this color, why don’t I take what I got, and have them refinished in the bronze I want.
Something like this bronze:

1634596668614.jpeg

The whole wheel has to be finished this way though, so the two-tone, polished spoke/black hub look goes away. At the same time though, After I have them coated, It looks like the indirectly lit parts will take on a darker hue…
So,…..I think i’ll still have a Magnum 500 style, that may still have a contrasting two tone vibe. I think it’ll be different enough to scratch my itch.
Going to look sharp, looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

• Sponsors (?)

Was wondering why you had ruled out powder coating the wheels. Guess you hadn't thought of it yet.

Seems to me that it's time for you to start a new project--just keep this one to drive! That gets you out of the reality-build-show mode of having to scramble to get done before xxx event. That'll probably make your threads a lot less entertaining though, so scratch that idea.

Was wondering why you had ruled out powder coating the wheels. Guess you hadn't thought of it yet.

Seems to me that it's time for you to start a new project--just keep this one to drive! That gets you out of the reality-build-show mode of having to scramble to get done before xxx event. That'll probably make your threads a lot less entertaining though, so scratch that idea.
There’s no place for a second big project car in my life. As it is now, the larger things I take on the Monster just about kill me. I cannot possibly imagine doing what I’ve done just to the underside of this car on another.

Besides,….There’s nothing else I’d want enough to try and kill myself on.

:thinking:

Well, Maybe a Fairmont wagon. But only if it was possible to take a two door sedan “ donor”, and use the doors, and striker bulkhead, then shorten the wagon to allow me to have a 2 door version of one. Then that becomes two junk cars, sitting in the driveway, waiting on me.….No place to work on the wagon w/o putting the Monster out in the cold.

Not happening.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Found a different guy to do the Powder coating through the dealership. I take all four wheels with the tires mounted, they dismount, blast, coat, remount and balance for 650.00

I take them this Thursday, I’ll have them this Monday.

:banana:

Reactions: 3 users
W
There’s no place for a second big project car in my life. As it is now, the larger things I take on the Monster just about kill me. I cannot possibly imagine doing what I’ve done just to the underside of this car on another.

Besides,….There’s nothing else I’d want enough to try and kill myself on.

:thinking:

Well, Maybe a Fairmont wagon. But only if it was possible to take a two door sedan “ donor”, and use the doors, and striker bulkhead, then shorten the wagon to allow me to have a 2 door version of one. Then that becomes two junk cars, sitting in the driveway, waiting on me.….No place to work on the wagon w/o putting the Monster out in the cold.

Not happening.
Who said anything about a second big project car?

You need to commission Monster. Project complete. Any future work is operations and maintenance. Zero project cars. Then get a NEW project. Now you have ONE project car.

W

Who said anything about a second big project car?

You need to commission Monster. Project complete. Any future work is operations and maintenance. Zero project cars. Then get a NEW project. Now you have ONE project car.
What does the finger say?….(Maybe it’s not turned up loud enough for you to hear it…)

*it’s been so long since I’ve had to look for the volume knob…..
Wait…..
Here it is….found it.

NO SAID THE FINGER!:nono:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Wheels are at the powder coaters. I pick them up Monday.
Tuesday, I leave the car with our tint guy. I pick it up that evening.
Thursday, I meet with a custom auto upholstery guy to quote the seats. Right now he has given me a tentative quote of 1000.00 for both seats, to start in January.

It’ll be a whole new Monster in 22.

Reactions: 2 users