1978 Fairmont ..returning it back to stock..

When Mike tries to cut the Aerocatch fasteners into the original hood, will I:

• Do it up

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Screw it up

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xecute

Eaten, greased and played with my balls
yup. IRS. Weak.

Eddy Tassone found that out at 189 mph at the 2626 foot mark before deploying the parachute in a street '1300hp daily-driven VZ HSV GTO Pontiac GTO (the Monaro one).

Eddy_Tassone_VZHSVGTO.jpg

The Warren Girder G and F CAR SWAP IS GREAT.

400px-BrinningtonBridge.png

• Sponsors(?)

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Yesterday was spent looking for, finding, and hopefully fixing the exhaust leaks I’ve been smelling and hearing since putting on the tiny wheezer. There was evidence of exhaust leakage at both the inlet and outlet of the wastegate.
I believe that the dome on the gate was hitting the firewall, and that was holding it off just enough to prevent a good seal.
At this point in the build, all I could do to fix that was to beat the firewall with a hammer.

* You can imagine for your own selves how that looks now.

As a measure of added insurance, I also used the same methods i usually take when extra insurance is required......
I glued it.

I started down the path towards fixing the hack job on the rear quarters..
20201126_141922.jpg

20201126_141835.jpg

I didnt take a before pic on the driver side, but you still get the picture using the passenger side just the same. This is only the start before I add more metal that will turn this " mudflap" into more of a little wheel flare.
If that doesn't go as planned, itll fck up hours of work. Unlike regular mud flaps that are usually screwed to the wheel well lip...I have nothing to screw to there. I had to make it attach to the inner wheel tub, which required that I make a piece that follows the inner tub, and then welded that to the flap.
The next thing I do will be the metal that transitions onto the lower quarter, and that will be where the mud flap coukd turn to crap. I’ll have to get out the freakin TIG, and attempt to weld thin gauge steel on an outside corner..( I’m bad at that). If successfu, and it don’t warp all to hell, it’ll be held on by rivets on the inside in the wheel well, and 3m double-sided tape.( hopefully)
Once I get it mocked up to the point of a good fit, smoothed and worked enough to paint, ill seal the inside quarter with seam sealer, paint the flares body color, and smooge it onto the body.

Last edited:

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
While I wait on the turbocharger issue to resolve itself, I started down the path towards upgrading the rear end.
The thing is advertised at 772.00 ( which is on par for how the Detroit piece is retailed) I got the one above for 550.00. The Detroit Trutrac is available for right at 500.00. For 50 bucks, and just because i’ve always wanted one, i decided to get the locker instead.
1606568212534.jpeg

Monday, i’ll order the axles, bearings and the housing ends....Then i’ll have to either decide to pay my Trump lovin friend to setup everything, or try it myself.

Last edited:

7991LXnSHO

Now I want a 10 year badge
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
If the friend does this regularly, talk sports and cars, and get it right the first time. This is no 225 Hp 5.0 rear end any more.

rdharper02

like kicking myself in the junk
10 Year Member
May 8, 2006
I ran Yukon components on my first 5-lug swap, and later on a couple of Jeeps. Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you.

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
I called my friend yesterday afternoon inquiring about the setup, and housing end swap on the rear end. He answered the phone from inside a Deer Blind. I asked if he could do it, and he tells me to bring the rear to him. Easier said than done.

Its times like these ( and numerous others) that I wish that the “ other cars” I have in the driveway included a pickup. While I really like the Jag, it serves no purpose most of the time other than to take up space in the upper garage.
I think i’ll plan to change that in 2021.

7991LXnSHO

Now I want a 10 year badge
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
I called my friend yesterday afternoon inquiring about the setup, and housing end swap on the rear end. He answered the phone from inside a Deer Blind. I asked if he could do it, and he tells me to bring the rear to him. Easier said than done.

Its times like these ( and numerous others) that I wish that the “ other cars” I have in the driveway included a pickup. While I really like the Jag, it serves no purpose most of the time other than to take up space in the upper garage.
I found that at least a vehicle that will pull a trailer is really helpful. Half a pickup is cheaper than a whole pickup, and a low trailer is easier to load mowers and parts in. A Jag might be morally offended at my hypotheses.

Does Kate have an SUV? How about a hitch on the monster for weight distribution? Unloading the trailer would be as easy as the turbo kicking in.

rdharper02

like kicking myself in the junk
10 Year Member
May 8, 2006

I've learned I only need a truck when I don't have one sitting in the drive. After putting together a little Ranger for my uncle, I realized it was worth it for me to invest in having something around for when I need it. That's how I ended up with the J10 Jeep truck. It's an old farm truck, but runs like a champ and will just increase in value with every panel I fix on her. Space is becoming a bit of a problem though...lol

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
The the rear wheel flares are done,..Ive slathered a coat of Bondo on them to get them smooth. Tomorrow I’ll order a rattle can of Competition Orange from my paint supplier, and that’ll be behind me. It’s cold, and raining, and i’ve lost all interest in doing anything else today, especially considering that the garage door needs to be open to sand those flares.
It’s supposed to go down into the 20’s in the next few days, so I guess that they flares will sit till Thursday.

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
in lieu of the upcoming weather that’s not gonna be any better for the next few days, i went back downstairs and finished the flares. 3 pieces of 20 ga. steel, cut and butt welded together with my tig.
* they aren’t really flares by definition, they’re more like a “ fat mud flap”...but i’ll continue to call them flares for now.
Regardless of what I call them...they are ready for install
20201129_151238.jpg
The next part has me conflicted. They are actually held on by 6 rivets. 5 inside the wheel tub, and 1 under the bottom of the quarter..I really don’t need to glue them down for any reason....except they’ll still probably move enough to fck up the paint on the lower quarter.
I think i‘ll install them in a bed of some kind of adhesive, rivet it on, wipe off the excess, then when that dries, mask off the flare and paint it in place as opposed to painting it before putting it on, and almost assuredly fck up the paint.
The question is...what kind of adhesive that will allow me to wipe off the excess w/o ruining the paint on the quarter that won’t react to the paint that i’ll spray on top when it dries.

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
Seam sealer...its paintable and excess wipes off.

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Ok....another 1250.00 down the Monster drain..
The Moser bill came in just shy of 550.00. With the bearings and differential added in, the whole thing came in at 1243.50.

With that done, nothing will be left as a potential weak link in the drivetrain to prevent me from being able to realistically put 600 hp to the ground.
‘Cept maybe the torque troll :shrug:

Now, I just have to solve the lack of power problem today, and i’ll be just where i wanna be.
Too fast, and too furious.

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Reactions: LILCBRA

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Well I placed my initial phone call with Work turbo complaining about the lack of power. ( I was firm, but nice) Not normal for me unless I get push back from a supplier. Dude listened to me, and told me that they’d work to resolve, but that they wanted to try the larger exhaust housing on the 57mm turbo first.
I let him know that several other competitors all advised me that that would only net marginal gains, and that one actually TOLD ME how the car ran after I described the turbo specs to him, and that the best solution to such a lackluster performing combo would be to give the engine what it needs..
A bigger turbo. But with an eye on not going too big.
I told him that I was doing a fair amount of research, and that it appeared that most of the other 2JZ’s running a street based combo were all using a 66-67mm turbo. I also told him that based on my previous outing at the track,had come to the conclusion that I have a fairly heavy car after all...probably close to 3400 pounds with driver, and with the power sucking monster 4l80 adding to the power losses, my car needed that.

He said he’d look into it, and call me back today.....

Anybody wanna start a pool on the outcome here?