Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

I told my wife once that a female coworker wanted some of our farm fresh eggs. All the chickens ended up dead in two weeks...and she giggled every time I mentioned getting more hens. I'm just sayin'....
Fatal_Attraction_poster.png

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Calling a custom turbo shop and telling them what another custom turbo shop advised...is like telling your wife how a female coworker says she can improve your wife's macaroni and cheese. It never ends up well....she'll probably give up cooking for you at all....and tell you to live with that b%$ch. If she doesn't do that...she'll oddly laugh every time you get sick from what she cooks...or both.

I told my wife once that a female coworker wanted some of our farm fresh eggs. All the chickens ended up dead in two weeks...and she giggled every time I mentioned getting more hens. I'm just sayin'....
Its a double edged sword i guess..I liken it to getting a second opinion from a doctor.
After paying a premium for a turbo, you expect that the expert opinion you solicited comes from experience in the field. When one guy is saying one thing, and the rest are saying collectively something else, it speaks to the " maybe you got this one wrong" approach.

If they're pissed off, and want me to take my business elsewhere, no skin off my teeth...All I know is that its been over a week since my eye-opening test and tune...they were closed all week leading up to Thanksgiving, and now know that I'm out here...disappointed with their product..

Nobody wants to have someone like me dissatisfied with their products..

Just sayin.

Just got off the phone with Work turbo..

They want to see how much pressure drop there is pre intercooler vs post intercooler. In other words, they expect me to try to watch the boost gauge at 5500 rpm and make a mental note of that boost level so that I can compare that to a datalog of what the ecu is seeing in the intake.
And not wreck.

At the same time, they are going to swap out the exhaust housing to something larger..and they don’t have that.
So it’ll have to be ordered.

I believe that they are genuinely trying to make it right,..They want the car on a dyno afterwards to see what it makes for power,.. ultimately swapping the impeller up from 57mm to a 62mm if need be........ultimately looking for 600 fwhp...all at no cost to me ( excepting the dyno time)

600 fwhp will get me to a 7.0..if i didn’t have a 4l80 sucking power..maybe...a 7.10-7.20...maybe that’ll be fast enough..
maybe not.

Reactions: 2 users
Whether you call them flares, fat mud flaps, or spats...they're on.

Pass side fits much better than the driver side..go figure..it was the first one.
20201201_151339.jpg

Attachments

• 20201201_151323.jpg
    20201201_151323.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 110
7.0 will be fast enough. For a week, month, quarter, semi annual clearance.. But not forever. Which one of the turbo dudes would you use after talking to both. I'll probably need more than an HX35 to get where I want to be.

I don't care for setting expectations like X hp will run Y time.

In fact, I think you're standing at the top of a tall hill looking down a slippery bitch of a slope. You've done all the racecar stuff in the past and have been emphatic that you were done with it and here I am reading about you trying to hit a number and a time, like you're - gasp - bracket racing.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

In fact, I think you're standing at the top of a tall hill looking down a slippery bitch of a slope. You've done all the racecar stuff in the past and have been emphatic that you were done with it and here I am reading about you trying to hit a number and a time, like you're - gasp - bracket racing.

1606862085621.png

*I knew this would be a tough argument to make...but I am one who will certainly try.

This isn’t a warmed over 5.0 build.

I could’ve put any number of other engines in this car. Regardless of which one I chose, they all would’ve had to stand up to a certain goal for potential power output. ( we all have it) Whether that number is derived from time spent on a dyno, or beating the thing at the drag strip to try and determine it’s power level, it’s one in the same.

My time spent at the drag strip on Sunday reaffirmed that it’ll never see that place again with any frequency..All of the reasons I bailed on that “ diversion”, came right back to me full force after about an hour. The drag strip was just a means to an end..the goal isn’t about just about how fast it is, it’s about how much power it’s making..and they both go hand in hand.

So let’s talk about why anybody mods any car for more power..and what they expect when they do.

You‘re telling me that after spending $4000.00 on a xyz SC, and after putting all of the supporting infrastructure together to support that potential power increase so you can reliably use the investment, ( Dart block, forged internals, 205 heads, better fuel system, bigger injectors, better ignition, TKO 600, better clutch, better axles, better suspension, better tires, and then add in the better brakes to slow it all back down...............)

And thing only makes 425 fwhp,............ you’re just gonna be happy with that, because......... it is what it is?

If you set a goal for 550-600 hp, and you’ve done all of the above, it’s automatic..the 600 hp “x” is gonna run the “y” time. If it don’t, the X isn’t what you were expecting.

7.0 will be fast enough. For a week, month, quarter, semi annual clearance.. But not forever. Which one of the turbo dudes would you use after talking to both. I'll probably need more than an HX35 to get where I want to be.
Work turbo is gonna make it right...In their defense, I told the guy that it wasn’t about trying to make 800-900 hp..it was about having a “ quick spooling streetable combo with a goal of 550-600”

The quick spool is there..The power isnt. They are reassuring me that there are other 2 jz’s, RB 26’s out there making that power running this turbo, with the only difference being the power glutton 4l80e that I’m using instead of some manual trans..

I'm doing my darndest to learn basic metal shaping right now as I look to start the bodywork on this Jeep truck project. After playing with the 20 gauge steel for the 5.0's inner fender, I've got a ton to learn.

I'm doing my darndest to learn basic metal shaping right now as I look to start the bodywork on this Jeep truck project. After playing with the 20 gauge steel for the 5.0's inner fender, I've got a ton to learn.
a tig,...and the most basic of tig weld hackery makes a world of difference on 20 ga. steel. if a tig isn’t in the cards,..upgrade the metal to 18ga.....and space out the welds.

*I knew this would be a tough argument to make...but I am one who will certainly try.

This isn’t a warmed over 5.0 build.

I could’ve put any number of other engines in this car. Regardless of which one I chose, they all would’ve had to stand up to a certain goal for potential power output. ( we all have it) Whether that number is derived from time spent on a dyno, or beating the thing at the drag strip to try and determine it’s power level, it’s one in the same.

My time spent at the drag strip on Sunday reaffirmed that it’ll never see that place again with any frequency..All of the reasons I bailed on that “ diversion”, came right back to me full force after about an hour. The drag strip was just a means to an end..the goal isn’t about just about how fast it is, it’s about how much power it’s making..and they both go hand in hand.

So let’s talk about why anybody mods any car for more power..and what they expect when they do.

You‘re telling me that after spending $4000.00 on a xyz SC, and after putting all of the supporting infrastructure together to support that potential power increase so you can reliably use the investment, ( Dart block, forged internals, 205 heads, better fuel system, bigger injectors, better ignition, TKO 600, better clutch, better axles, better suspension, better tires, and then add in the better brakes to slow it all back down...............)

And thing only makes 425 fwhp,............ you’re just gonna be happy with that, because......... it is what it is?

If you set a goal for 550-600 hp, and you’ve done all of the above, it’s automatic..the 600 hp “x” is gonna run the “y” time. If it don’t, the X isn’t what you were expecting.
I guess I lost what your goals were somewhere in the mix between the Aussie headed 6 and this 2jxyz.
Anecdotally, I’m actually happy with my wheezy little 330 hp turbo motor. The only reason it’s getting heads in a couple weeks is because the stock ones probably resemble cooked bacon on the mating surface.
On the other hand, we’re both eternal tinkerers so I guess it was coming eventually. Hah!

I guess I lost what your goals were somewhere in the mix between the Aussie headed 6 and this 2jxyz.
Anecdotally, I’m actually happy with my wheezy little 330 hp turbo motor. The only reason it’s getting heads in a couple weeks is because the stock ones probably resemble cooked bacon on the mating surface.
On the other hand, we’re both eternal tinkerers so I guess it was coming eventually. Hah!
Mmm, bacon. That's why I think the best goal is to just build something and have fun doing it. My '66 will probably be terribly slow by everyone's standards here. But it'll still be a blast, I'm sure.

I think the car will evolve..I want it to be fun, I want it to be reliable, i want it fast. The turbo in this case guarantees me most of that. It doesn’t have to be any faster, or any less reliable than my right foot wants it to be. It'll end up with street tires back on it. they’ll be less drag radial, more corner hugging as I figure out how I want to use the thing..Different wheels, different vibe..The Monster will keep changing.

Yep. The right bigger turbo housing. Geeze. Its hard to make people think. Its like camshafts and that Jerry Schnider verses Honker S thing.

One just doesn't get it that your not a conservative whinging " my six wont idle" BS er.
The other realizes your progressive hard core " if this six doesn't bark, Ima gonnna be pi553ď".

George got it when you called Clay Smith on that simple cam issue way back when.

Until you feed the supplier the right Shibboleth showing your not some other Dumb Schmuck Paper Tiger...they all treat you....like your a D.S.P.T.

Last edited: