Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

I called my friend yesterday afternoon inquiring about the setup, and housing end swap on the rear end. He answered the phone from inside a Deer Blind. I asked if he could do it, and he tells me to bring the rear to him. Easier said than done.

Its times like these ( and numerous others) that I wish that the “ other cars” I have in the driveway included a pickup. While I really like the Jag, it serves no purpose most of the time other than to take up space in the upper garage.
I think i’ll plan to change that in 2021.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I called my friend yesterday afternoon inquiring about the setup, and housing end swap on the rear end. He answered the phone from inside a Deer Blind. I asked if he could do it, and he tells me to bring the rear to him. Easier said than done.

Its times like these ( and numerous others) that I wish that the “ other cars” I have in the driveway included a pickup. While I really like the Jag, it serves no purpose most of the time other than to take up space in the upper garage.
I found that at least a vehicle that will pull a trailer is really helpful. Half a pickup is cheaper than a whole pickup, and a low trailer is easier to load mowers and parts in. A Jag might be morally offended at my hypotheses.

Does Kate have an SUV? How about a hitch on the monster for weight distribution? Unloading the trailer would be as easy as the turbo kicking in.

I've learned I only need a truck when I don't have one sitting in the drive. After putting together a little Ranger for my uncle, I realized it was worth it for me to invest in having something around for when I need it. That's how I ended up with the J10 Jeep truck. It's an old farm truck, but runs like a champ and will just increase in value with every panel I fix on her. Space is becoming a bit of a problem though...lol

$1000 dollar beater truck parked in the corner of the driveway be worth it’s weight in gold when spring/summer hits and you become Mike the pool boy. Mike the gardener. Mike the landscaper etc etc etc lol

Reactions: 1 user
The the rear wheel flares are done,..Ive slathered a coat of Bondo on them to get them smooth. Tomorrow I’ll order a rattle can of Competition Orange from my paint supplier, and that’ll be behind me. It’s cold, and raining, and i’ve lost all interest in doing anything else today, especially considering that the garage door needs to be open to sand those flares.
It’s supposed to go down into the 20’s in the next few days, so I guess that they flares will sit till Thursday.

Reactions: 1 users
in lieu of the upcoming weather that’s not gonna be any better for the next few days, i went back downstairs and finished the flares. 3 pieces of 20 ga. steel, cut and butt welded together with my tig.
* they aren’t really flares by definition, they’re more like a “ fat mud flap”...but i’ll continue to call them flares for now.
Regardless of what I call them...they are ready for install
20201129_151238.jpg
The next part has me conflicted. They are actually held on by 6 rivets. 5 inside the wheel tub, and 1 under the bottom of the quarter..I really don’t need to glue them down for any reason....except they’ll still probably move enough to fck up the paint on the lower quarter.
I think i‘ll install them in a bed of some kind of adhesive, rivet it on, wipe off the excess, then when that dries, mask off the flare and paint it in place as opposed to painting it before putting it on, and almost assuredly fck up the paint.
The question is...what kind of adhesive that will allow me to wipe off the excess w/o ruining the paint on the quarter that won’t react to the paint that i’ll spray on top when it dries.

Ok....another 1250.00 down the Monster drain..
The Moser bill came in just shy of 550.00. With the bearings and differential added in, the whole thing came in at 1243.50.

With that done, nothing will be left as a potential weak link in the drivetrain to prevent me from being able to realistically put 600 hp to the ground.
‘Cept maybe the torque troll :shrug:

Now, I just have to solve the lack of power problem today, and i’ll be just where i wanna be.
Too fast, and too furious.

Reactions: 1 users
I remember seeing a video somewhere (it coulda been one of those shows on tv....) where they removed a body panel from a truck bed and used adhesive to bond the new one on. I'm sure it'll most assuredly fck up the paint though - if not chemically it'll be through the process. :shrug:

Amazon product ASIN B000PEW4MIView: https://www.amazon.com/3M-08115-Panel-Bonding-Adhesive/dp/B000PEW4MI
I’ve used it before..it’s what‘s holding the comet tail light panel on the back of the monster

Reactions: 1 user
Well I placed my initial phone call with Work turbo complaining about the lack of power. ( I was firm, but nice) Not normal for me unless I get push back from a supplier. Dude listened to me, and told me that they’d work to resolve, but that they wanted to try the larger exhaust housing on the 57mm turbo first.
I let him know that several other competitors all advised me that that would only net marginal gains, and that one actually TOLD ME how the car ran after I described the turbo specs to him, and that the best solution to such a lackluster performing combo would be to give the engine what it needs..
A bigger turbo. But with an eye on not going too big.
I told him that I was doing a fair amount of research, and that it appeared that most of the other 2JZ’s running a street based combo were all using a 66-67mm turbo. I also told him that based on my previous outing at the track,had come to the conclusion that I have a fairly heavy car after all...probably close to 3400 pounds with driver, and with the power sucking monster 4l80 adding to the power losses, my car needed that.

He said he’d look into it, and call me back today.....

Anybody wanna start a pool on the outcome here?

No real experience with turbos, or custom ordering anything, so I'll leave that alone. But I was just thinking of your wheel spats (because that's what they sound like they are :shrug: ) and thought since you're riveting them and you're more worried about them rubbing on the body, what about some kind of weatherstrip covering the edge? Kinda like they do with aftermarket wheel flares. Then you could paint them before installing them and not really screw up paint anywhere. And if you're not happy with them you'd be able to remove them and only have to worry about the holes from your rivets. The only caveat with that is you'd most likely have a black strip that would define the piece as separate from the body. :shrug:

Amazon product ASIN B07XVD76TXView: https://www.amazon.com/VRracing-Wheel-Fender-Weatherstrip-Automotive-Grade/dp/B07XVD76TX

Calling a custom turbo shop and telling them what another custom turbo shop advised...is like telling your wife how a female coworker says she can improve your wife's macaroni and cheese. It never ends up well....she'll probably give up cooking for you at all....and tell you to live with that b%$ch. If she doesn't do that...she'll oddly laugh every time you get sick from what she cooks...or both.

I told my wife once that a female coworker wanted some of our farm fresh eggs. All the chickens ended up dead in two weeks...and she giggled every time I mentioned getting more hens. I'm just sayin'....

• Haha
  • Surprised
Reactions: 2 users