Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

• Sponsors (?)

It’s almost weird.
Running car, nothing but a few tweaks to perform.
It’s gonna rain as a result of IDA for the next couple of days…..I doubt that I’ll even go into the garage.
In anticipation of the “ one day” that will come, I ordered new housing ends for the rear end. I also ordered the bushing kit that will let me narrow the rear end myself w/o having to borrow one. That old jig that I used last time had seen one too many rear ends, and the small Ford bushings were actually a little too small. That allowed the axle and housing end to move while welding, and resulted in the tweaked end that I have on the driver side axle. The only thing I’ll have to source will be the bar itself. I think the bushing kit is drilled for a cold rolled 1.250 solid bar,…..I can’t imagine how much that freakin thing will cost.

Reactions: 2 users
Seventy bucks. A 5’ long piece of 1018 cold rolled bar is seventy bucks. Coupled to the 119.00 the housing and end bushings cost me, I’ll have 200.00 in a brand new rear end narrowing jig.

compared to what some of the “kits” are costing, I’m calling it a deal.

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users
I guess it’s inevitable. One day, I’m gonna find a piece of deserted road,….I’m gonna rev that engine to xyz rpm, sidestep that clutch, and mat the gas.

At least that’s the way I remember it was supposed to go back in the day.

This time around I don’t have a “ seasoned” drivetrain. This time around, I don’t have 302, or 351 cubic inches to grunt off the line with..

This time around..,I have 189 puny little inches, coupled to a torque curve that ain’t doing dick below 3500 rpm.

I don’t know if I’m supposed to baby the thing around and “ break in” the clutch first before trying to break up something else with some 4000 rpm clutch dump.

I’m one month away from Mississippi. I’d hate to go out and beat on this thing only to find that the clutch won’t tolerate abuse as a result of improper break in, or some fcked up adjustment,….and I sure as hell don’t want to have to find that out 300 miles from here.

There’s only one way to find out though.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess it’s inevitable. One day, I’m gonna find a piece of deserted road,….I’m gonna rev that engine to xyz rpm, sidestep that clutch, and mat the gas.

At least that’s the way I remember it was supposed to go back in the day.

This time around I don’t have a “ seasoned” drivetrain. This time around, I don’t have 302, or 351 cubic inches to grunt off the line with..

This time around..,I have 189 puny little inches, coupled to a torque curve that ain’t doing dick below 3500 rpm.

I don’t know if I’m supposed to baby the thing around and “ break in” the clutch first before trying to break up something else with some 4000 rpm clutch dump.

I’m one month away from Mississippi. I’d hate to go out and beat on this thing only to find that the clutch won’t tolerate abuse as a result of improper break in, or some fcked up adjustment,….and I sure as hell don’t want to have to find that out 300 miles from here.

There’s only one way to find out though.
Waiting for the video from Mexico.:D

Yes, you are supposed to baby it to break in the clutch.

Kurt
Yeah, after posting that, i got on Rams’ website…they want me to drive it where i have a lot of engagement/disengagements………..for several hundred miles.
Ill unplug the iac, and drive it around on auto tune tomorrow provided it don’t rain.

Fckin rain :nonono:

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, after posting that, i got on Rams’ website…they want me to drive it where i have a lot of engagement/disengagements………..for several hundred miles.
Ill unplug the iac, and drive it around on auto tune tomorrow provided it don’t rain.

And after that....... video with your Chinee GoPros of you on the deserted road!! :rock:

Get in line to drop off and pick up some imaginary kids, or borrow some brats from the neighbors. That will work out your knee, pedal, and TO bearing while breaking in your clutch and patience.

Same same. Got my car back together last night, and I can't move it out of the garage. I have to go through the grass, and it's so wet, it'll just make a mess. Could be worse, I had to fly through Ida Monday night. Most static friction I have ever seen.

Kurt

And after that....... video with your Chinee GoPros of you on the deserted road!! :rock:
I have 3 chinee go pros, and 1 real hero7 go pro. Not 1 minutes use on any of them…
I also have a drone…..almost new in a box…It has a camera as well. Not 1 minutes use on it either.

Electronic toys …….I think i like them….but after i get them..not so much. it’s all greek.

I have a kit built ms3x, c.o.p. sefi, a cam sensor, and a pita vr sensor. and i’m afraid to touch it.

Id be happier if it was a blow thru carb and a freakin distributor…

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
What are you so afraid of?
You save the tune.
You f#ck with the tune for proper idle
You screw it up and reload the tune
You don't screw it up and gloat that you fixed it

Stop making it harder than it is :nice:
For you maybe.
It comes down to this: When you have zero comprehension of what does what in the tune with regard to achieving the desired outcome, how is that easy?
I don’t know a pulsewidth from an injector dead time. i don’t know where ASE gives itself over to WUE or whether the chicken comes before the egg. I have zero clue to where a target AFR starts to become relevant in that graph of numbers, and where it becomes detrimental. When you click this or move that, I may as well be watching some doctor cutting on somebody. There is so much I don’t know about that whole freakin black box under my dash, somebody could write a book about it.

Who in their right mind would wanna run down stairs, plug in a computer, and see if they can’t find a way to fck up the engine?

This is what I want…
I want the freakin thing to start, cold or hot like a new car.
I want the idle to fall to where it’s set as soon as i push in the clutch.
I want the throttle response crisp like a well tuned carb.

If I knew where to go/what to change w/regard to tuning to affect the startup, i’d have no problem with that.
If I disconnect the iac, and set the idle using the throttle screw, i’d expect idle to remain static, not wing up and settle, then surge maybe, maybe not like it’s doing now. From there, I’d have no problem with that either.

A soggy throttle blip, i can live with.

Just call @a91what I send him texts all the time before i change stuff or have an issue. I'm sure he sees my texts and sighs lol

Oh and don't beat on that fresh clutch. Give it some heat cycles first and i would definitely wait on dumping the clutch at 4k I still drove spirited on mine but i avoided really going hard on it for 300-500 miles.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users