Build Thread 1978 Fairmont. I bet somebody back home’s thinkin’…I wonder why he don’t write..?

The “ glass half empty” guy in me prefers to believe that this was one of the reasons for the high speed vibration. The glass half full dude knows that that is probably not the case.
Well it may have been. I would never just pull it off the balancer when it does that and move on. I would roll it a couple times to be sure but that's just me, so there's probably a good chance the guy never rolled it again and it wasn't actually balanced. So your theory still holds. :D

• Sponsors (?)

My new BMW is jammed full of rubber.

The two new Nittos and the mounted Sumitomo’s are all in the back. pretty proud of myself.
* Just try to get 4 315x17’s in the trunk of your car….you’ll see.

They seem like tires to me ( the Nittos)..Softer than the Sumi’s, no where near as soft as the drag radials. I hope it’ll be the in-betweenies that I need to put a cap on the traction issue with this car.

But it’s gonna rain for like a week starting tonight…It may be awhile before I get a chance to see.

Reactions: 1 user
Pics or it didn’t all happen in the trunk!
image.jpg

waaaay up in front, are the two nittos standing….
image.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Oh man !!! And you did it without covering the tires in a damn near white interior. If you didn't get a tire stain you are truly the man. :burnout:

Whatever they did to enhance the security of this website……they fcked up.
Im sure if any of you have tried to get on here today, you’ll know what i’m talking about.

Tires are mounted.
7769A81A-BDF8-419F-860A-8AF2AB46F1B3.jpeg

They appear huge…But in reality they are no wider than the Sumitomos.
However, unlike the Sumitomos,…and just like the drag radials that came off the other rims…
They take a lot of weight. I counted over 4 ounces on one wheel, while at the same time, no where near that much on the other one.

I sure as hell hope this was worth it.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree. That security things in weird. The site was inaccessible this morning.

Those do look huge! I hope they hook better than the old ones. The channels in the middle look bigger than I had expected. Based on your forecast, you should be able to test them for hydroplaning. ;) Good luck! Fingers crossed!

Yeah, I had to air down tires and spin them on the rim and try again, usually with better results, all the tires I've mounted in the last few years have a couple color dots and I was told they are to be lined up with the valve stem, 4 oz on a wide tire is not unusual, I don't like to put that much weight and many times it worked out.

Reactions: 1 users
Worked for years at tire shops. If it took that much weight I would've spun the tire on the rim and rebalanced it. The road force machine would make you do that sometimes. I'm sure BMW uses some special top of the line super Hunter Road Force machine.

Reactions: 1 user
i didn’t use the BMW machine….I would’ve been asking a tech to do extra sht that he wouldn’t have asked enough to take the time to do……..
So I paid an outside shop to do it.

Ive gotta pump 2 qts of gear oil in the rear,…Ive gotta reinstall the sway bar, and the brakes,…..then put these new tires back on.

Thats all that’s stopping me from testing out whether a Nitto NT05 is a decent in-between for a street tire vs a drag radials.

For whatever reason, I got a wild hair to start looking at old stock late 70’s Honda CBR motorcycles. I found one that appeared unmolested with low miles, and was certainly cheap enough, And I was fully planning on looking at it today.
But then the wild hair went away.
Ive had numerous motorcycles over the years, and just like a boat, sooner or later they all became a “ I don’t want this nomore”.
or I wrecked.
or I almost got ran into..
or I hated riding the thing…

Me and a motorcycle are best left separated.

I have been pretty frugal this last month considering the amount of money I usually throw away on the monster. MOF, Excepting the tires, that Selling the drag radials kinda cancelled out that expense, I haven’t done anything stupid at all.

That leaves me to focus on getting the Monster right for next month when me-n-him take our anticipated annual drive to the Mississippi gulf coast. This venue is a sketchy objective to be sure, given that it’s held on the gulf coast during the height of Hurricane season. I bailed on it last year because of a weather forecast, only to find out afterwards that the tropical storm that was in that forecast passed them by…

All I know is that the room that I want for the 3 nights i’d be there is 1200 non-refundable dollars. Instead of that, I have an alternate held that is fully refundable up until 10/6. ( which would at least get me w/i two days of a ” go/no go” decision) If everything is good up to that point, I can cancel that room, and see if the one I want is still there. If not, I fall back to the alternate…Heres to hoping.

I drove an S550 Mustang for the first time last night…a sold car that I needed to put gas in. The previous owner had put some freakin obnoxious exhaust system on it
And now that i’ve driven one, and can speak from first hand experience,…..three things:

As much as I hate loud assed exhaust systems from outside the car, Being inside the car that has one turns that hate into a form of disgusted loathing.
Having driven my car enough to get a good seat of the pants feel for how fast it is, an S550 left stock like this one was, would get its ass handed to it courtesy of the orange and black slow assed desert lizard living in my basement. maybe if the Mustang wasn’t trying so hard to sound fast with its loud assed exhaust, It would’ve felt faster, but all i got from matting the gas pedal was BLAAAAAAAHHHHHH!
The only things I can say positive about the car, is that I like the way they look compared to any previous version car ( after 1970). The Auto trans is cool and the way it rev matches and downshifts while slowing is pretty neat.
Other than that though….it’s just like any other car..and at 40k for a used 27k mile 18 model, it’s just a spectacular waste of money, for the same piece of cheese between two slices of white bread that anybody else with 40k can buy.

I’ll continue to throw my money away elsewhere instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
What drew me to the s550 is the handling. The handling compared to other production mustangs.

Me and the Lady have settled on buying a z06 Vette when we get another house. Everyone rates a fast street car against a Vette. Well, used to before the Tesla came out. Smh