Build Thread 1978 Fairmont: This is why I could never have been a mechanic.

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Well, it’s friday night...

The 4l80 is loaded on my truck, I gotta meet a guy in Steele Al..at 9am tomorro. He’s payin full price plus an extra 50 to meet him halfway.

Guess that means that there’s no going back to an auto if I end up hating the 6 speed. ( I won’t). But it does add back to ” Why did I change over to a six speed fund”.

I’m thinking i’m gonna attempt the rear main seal repair on the f150. I have all of the parts ( rear main seal, clutch, slave cylinder) ready to pick up at Oreilly’s at my convenienc. I’ve watched a few vids, it doesn’t appear any more difficult than Monster stuff ( actually it’s way easier).......but i’m still laying on my back fckin with a heavy ass transmission, in a driveway)

The seller said that the previous owner replaced the clutch “ recently”.
I’m just gonna say im not taking any chances.it’s 240.00 to replace everything.

Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors(?)

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Well for the first time in a long time, I spent my Sunday working on something other than the Monster.

The F150..( aka F-1fiddycent) Needs some TLC to make it tolerable.

The dash mount on the passenger side has been broken for a long time..the lack of support there has caused the dash to stress and crack at the windshield...While that isn’t a real PITA, the fact that the freaking thing bounces and rattles while driving is.

So,..I had to make a bracket that bolts through the plastic frame, and tied it back to a solid mount surface on the passenger side under the kick panel.
The dash pad has a really bad crack...i removed it, and ground out a valley for some kind of goop I’m gonna put there, but that didn’t get finished.
The original Pioneer radio that was in the Monster was/is a little short chassis “ streaming unit”. I removed it from the Monster when I upgraded him to a flip out touch screen, so that left this thing on a shelf.
I removed the ancient Sony AM/FM/CD player that was there, and reinstalled the Pioneer unit. It gives me the ability to wirelessly sync my phone for XM/ Spotify, and have hands free calling/ texting through siri.
The headliner is sagging...The old one is out,...hopefully I’ll be able to redo that on Wednesday.

I dumped in that sht that swells/softens the rear main seal. Hopefully, that fixes the leak for a while..From what I read, my situation is right to try this junk...and I certainly don’t care that much about a 100k mile 300 I6, as long as it stops freakin dripping.

The interior is pretty much out of the thing except the dash...But It doesn’t move no more...Hopefully the engine don’t leak oil no more..and when you call me while i’m driving, I ain’t holding the freakin phone up to my head no more either.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 5 users

slow84lx

clean it good before insertion
Jul 3, 2005
Dallas, TX
I’m thinking i’m gonna attempt the rear main seal repair on the f150. I have all of the parts ( rear main seal, clutch, slave cylinder) ready to pick up at Oreilly’s at my convenienc. I’ve watched a few vids, it doesn’t appear any more difficult than Monster stuff ( actually it’s way easier).......but i’m still laying on my back fckin with a heavy ass transmission, in a driveway)

The seller said that the previous owner replaced the clutch “ recently”.
I’m just gonna say im not taking any chances.it’s 240.00 to replace everything.

Well,.......since you are going to drop the F150 transmission anyway,......You might want to check into a few other things while you are at it. You may already be familiar with the M5OD R2. I'm no expert but learned a little but about them recently.

1. Open the top of the M5OD R2 and check the wear on the shift forks. They don't cost that much and access is easy while the trans is out. A very common wear item.
  2. The 3 rubber plugs on the top of the M5OD R2 are notorious for leakage. Replace with small freeze plugs if yours are leaking.
  3. Shifter bushings, or #5 below.
  4. If you take the top plate off and replace either of the shift forks take a few extra minutes to polish the shafts that the forks are attached to on a buffer. This made a noticeable difference in shifter smoothness when I did it to mine recently.
  5. Consider replacing the shifter with a Core / Hurst shifter. https://core-shifters.com/collections/shifters-for-f150 Looks like they are currently sold out.
I replaced both shift forks, polished the shafts, replaced the shifter with a Core / Hurst shifter, and will refill with Amsoil when it goes back in.

A source for M5OD parts:

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
S.I.NY
Uhhhh you might want to change your add on 500+ Hp for sale to say manual car :runaway:

1FC9832A-5FC3-4061-AF68-9A3B082B6D7A.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
If kate’ll let me, this Sunday I’ll get back to the Monster. Now that it’s no secret that I floated the car out on FB marketplace just to see what ( if anything) that it’ll bring, I know now that if I get serious, somewhere between 17-20k is all that this car will bring when it finally meets its new future owner.

If you’re the type that believes in bad karma/luck/omens, I just did to the Monster what I’ve done to every other car that has eventually ended up sold shortly afterwards..

I ordered a personalized plate for it.

I’ve had about 40 cars in my life, and only 3 of them have had a personalized plate. In every instance, no sooner did I put the plate on the car, the car was gone before I could renew that plate. It’s never my intent to put the plate on the car thinking I’m gonna sell it, it just happens to work out that way.

F1fiddycent is done enough to make him a tolerable daily driver, excepting the rear main seal leak. I replaced exterior mirrors, the interior mirror, the car stereo, fixed the broken dash, the split dash pad. Put a new headliner in, and new dew wipes on both the inside and outside of the doors. New headlights will be the last thing I’ll do to it for a while to come.

The auto trans and the 2jz/GM adapter is gone. The proceeds bringing in 2050.00 to help offset the 5000.00+ that the 6 speed will end up costing by the time it’s all said and done.

If Kate’ll let me, I’ll see if I can get back on it Sunday, but she has been a real pain in the ass about spending the entire Sunday in the garage, so maybe I will, and maybe I won’t.

• Haha

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
15 Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Acworth, GA
And, what exactly is a BS40620?
That's pretty amateur not to know what a BS40620 is. It's the Felpro standard Ford rear main seal for both pushrod and modular engines. You should have googled it. I have a tendancy to overstock on basic Ford gaskets and seals.

Kurt

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
That's pretty amateur not to know what a BS40620 is. It's the Felpro standard Ford rear main seal for both pushrod and modular engines. You should have googled it. I have a tendancy to overstock on basic Ford gaskets and seals.

Kurt
i don’t know if you’ve noticed, i have a tendency to not use ford engines in my project car. And,... the last ford engine that was there was built long before ford started using one piece rear main seals.

So,....Other than Google, how exactly would i know this?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

7991LXnSHO

10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
i don’t know if you’ve noticed, i have a tendency to not use ford engines in my project car. And,... the last ford engine that was there was built long before ford started using one piece rear main seals.

So,....Other than Google, how exactly would i know this?
I’ve sold enough Fel Pro parts to need to check the part numbers. The extension alone can make a big difference.
So don’t feel bad about your memory working on other brands.

CarMichael Angelo

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
And on the subject of working on the car,....

Firstly,...The Electric power steering is back where it belongs..this time, “ engineered” to barely miss the homemade clutch pedal that now hangs there next to it. The dash skeleton is cut, and modified to allow me access to the front mount bolts, and cut and modified to allow the fuse box to be put in/out independent of the dash itself.
Lastly, the dash frame is significantly sanded to feather out all of the last 7 years of chips, and scratches. It only needs about 30 minutes more before i take a rattle can and repaint the thing.

( this was Sunday’s “lack of progress”, progress)

For a brief moment, I considered covering all of the Mesh in red carbon fiber rigid sheet. A .022” thick piece of carbon fiber with a peel-n-stick 3m adhesive backing with a glossy top coat. It wouldn’t be red necessarily, there’s a few other colors out there including copper, grey, and.....orange, that i was considering.
1623157265531.jpeg

1623157526803.jpeg

And I was considering it.....
Up until the time where i started to wonder how the hell i was gonna cut and trim carbon fiber/kevlar sheet. Especially since i’d have to cut one piece to 2.250” wide, and 60” long, then turn around and cut the rectangles for the ac vents out of that piece that would leave just 1/4”margin at the top, and bottom of that 2.250” long piece.

On a piece of carbon fiber that would cost me 169.00.
I’m thinking....
No, said the finger.

Ill have to come up with something else there.

Tomorrow is all mine. I don’t have to go put a plate on any car, or do any other damn thing other than what i want to do. And what i plan to do is get the flywheel bolted on, the clutch bolted to it, get the trans tunnel cut to accommodate the shifter poke-through, and get the trans installed and mounted.

Once that’s done, if there’s time left, i’ll look into finishing the dash prep...Where and when to paint it will be the next issue,...Summer, and 90% humidity have returned to Alabama. I don’t want some paint reaction because i’m trying to paint something in a rain shower...even though it isn’t raining.

Im changing the carpet to black..I’m also thinking i’m gonna have it done custom, where the dash tunnel, and all of the surrounding vertical surfaces are glued or “fastened” down, ( using a snap) and the flat surfaces are seamed around the perimeter, and laid in place. ( Think....really long front to back floor mat) And,...Im going to use loop pile like they used to in the 60’s.

But that’s just another cake baking in the oven inside my head,...it may or may not turn out.

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
  • Love