Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

9 days left before Christmas.

I asked Kate if she thought the two boys would like it if I converted the existing old front seats out of the Monster into something they could use as a " gaming chair". I figured that I could make a low mount metal frame where the seat would be low enough to the floor so as to not need a foot stool, put the thing on carpet gliding casters, and give each one of them something that I built.
I wondered if it would register as something that "my dad made that for me" and last, versus buying them each something else.

Neither of them are expecting it.

it'll eat up my Monday making these things, so I'm kinda conflicted. One way or the other, I gotta do something with them.
They're worth 2-250.00 as a pair of seats for some bodies car, or I can spend about 50.00 more and do what I'm talking about.

A lot of you guys are close to my oldest sons age...if you had this chair that sat about 10" off the floor that would roll over carpet and hard floor surfaces with ease, that your dad built so you could mindlessly set in front of a TV with a head set on while you talked to other people who weren't in the room with you.....That just happened to be in the old mans car....

Would that be cool?

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
It will be cool when they reach 40 maybe 30. Until then, it will be....my old man is so cheap, he gave me some :poo: out of his hoopty ass car he spends all his free time on.

At least that's what I think my 17 year old would say. Where's the iTunes card? Where's the Xbox Live card? Or since he is driving now, where is the Kroger Fuel card?
:rlaugh:

Actually, I would do it. Even if they they think you are not cool this year, they will appreciate it as they get older. My parents bought a little wooden stool probably for my older brother that is 19 years older than me. It got passed down to me. On top it says, This Little Stool is Mine. I use it to reach things I couldn't and lot's of things I shouldn't. Since the first grandchild, my dad has made each grandchild their own copy of this stool. (He probably got it in Japan in the early 50's). I used to think it was corny. But now, when the grandchildren are having kids, they want to know if grandpa can make the great-grand kids a stool.

Moral of the story, keep working on cars til you're 87.
:nice:

Reactions: 1 user
If they sit and play games that much, then sure. However, didn’t you say the seats make your butt fall asleep?
It's MY butt that I was talking about...i don't care about theirs. They spend entirely too much time there as it is, I just figured it might be kinda cool.

Make no mistake. This wouldn't be all that these two people get for Christmas,....
Just a little something from me.

On the PBA thread, I solicited advice on which product to use to hold the tail light shrouds on the new aluminum tail light panel.
Somebody recommended 3m's 5300 marine adhesive, and that's what I used.

They dont call me " Do it twice Mike" for nothing.

I used it because it's in a tube that dispenses from a caulk gun. ( No messy 2part mixing). I didn't have to buy a 60.00 dispensing gun to dispense it either.
I used a lot of it to make these things stick..the equivalent of two standard tubes of caulk. It's supposed to take 24 hours to cure,..I'm not touching them for days.

I was able to make is so that I could screw the tail light housings to that panel, and the now glued on shrouds hide those screws. When it's all said and done, the lenses will get a thin bead of some type of sealant applied, and they will be the water-stop barrier for this new endeavor.

Glueing the whole thing on back of the car will be the next step,...and it's here that I may choose to get the PBA to hold it. The whole thing now only has a 1/2" margin around the perimeter to hold it.

It wasn't without the usual collateral damage however,.....while mocking it up, the aluminum panel popped out and slammed itself against the top crown of the rear bumper. Giant paint chips run along that crown, and on part of the transition.

Perfect.

If you decide not to follow through with the seats, I was still planning on getting them from you. It's just been tough lately. My husky has had 2 x $4k surgeries in the last 4 months.

Dang brother, if my Husky needed any of that she would be crossing the rainbow bridge when her body chose to on its own (or if her suffering needed ended). No way I would spend that kind of money on a dog.

Reactions: 3 users
Dang brother, if my Husky needed any of that she would be crossing the rainbow bridge when her body chose to on its own (or if her suffering needed ended). No way I would spend that kind of money on a dog.

My dogs would get it. They're family ... and my wife's other kids. If it means they can live better for a few more years we'll spend it.

Then you are not a dog person. When the vet had to put my Dane down years ago, he had to come to us because of the size of that dog. I held that dog in my arms as the life left his body. If it wasn’t for the vet still being in the room I would’ve broke down right then,...right there and wailed. That happened 10 minutes later. I dug the hole, I put his bed in the hole, My oldest son and I laid that dog carefully into the hole, and onto that bed.
That dog was like a person to me as everyone of them has been, but the Dane has been the hardest to lose. I still grieve when I talk about him. To put a price on the life on one of them as not worth it has always seemed careless, an undeserving of the love that animal has for its owner.

Reactions: 2 users
It's all relative. $8k to one is like a $100 to another. But I have to say that there is defiently a line when it comes to spending on an animal. We would rack up a $150k bill all day to fight cancer in a loved one, but I bet no one on here would do that for a dog.

Joe

I like animals more than I like people, had a ratty cat hang around the shop I had a few years ago, crust around her eyes, runny nose, sickly looking hair ball but she greeted me every day and hung around and was never a bother, she meow'd when I talked to her like we where conversing. I found her by the office door one day, she meow'd at me but couldn't move and was barely breathing, took her to vet friend to end her days as being my friend and I cried. And I didn't care who seen me or what they thought. But there is a line in the sand when it comes to spending money on man or beast.

Sorry guys, I’m not a dog hater by any means. I cried when my first died at age 6, and then again at age 17 when I held my second when he was put down. My husky is 11, and very independent. She hardly wants anything to do with us, so I’m not very attached to her. Sorry, should have broken that down in my original post.

Getting back on track...Getting back on track......Getting back on track..

* Sorry, I find it hard to stay focused during the news cycles....Especially when the words treason, and selling out your country is tied to the convict general leading " lock her up" chants. It's all only a matter of time, great pumpkin...You're not necessarily next....but your day is coming.....and it's gonna happen before 2020.

The marine adhesive is gonna take several days to dry. I went down and tried to trim some of the excess off of the shrouds, and exposed un cured adhesive. It dries rubbery for the pieces that I trimmed off, or blobbed out..and for the one piece that I sprayed with some rattle can paint......

It sticks.

In the grand scheme of things, I coulda made the full 3 lens Cyclone tails fit, but there'd be no room for the old cyclone center badge in the middle if I did.
I'll take what I can get.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.