Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

It's me not the auto correct, remember I have an idiot light and it is constantly flashing.

It just seems to be the lesser of two evils..
I just responded to Dave. I turned off the autocorrect, and the auto cap on this thing.
I had to go back three times to fix sht.

i turn it back on.

Technology is here so that I DONT have to have an idiot light.

So,.....Steve is considering buying two complete 351s....one runs normally, and the other spins backwards...maybe I'll buy the reverse rotation one from him, and rig it to drive a reverse rotation prop from an airboat, and install it in the trunk now that all of that rear radiator junk is gone.
Then I'll have to rig up a big, giant fan under the car using belts and pullies geared to spin at 3 times engine speed with the sole objective being lift. I'm not looking for full fledge "flight" per se'......I just wanna be able to kinda.. "hop" over other cars in my way.

I'll be ragin' up on some slow assed Kia, and I'll push the hop button...the 351 comes on, spools that fan up to full speed, and the whole freakin' Monster just leaps over that sht....

I can see this happening...as long as the damn hairless cat stays out from underneath the thing during testing...that could be a bad thing.

Yup, it is. I guess others Down Here have been testing the system along our fence-line, and our ferral feline caught it big time.

TAZ-Mane-IA.jpg

TAZ-Mane-IAn-Shawn.jpg

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
Who you trying to kid Dean? Technically speaking you're not far from Australia, and if that country has had to survive some post apocalyptic calamity because of nuclear war since the 80's, I'd imagine that NZ got its fair share of the same exposure.

I think that's the way ALL the surviving cats look like down there.

Provided that they all haven't already been eaten by this guy.
150513-stern-miller-tease_d6amq4.jpg

• Haha
  • Clever
Reactions: 1 users
The goal today will bring me back around to the tail lights. I have the material to mate the LED panels to the old lenses and that will be what I'm gonna try and get done before I have to stop, and go into work today.
I'm becoming a slave to work it seems,...having to accomodate a luxury customer always seems to catch me on my day off. This guy locked his credit, and couldn't remember the password to unlock it. Provided he gets that by this afternoon, will be the determining factor whether or not I'm gonna have to go in at 3.
It's not the end of the world, if I get started here soon, I'll be dead by 2:30, and won't wanna mess with the car anymore today anyway...I just gotta get to a benchmark.

I'm just dreading the bodywork on that salvage hood/trunk. If I had some way to get it to the soda blaster that I used to strip off the current old panels , they'd be going there. I probably will take them in the next month, and just keep things like they are until then,...it is only February after all. I'd consider leaving the existing hood on, aside from the fact that it will be the easiest to swap over when that time comes,...unlike the trunk, the holes in the hood won't allow water to get in where it can't get out. The only reason I'm considering changing the hood is that I wanted something I could put a more traditional forward facing scoop on in my attempt at falsifying the car into a "car that never was". But after considering it..( I always end up thinking more when I write about it) I may leave it.
This is what Comet became when ford decided to eliminate the Torino/Comet midsize..
1971_Mercury_Comet_GT_%28Auto_classique_VAQ_Mont_St-Hilaire_%2711%29.jpg

And I have that scoop.
This is Maverick..
1972_ford_maverick-pic-483985666670416673-1600x1200.jpg

This of course is me...
IMG_0551.JPG

In the grand scheme of things, this could work, until I get the car back up and running,.......kind of a blending of the Mav's nostrils into the G's Nostrils...it's not like anybody is gonna know what the hell the car is anyway.
But I'm not going after a Ford vibe, this car has always wanted to be a Mercury....
And the tail lights are almost done. And there's no dispute that it says it's a Mercury back there. That part is a day away from paint...( if I ever get a whole day to work on it.)
The trunk has four holes in it along the back edge that used to hold the ducktail spoiler, in addition to the big assed vent hole right in the middle...ill have to change that thing out. Again, the lazy ass in me is thinking I plug the big vent hole, patch and fill the four holes in the rear of the trunk deck and just repaint the rear lip to cover the repair work...

Let's see where I get today

I love Mavericks. We had one in the family from the time my mom and dad bought new for my oldest brother in 70, until about 88 when my mom got mad at my other brother and sold it for $1500 which was cheap even then. Dad got my brother and I started on go-karts and swapping the old 170 for a 200 in the Mav was a big mistake, because it showed my brother how easy it would be to put a 289 in it. It eventually had a 351W and top loader in it. That Green Maverick in your picture is one of my favorite all time. I love that color. I love the stance. I even think the wheels look pretty good, although, I would probably put something different on.

Which means, go to U-haul and for about $30 you can rent a full size van to haul your :poo: to the soda blaster, so you can get the hood done with that hood scoop on it!

I edit everything I show you guys..You rarely if ever get to see the "work in progress", you usually get to see a before and after instead.

I have to add on to the Cyclone center section that used to be between the taillights on the original version. The new "old" Comet taillights have a lot more space in between them, and that requires that I add length back onto the center section.
And that requires that I weld aluminum.
And that means I drag out the spool gun.

I've only used the thing once before, and practiced on a scrap piece this morning. I went home at lunch, and cut two extension pieces out of scrap aluminum plate ( by hand). Beveled the edges, clamped it face down on my Binford weld-o-magic welding table, and pointed that ray gun at the only one chance I had to do it right.
( this coming from a guy that's notorious for doing sht several times over)
The first side I gotta tell ya looks like ass... but the second side...With enough practice, I could actually make a weld like this look good...but not today.
So then, do you get to see what it looks like unfinished You might be thinking?.....

Well of course not...Dont be redicoulus.

Mike, I bought one of those spool guns last year and have only fooled with it once. The results were horrendous, but I was using co2 argon mix, and I know it calls for pure argon. What are you using for the spool gun, and do you think gas makes that much of a difference?
Joe

Mike, I bought one of those spool guns last year and have only fooled with it once. The results were horrendous, but I was using co2 argon mix, and I know it calls for pure argon. What are you using for the spool gun, and do you think gas makes that much of a difference?
Joe
Yep, you gotta mess with it a lot. It doesn't weld like your expect. The wire speed has to be pretty fast, and the heat well above where youd use for steel. I wasnt kidding when I said it was like a ray gun.
This was from this morning's practice.
15508041228478866777219646829157.jpg

*keep in mind I hate showing stuff like this,but you can see where i started, and by the time i figured it out, ( towards the top), i was welding decently with it.
I used straight argon.

And this us the 80% complete shot for tonight.
20190221_205120.jpg

You can still see the lines where I butt welded the extension pieces on, I'm thinking I'm gonna just prime these pieces, and paint them silver instead of leaving them raw. The filler primer will hopefully fill in those lines.

Reactions: 4 users
It's Friday. The last Weekend of the month. I've decided that March will be my restart deadline. The car is close enough to not make that an unreasonable goal. The one thing I have to get done so that I will not have to unbolt it and do it over, is the cooler shroud. That whole thing is a mess. With the two oil coolers vibrating inside the thing, the splitter bolted on underneath, and that whole thing bolted to the bottom of the front bumper,..there was enough movement to just trash the paint on the thing. Couple that to the barrage of rock chips it got, and my occasional crashing into it with a floor Jack, and it's time for a repaint.

Another thing I dread having to redo because of the intricacies of the thing itself..way too many nooks and crannies to have to sand paint out of...( besides, I've still got enough " nook-n-crannie" sanding to do on the tail light panel as it is.)

So,.......if they can soda blast the paint off the cooler shroud without blasting my bodywork away along with it, the cooler shroud, the splitter, the hood, and the trunk are all going into a rented U-Haul van on Monday, and getting blasted.
( See Nick @95BlueStallion, another instance of me taking your advice...what is it up to now?.........twice in 5 years?)
Yeah, remote controlled MIGs at that. Party on Wayne.
(I thought Those planes were piloted, but after going back, I see the author that posted is "Essential RC". There is a lot of weird going on, they don't fly like there are humans inside them, and when they get close to the ground, there should be a whole bunch of jet wash kicking up dust and dirt,..but not one small whiff of dust..)

So, a large amount of dread will be circumvented,...the next problem will be whether or not I can get them in some sort of primer before the surface rusting starts to come back...it is still winter after all, and it's been raining like the days of Noah around here for like a week...hopefully when I get these pieces back in a couple of weeks it won't be too cold or rainy to spray them down with some sort of primer......And what should that be Dave? @Davedacarpainter I'll go get me some.

Last edited:
It's Friday. The last Weekend of the month. I've decided that March will be my restart deadline. The car is close enough to not make that an unreasonable goal. The one thing I have to get done so that I will not have to unbolt it and do it over, is the cooler shroud. That whole thing is a mess. With the two oil coolers vibrating inside the thing, the splitter bolted on underneath, and that whole thing bolted to the bottom of the front bumper,..there was enough movement to just trash the paint on the thing. Couple that to the barrage of rock chips it got, and my occasional crashing into it with a floor Jack, and it's time for a repaint.

Another thing I dread having to redo because of the intricacies of the thing itself..way too many nooks and crannies to have to sand paint out of...( besides, I've still got enough " nook-n-crannie" sanding to do on the tail light panel as it is.)

So,.......if they can soda blast the paint off the cooler shroud without blasting my bodywork away along with it, the cooler shroud, the splitter, the hood, and the trunk are all going into a rented U-Haul van on Monday, and getting blasted.
( See Nick @95BlueStallion, another instance of me taking your advice...what is it up to now?.........twice in 5 years?)

(I thought Those planes were piloted, but after going back, I see the author that posted is "Essential RC". There is a lot of weird going on, they don't fly like there are humans inside them, and when they get close to the ground, there should be a whole bunch of jet wash kicking up dust and dirt,..but not one small whiff of dust..)

So, a large amount of dread will be circumvented,...the next problem will be whether or not I can get them in some sort of primer before the surface rusting starts to come back...it is still winter after all, and it's been raining like the days of Noah around here for like a week...hopefully when I get these pieces back in a couple of weeks it won't be too cold or rainy to spray them down with some sort of primer......And what should that be Dave? @Davedacarpainter I'll go get me some.
Either an epoxy primer on bare metal or some sort of washprimer(etch) and regular primer on top of that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.