Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no I was referring to Dean not you . Lol
Dean has a hard on for the Ford Crossflow engine. Although mine isnt a true full factory crossflow, the head is what matters here. And I’ve got one. Therefore, the following.
The irony escapes me. How he could lose his sht over my decision to go with another brand I-6 borders on childish.
In other words.....” waaah”
Just look back...
When I decided to go ITB,..he threw every picture of just about every engine ever made he could to make the case for how superior they were/are over a single throttle body.
When designing the throat transition of that air box for the itb’s, I got pictures of Honda’s, and Toyota’s, Ferrari’s Jaguar, and Lamborghini’s...
When talking about a glass top for the box, I get pictures of Chevrolet’s...

You name it,...if I made a statement, and he replied,..he’d use pictures from every manufacturer OTHER than the one I was asking about, and they got thrown in for consideration.

Which brings me back around to here..
When I raced a ford,..it was personal. If the car said ford on it, it should have a ford in it. It’s the way the big three sold cars.It was always win on Sunday, Sell on Monday.
At the same time there’s the hot-rodders of the 50’s,....stickin Cadillac, Chrysler, and Lincoln V8’s in place of the flathead that used to be in a 32 coupe.
For them, it was always how to go fast, and what it took to make that happen. And it didn’t matter one rats red bunion hole what had to be mixed with what to make that happen. Until the 60’s came along. The big three figured it out,..they put decent combos together to help them keep winning on Sunday, so they could keep selling on Monday..
Chevrolet just figured it out a little better. And that held true until the 80’s
If you had a Ford powered Ford in the 70’s and early 80’s you got your ass handed to you......often.
There were no heads for an SBF back then,..You had to have a Cleveland if you expected to beat a decently modded SBC,..and if bow tie dude searched around Chevrolet’s stockpile of performance sht the factory had on a shelf back then..you better have something for it,..or again..he’d have your ass waiting for you at the finish line.
Step up to a weak ass headed 390,..and they had a rectangle port headed 396...a 428, got met with a even better 427, and for the longest time....there was nothing from ford out there for Chevrolet’s 454. And when the 460 came,...it was in an big assed LTD or Lincoln.
If I had to suck up one SBC swap into a Mustang here in the south,..I had to suck up a dozen..Everytime it was “ it’s cheaper to go fast with a Chevy” and with the boring assed LT1 SBC, it was true. By the late 80’s, heads for the 5.0 finally started arriving, and that changed things a bit,...but what cost 2000 for a decent set of TFS heads back then, was still about half the cost of the damn things that sat on a 350 SBC.

It’s cheaper to build a SBC..The hot rodder re-emerges.
They take a light weight chassis. Stuff a powerful engine in the car, and do one of two things with it...
1. Grudge race it...( and nobody gives a phck what's under the hood)
2. Bracket race it...And it doesn't matter how fast or slow it is, it's all about how cheaply these guys can get that junk to the track...( So they can keep pounding nails on the coffin of Head up drag racing)
And...the perception is still there...its cheaper to build a race car when there's a SBC and a PG in their Nytol-mobile.

Nascar isnt about the brand anymore, it's about the celebrity driving the car...if you can tell me when the last time was that you saw a 4 door mustang on the street,..I'll tell you it was in one of those bad dreams you had after eating Taco Bell after 10 PM.

The same holds true for the top Classes in the NHRA...can anybody even tell what brand those funny "cars" are supposed to be? PRO STOCK ( again, barely recognizable) Stopped using engines that the Big 3 make years ago..

Why kid yourselves? Alot of you have so many Chinese parts in/on your engine, it stopped being a Ford long ago...
It only " looks" like a ford.

As for me....( you need to stand next to me at a cruise-in or show) NOBODY knows what they are looking at...they dont know what car it is, Nor do they know what engine its is..yet...they they still like it. Australian, Venezuelian,.Japanese...it won't matter.

Why the hell would I lose one minutes worth of sleep fretting over instead of saying I have this Maverick engine brought back from the dead, and held together with luck, and JB weld, or a 2jz out of a Lexus?

That is a purely rhetorical question...I wont.

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Loved It!
Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Bravo mike! I'm with ya on the driver status symbol in big time racing today.
And I applaud anybody that works on their own crap, and I don't care what brand it is as long as it has some semblance of class. I just gravitate to ford and by the wrench of the almighty mechanical gods it's gonna have a ford engine.
i do appreciate a well done anything stuck anywhere as far as automotive equipment is concerned as long as it is not a prius, just the name can suck the manhood right out of well, a man.
Just like religion, sexual orientation and cross breading dogs, I have my preference but it's not up to me to say or convince someone else they are wrong or should not do it, I can and will voice my opinion but that is just to say that is what I would not do.
Now back to car :poo:.
Is it going to be monster 2jz.10?

The 2jz is one of the best engines out there. Even the 1jz holds a lot of respect. I have a couple drift buddies that swear by both.

Screenshot_20190812-212824_Facebook.jpg

He beats on that thing relentlessly and it keeps on living.

Reactions: 1 user
The 2jz is one of the best engines out there. Even the 1jz holds a lot of respect. I have a couple drift buddies that swear by both.

Screenshot_20190812-212824_Facebook.jpg

He beats on that thing relentlessly and it keeps on living.
The white Cressida started life as a 1jz on stock twins that was a drift machine . Then got a single turbo . Went up and up in power . Got painted and he decided he was done made it back into a full interior street car . The 1j finally had enough of the party . We had another friend selling a 2j short which went to my engine builder . Got fresh diamond pistons and Carrillo rods I believe . Got the ported 1j head with the hks cams and behold the 1.5j as they call it .

I'm at dinner with Kate tonight..The conversation manages to come around to how much of my lunch hour I spent in the garage...* hint ...it was more than an hour.
I tell her that it's the welding that corrupts my perception of time...especially when I have to blend thin metal.
" I know,....the TIG versus the MIG,.....I've heard it before" she says...
" Oh,...okay then smarty pants... Which one is the artists technique, and which one is isn't?"
She thinks for a minute........and guesses TIG...
:dammit:
" Good guess I tell her."
She says" the only reason you bring up sht like this is when your happy with yourself...What kind of "art" did you melt together that you're so smug?"

"I welded the beginning of the water lines that will be my cooling lines to the side of the engine" I say...

" That's nice baby," she says,...and takes a drink of wine...

Nobody appreciates me.....I'm gonna have to cut my ear off .

• Haha
  • Happy
I'm at dinner with Kate tonight..The conversation manages to come around to how much of my lunch hour I spent in the garage...* hint ...it was more than an hour.
I tell her that it's the welding that corrupts my perception of time...especially when I have to blend thin metal.
" I know,....the TIG versus the MIG,.....I've heard it before" she says...
" Oh,...okay then smarty pants... Which one is the artists technique, and which one is isn't?"
She thinks for a minute........and guesses TIG...
:dammit:
" Good guess I tell her."
She says" the only reason you bring up sht like this is when your happy with yourself...What kind of "art" did you melt together that you're so smug?"

"I welded the beginning of the water lines that will be my cooling lines to the side of the engine" I say...

" That's nice baby," she says,...and takes a drink of wine...

Nobody appreciates me.....I'm gonna have to cut my ear off .
Now I understand
What you tried to say to me
And how you suffered for your sanity
And how you tried to set them free

They would not listen, they did not know how
Perhaps they'll listen now

Starry Starry Night by Don McLean

For those of you not old enough to remember Don McLean, here's the link...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxHnRfhDmrk

So I'm fighting the urge to make "fast and furious " or drifting references, but agree with Mike on the hot rodding methodology. Back in the day you put in whatever made the car faster or whatever you could afford. Today, it's all LSX stuff. Go for it Mike. I only ask that the intake receives those artistic "rd" fins.

So I'm fighting the urge to make "fast and furious " or drifting references, but agree with Mike on the hot rodding methodology. Back in the day you put in whatever made the car faster reliable or whatever you could afford. Today, it's all LSX stuff. Go for it Mike. I only ask that the intake receives those artistic "rd" fins.

Fixt. Thing is: Both are probably true. It's fits the squares in this thread and Mike's "fun meter" just pegged. :shrug:

I dunno bout you all but the sewing machine tractor mower motor would have had a pro bono lawyer by now after the ass-whooping I'd already given it on the evening news. I'm sure it has a use, I just dunno what that use is.

tractor pull
:think:

Fixt. Thing is: Both are probably true. It's fits the squares in this thread and Mike's "fun meter" just pegged. :shrug:

I dunno bout you all but the sewing machine tractor mower motor would have had a pro bono lawyer by now after the ass-whooping I'd already given it on the evening news. I'm sure it has a use, I just dunno what that use is.

tractor pull
:think:
To " daze and confuse".
Of all of the possible engine combinations typically seen at a large venue car show, having the "only one of its kind" is by far more important ( to me) than it being the fastest.
( There'll always be something faster,...so why make that any part of a design/build objective?)
And,..despite my claims about it not being reliable enough,......last time I checked, there aren't a lot of members here running belly buttons that would trust their own junk to make it 700 miles round trip over a three day weekend. The problem with the engine is that it sits on the edge...Its on firm ground today,...but how much further can it be pushed before the whole freakin thing pulls a Wyle E Coyote....and ends up being a small poof of dust at the bottom of the desert?

You'll have to take my word for it...having had SEVERAL engines making in excess of 750 hp, one that made over 1200...I have a reference for fast.
The noisy, unreliable, oil leaking, "how long will it last" banger that is in the monster is making over 400 hp now that the old intake is on, and boost is at 10 psi. And admittedly, when comparing it to your average blown 5.0 , 400 hp isn't that lofty of a number. But I'm not using some set of aftermarket heads intended to replace the weaknesses and restrictions that came from the factory to do it with,...in my case,..completely the opposite.

A Crossflow head is 40 years old. And was never intended to support more than 200 hp. The engine is over 40 years old...and was never intended to support more than 200 hp. MOF, the factory rated a 250 at 125 hp,..and the Australian Crossflow4.1 was only rated to 160. So.... Let's give me one inch of latitude here then..

Put together a stock crank/stock head/ stock block 5.0. Throw your whipple on that.
1. Let's se how much power it'll make. (What? Will a 5.0 forced to breathe through a set of explorer or E7 heads even make any power?)
2. If you can, push the engine to 2.5 times its factory rated power. (Given the factory rated 215/225 number)
3. Tell me that you wouldn't have concerns for its reliability.

And on a funny note...( just in case you're wondering) Our buddy Dean has returned to FEP..

"Im back here. After having my Prince Albert Hurt by Overhead Toyota loving w@nkers and morons.

I additionally Got rid of my Variable Valve Timing 24 valve DOHC AWD auto Nissan.

The in line six was a gas wasting pile, the body and chassis made of iron oxide. NEVER AGAIN....

Fixed my wifes twin cam 3SGE RAV4 Pos.

Ford Wiring is okay, better than having to pull all the ECM and injector wiring in an engine bay with no space. TOYOTA CAN ROT IN HADES.

I'll fill out a 17 item 'BurtHurt report in response.

here...edited to be androgynus and free of w@nk words.

bhr002editedyea.jpg

Last dead beat Toy I'll ever touch. If anyone knows more about the evils of Toyotas 17 specific tool engineering, it's me.

I would truly rather work on a Lamborghini Urraco than a Toyota ever again."

• Haha
And on a funny note...( just in case you're wondering) Our buddy Dean has returned to FEP..

"Im back here. After having my Prince Albert Hurt by Overhead Toyota loving w@nkers and morons.

I additionally Got rid of my Variable Valve Timing 24 valve DOHC AWD auto Nissan.

The in line six was a gas wasting pile, the body and chassis made of iron oxide. NEVER AGAIN....

Ford Wiring is okay, better than having to pull all the ECM and injector wiring in an engine bay with no space. TOYOTA CAN ROT IN HADES.

bhr002editedyea.jpg

Last dead beat Toy I'll ever touch. If anyone knows more about the evils of Toyotas 17 specific tool engineering, it's me.

This is a little disturbing. Did anyone happen to get his belt and shoelaces before they let him back into FEP?

• Haha

bhr002editedyea.jpg

I'm seriously amused by his Toyota hate. They're so reliable, so easy to work on, so few special tools needed, such generous labor times... I was a DIEHARD Ford guy with a healthy appreciation of GM's trucks as recently as 2015... Working on brands other than the domestics and Koreans I'd spent my career fixing till that point showed me how much better and worse it can be. Toyota is as easy to work on as it gets in this modern age, and nothing comes close in reliability.

This is a little disturbing. Did anyone happen to get his belt and shoelaces before they let him back into FEP?
It was a " what happened to everybody" thread..I was just curious to see where he landed, given that he had packed all of his stuff, and flew out the door.

And add to that...this:
Well, 1157 Mike, aka Car Micheal Angelo did the 250 Maverick block with Aluminum Head and Turbo conversion, and he's just done a strip and rebuild to turn it into a 400 hp naturally aspirated streeter with M3 S52 BMW Independent runner EFI and he's just ditched the turbo because he figures he just doesn't need it on a 10.25:1 compression engine that pushes a more radical than E303 solid roller cam to over 6300 rpm, and
pops insane wheelies on 315's and just 7 pounds of boost.

20170301_180015_zps3p3psfrf-jpg.jpg

image-jpeg.jpg

image-jpeg.jpg

Now I know I make a lot of bull sht claims, but when did I ever say that I “popped insane wheelies on a 315 street tire?”

Status
Not open for further replies.