Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm at almost 5yrs with Carmax....6 figures sounds real good to me....but I hate humans and my hands are too dirty to sell BMWs :shrug:
3.5 years here, BMW dealership a mile from my house is trying to recruit me away... It sure is tempting to cut 104 miles off my daily commute, but I'm not crazy about working on German cars, and I like having 3-day weekends.

I'm at almost 5yrs with Carmax....6 figures sounds real good to me....but I hate humans and my hands are too dirty to sell BMWs :shrug:

23 years in retail/ wholesale management has definitely increased my dislike for people. I’ve worked my way up to where I am making a decent living, with enough (maybe not as much as I want) to spend on my fox. It’s absolutely a stress relief to work on it, and to talk about it on here. I envy those who love their work, and hope that before I’m done, I can do some thing I WANT to do, rather than HAVE to do.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, Im sure the info is out there, I’m just gonna have to figure it out. Stock 2jzgte CR looks to be 8.5:1. Stock piston to deck was .005 below. Now I’m gonna be .005 above. Stock GTE compressed gasket was .050. I’ll have to call Cometic to confirm that I’m at .051. Stock GTE chamber was 45cc, now mine is however much less now that .010 was milled off. I think the piston is 16.2 cc..
ive got to look at it more.

All of it. Bolt it together and throw boost at it. Almost seems like you're looking for reasons not to install it and start it up.
Now.....how do you come by that observation?

There is a right way, a wrong way, and a “it’ll do pig” way.

Most of the stuff I do is the it’ll do pig way, except when planning 20+ pounds of boost on a cast piston . I was able to find enough stuff to be able to make a good guess about the final CR might be, but not knowing how far the piston will hang above the deck, and how many cc’s were lost in chamber volume from the .010 milling, it’s all a pointless guess.

All I know is that I already bolted one one together and threw boost at it. After bolting it together, I learn that the chamber volume I thought I had was completely wrong,....and as a result of that, had to try and tune around 10.7:1. As many times as I rattled that engine, had I not had forged pistons in that engine,..it would have died long ago.

I don’t plan on rattling this engine...ever.
So you might be better able to see why I’m making sure that I know what I have this time around. I’m done with noisy, rocking pistons that allow tons of blow by. Like an LS, you’re supposed to be able to count on stupid power potential out of a stock bottom end 2JZ,...and I do not want to have to pull this thing out as a DOA the first time I roll into the throttle past 50%.

The engine is done at the machine shop. The bill is 400. 400.00 bought me a balanced rotating assy, a decked, and machine honed block, a polished crank, and rods fitted with high strength bolts then checked and resized as necessary.
I can’t get it till next Wednesday at least. I took the head to them today, so they could check the chamber volume, so I’ll be able to determine what the CR will be with this .051 Cometic gasket.

If it ends up being anything less than 9.5:1, I’m gonna use it. Stock CR is 8.6:1.

Reactions: 1 users
Now.....how do you come by that observation?

There is a right way, a wrong way, and a “it’ll do pig” way.

Most of the stuff I do is the it’ll do pig way, except when planning 20+ pounds of boost on a cast piston . I was able to find enough stuff to be able to make a good guess about the final CR might be, but not knowing how far the piston will hang above the deck, and how many cc’s were lost in chamber volume from the .010 milling, it’s all a pointless guess.

What the frick? Cast Pistons? So you've spent a gigajillion dollars on it already and you're just going to be like: "Cast Pistons...it'll do pig?"

Cast pistons have a very sensitive personality. If they sense the presences of boost in the future, they will shatter the first time you start it N/A. The internet is full of know it alls who will tell you in violent terms that cast pistons can't make any powa. I can hear the trolls already.

Cast pistons make good power, just don't get them hot or detonate them.

Anyhoo, go to hobby lobby and get a pipette and a some vaseline and a small piece of plexiglass and measure your chambers. I usually buy a cheap picture frame that has plastic, instead of glass. Usually like a buck or 2 at HL or Dollar Tree. When I am done, I toss it, because it will get broken anyway. A little rubbing alcohol and a little jury rigging to get the head perfectly level upside down.

What the frick? Cast Pistons? So you've spent a gigajillion dollars on it already and you're just going to be like: "Cast Pistons...it'll do pig?"

Cast pistons have a very sensitive personality. If they sense the presences of boost in the future, they will shatter the first time you start it N/A. The internet is full of know it alls who will tell you in violent terms that cast pistons can't make any powa. I can hear the trolls already.

Cast pistons make good power, just don't get them hot or detonate them.

Anyhoo, go to hobby lobby and get a pipette and a some vaseline and a small piece of plexiglass and measure your chambers. I usually buy a cheap picture frame that has plastic, instead of glass. Usually like a buck or 2 at HL or Dollar Tree. When I am done, I toss it, because it will get broken anyway. A little rubbing alcohol and a little jury rigging to get the head perfectly level upside down.

This has been the most contradictory reply, I have gotten from you in about.....Ohhhhh,...FOREVER.

If you were close, I'd come over there and tap you in the middle of the forehead repeatedly while going: "Hello!!!.. Is there anybody home?....Earth to Drew!!..come in Drew!!!

This engine was a turbo engine, and will continue to be. ( Only with a much bigger single turbo, better exhaust, better intake, bigger injectors, hotter coils, and with the IAT's controlled using an a2w intercooler, and cooled with water meth) The cast pistons that are there are the same ones that are in everyone of these YouTube vids out there where some goob is bouncing the thing off the 7200rpm rev limiter while boiling the tires at 60mph.
Remember who were talking about here. I'm the guy that thinks anything north of 450-500 rwhp is stupid..and from what I'm reading, that power level with this engine is a walk in the park.
I know that a lean out, or too much timing will be the death nail for those pistons, hence my concern......but there has to be a point where enough is enough.

I spoke to Automotive yesterday asking about my fuel supply lines, and whether I needed to upgrade the -6 hard lines to -8.
He asked me what my intended power level was.....I told him whatever it'll make on the equipment I listed to him, and guessed 450-500rwhp.

He said I'd be fine with only needing the 340lph pump swapped in...(which I have)

Why would I need more? I have a 3000lb car.

This has been the most contradictory reply, I have gotten from you in about.....Ohhhhh,...FOREVER.

If you were close, I'd come over there and tap you in the middle of the forehead repeatedly while going: "Hello!!!.. Is there anybody home?....Earth to Drew!!..come in Drew!!!

This engine was a turbo engine, and will continue to be. ( Only with a much bigger single turbo, better exhaust, better intake, bigger injectors, hotter coils, and with the IAT's controlled using an a2w intercooler, and cooled with water meth) The cast pistons that are there are the same ones that are in everyone of these YouTube vids out there where some goob is bouncing the thing off the 7200rpm rev limiter while boiling the tires at 60mph.
Remember who were talking about here. I'm the guy that thinks anything north of 450-500 rwhp is stupid..and from what I'm reading, that power level with this engine is a walk in the park.
I know that a lean out, or too much timing will be the death nail for those pistons, hence my concern......but there has to be a point where enough is enough.

I spoke to Automotive yesterday asking about my fuel supply lines, and whether I needed to upgrade the -6 hard lines to -8.
He asked me what my intended power level was.....I told him whatever it'll make on the equipment I listed to him, and guessed 450-500rwhp.

He said I'd be fine with only needing the 340lph pump swapped in...(which I have)

Why would I need more? I have a 3000lb car.

I got a notice of this post on my phone and in it you called me Nick. :doh: At least you fixed it!

Just remember, too much is NEVER enough.

I could waste a couple of minutes going to the WAY BACK machine, but I'll just paraphrase.

Monster was turbo'd running well. Taken apart. Removed and sold all the turbo stuff because NA was going to be enough power.
Put it back together NA and said, hmmm, not enough power.
Bought all new turbo stuff to put back on the monster....yada yada.

You see where this is going, right?

A2W intercooler, meth injection, 20+ psi. Seriously, though, with the MS and a boost controller, you can have it all. On days you don't feel like you need the powa, turn the boost down to 10. When some dude in a Corvette asks WTF kinda car is that, turn it up to 20+ and stomp his ass.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I could waste a couple of minutes going to the WAY BACK machine, but I'll just paraphrase.

Monster was turbo'd running well. Taken apart. Removed and sold all the turbo stuff because NA was going to be enough power.
Put it back together NA and said, hmmm, not enough power.
Bought all new turbo stuff to put back on the monster....yada yada.

You see where this is going, right?

A2W intercooler, meth injection, 20+ psi. Seriously, though, with the MS and a boost controller, you can have it all. On days you don't feel like you need the powa, turn the boost down to 10. When some dude in a Corvette asks WTF kinda car is that, turn it up to 20+ and stomp his ass.
I have all of that. Just have to rig a " Jekyll, and Hyde" switch so that I can change the tune with a flick of a switch.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
The machine shop called. Head chamber volume is 41cc. Milling the head 10 reduced chamber volume by 4cc.

When plugging all of that into a compression calculator, and if the stock data can be trusted, my static Cr is 9.09:1, using the .051 Cometic gasket I already have.

I believe that THAT will do pig....

I’m paid. I pick the engine up on Wednesday. Total bill is now 425.00, and I’m off on Thursday again.
I do believe I’m gonna have an assembled engine Thursday .....it’s gonna be like Christmas, and I can’t wait.

Reactions: 7 users
Just ordered a standard ratio manual rack, and an entire column and EPS ECU out of a 2009 Prius. From what I’m reading, a Prius ecu only needs 12v, gnd, and a switched 12v to enable the ecu. After it gets power, it searches for a VSS signal, and when it doesn’t see that, goes into fail safe mode, and defaults to an “ assist” level for 40 mph. Reviews say it’s very similar to the effort required for power steering at that level. Furthermore, if it completely fails, it’s a pass through design, and the thing just no longer assists. After that, it’s the effort required to steer the car like it has a manual rack.
Im gonna try and be considerate of a fox body, and modify mine to work without compromising the entire existing support structure, so that the 1 or 2 of you that might consider doing this to your car, will be able to use my example.

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.