Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys...... :nonono:

Theres no freakin way I’d trade my car for that car regardless of how much money he kicked in. I was waiting for Drew to come along and rip me for the implied decision after my last lecture about buying old rusty cars that have zero aftermarket.

• Sponsors (?)

You guys...... :nonono:

Theres no freakin way I’d trade my car for that car regardless of how much money he kicked in. I was waiting for Drew to come along and rip me for the implied decision after my last lecture about buying old rusty cars that have zero aftermarket.

I'm glad I scrolled to the bottom before making a WTF post. It's not like you can't find Rancheros parked forgotten, in just about every trailer park and unpaved road across the country. :O_o:

Wait you could still go the non Dodge durango...

154481.jpg

Nevermind

I think stepping up your game would be good. If you want to prove your meddle, get a 400M to do anything besides weigh 600lbs and waste the iron ore it was cast with would be impressive enough, but to put the Monster touches on that...a front splitter, rear fender flares to house the 10 ply HD truck tires and the Dana 16 or 14 bolt back there would be awesome.
Of course, I am sure you would fly @Davedacarpainter in again, but this time to work the magic with some candy orange with green and purple flames adorning the sheet metal.
The interior would only take 2 weeks, being half the size of the Monster and the old, "If I did another one, I could do it quicker and better this time."

And I think to reflect your advancing age, you would give in and go Gasser Monster Dually and put a straight front axle in it.
Finally to give it that EXCITEMENT factor when driving, stay with 4 wheel manual drum brakes....because the 400M isn't going fast enough to need anything else. Maybe you should go off the reservation and put a bastard engine in it. I'm thinking an International 345. 8 ITB's twin turbo with a Medusa wig on top feeding the 8 ITB's.

It would be like putting lipstick on a pig, but hey, you'd get noticed when Cruisin the Coast.

:cheers: :stir:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
All week long I’ve been trying to figure out what to do about the oil pump pick up tube, now that the external -16 contraption won’t work. I went to Home Depot and bought a bunch of 1” plumbing fittings, and some steel 1” threaded pipe. The fittings were galvanized, and despite grinding off the galvanizing, the fitting welded like sht. I made sure that they were steel, but it was still a disaster.
Besides that,..it was gonna look like ass.

I needed to turn the entrance fitting 90*, tightly so that it would not be lower than the bottom of the pan. I got online and found two steel -16 90* fittings, and ordered them from summit. They had to come from the mfg...I still don’t have them.

I got online again looking for mild steel 1” mandrel bends so I could make the damn thing. I found th too, but the bend radius was too lazy, and would end up hanging just as low as the -16 hose end was.

While I was online, I start looking for some large diameter pick-up tube from some other vehicle, figuring maybe something like an F250 superduty would have a big assed pick-up tube. I stumbled into some diesel dude talking about how restrictive the factory Dodge Cummins diesel pick up tube was, with it’s 7/8” I’d , and several tight 90 degree bends..

That vid killed the plan to put those tight 90* fittings ( that still aren’t here) anywhere in the new design.

The whole week goes by, the engine is hanging with its pan off, it’s in my phckin way,...I gotta figure something out.

On Wednesday, 4 days since having to pull the engine back out of the car, I call the machine shop that decked my block and asked him if he had some big assed I.d. pick-up tube laying around that I could buy from him so I could cut it up and make one.

He said he did,..but it was in the other shop, and he’d have to hunt it up. That took till today. When I get there, he’s got two of the things from a Cummins diesel laying there, clean, waiting on me.

He won’t accept any money from me.

I get home and measure these things, they are 7/8” I.d. I need 1”. I decide to make two of them, and Siamese the two of them at the inlet. Whether just one would’ve been adequate, I’ll never know..the pan is now cut the hell up, and there is two of those damn things in there.
IMAG0434_zps8ruqzawr.jpg

So,...now it won’t matter how hard I rage around the corner, there’s always gonna be some submerged pick up tube.
those heads are screened underneath,.for whatever reason I decided to make them removeable,...(like I’ll ever be able to get the tubes completely clean, ever again.)

I figured I’d put them in the pan. they’re tigged. If there’s some small pinhole in one of the welds, it can leak in the pan.

The outside however is migged...I trust that weld not to leak.

It does look kinda hideous though...but it doesn’t hang below the bottom of the pan, and it should never starve for oil.
IMAG0433_zpsuyqzth7b.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Excellent work Mike, you continue to overcome the hurdles.. but at this point.... why not just do a damn tubular K member?
It wouldn’t have mattered as far as the oil inlet fitting hitting the rack was concerned,...but if I go to try and put the engine in next time I’m down there and I still can’t get the engine far enough forward.....There’ll be something tubular in the future.

Oh,..and I wasn’t kidding about the Ranchero being my fav car,....And I’d trade the Monster away in a minute if one came along...it just has to be the right one...
1971-Ford-Ranchero.jpg

Factory 429 SCJ car....I’m sure there’s one of these in some trailer park just waiting on me to come along. Makes me start thinkin maybe I need to put some vinyl wood on the current monster...:chin
Anyway,..they’re out there... 9k buys this one...
Ranchero-Craigslist-1-1.jpg

I’ve probably dumped that much money on just this new engine already.....
Itll never be though....I’d go batsht crazy sitting in the boring assed interior.
IMG_1168-620x465.jpg

And....this engine compartment....needs somebody who can do something more than twist a wingnut on the chrome aircleaner...
Ranchero-Craigslist-11-620x465.jpg

Meh....maybe I’ll just keep the Monster instead..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
the dually ranchero you posted originally spoke to my soul. Is that local? I need it. A straight axle swap and some boggers and you'd be hard pressed to drive through east texas without panties being thrown at it and sticking to the side.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
the dually ranchero you posted originally spoke to my soul. Is that local? I need it. A straight axle swap and some boggers and you'd be hard pressed to drive through east texas without panties being thrown at it and sticking to the side.
Cummins-swap it (5.9 12v only, don't need nunnadat fancy :poo: to roll coal!) and put stacks on it and you'd get all of Arkansas too.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Even though I triumphantly displayed a pic of the coil pack mounting solution I came up with, the 29/20 hindsight part of the thing is that
A. The plug wires are a sonofabitch to get on/off with the plug so deep in the head.
B. As close as the engine is to the firewall, routing the plug wires behind the behind the motor so that they will fit under the engine valley cover has made that a jug-phck.
C. Getting the starter on/off will be a bitch with that six-pack menagerie mounted right behind it.

So,..that leaves me back in shopping mode. I know what I want,....I just gotta find the right stuff to satisfy both halves of my brain.

The OCD side wants it to be clutter free. And the single most clutter free solution out there is to use D585 truck coils, and using the mount kits that are out there,...directly mount those directly onto the plug.
Hidden,...under the valley cover, with only the wire harness to worry about routing behind the engine.
71Px8UegaNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Kits like this are all over the place...unfortunately,...so are the bad reviews. Add to that that complete kits like the one above are around 500.00,....and Then the other side of my brain wakes up....
He says “ I ain’t spending no 500.00 to do this”

You read the reviews about the bounty of eBay and Amazon off shore D585 coils ( like the ones pictured above). If you pay attention to what you’re reading, the take away is.......Don’t buy any D585 coil that doesn’t have the letters : AC DELCO on the box, and if you read even deeper, buy the ones that have the white epoxy, not the black epoxy.
:doh:
And when you start looking for those,.....black epoxy ones are 40.00 ea, and white epoxy ones are 100.00+
The coil boots, and the mount brackets are available separately. As far as I’m concerned, I’m getting those from China. Both of those kits cost about 60.00 each....so 120.00 bucks.

The coils............What to do about the coils. Left brain decides that I’m definitely buying AC Delco coils...Right brain decides that the white epoxy coils ain’t happening ( the right side brain has a tendency to use slang and cuss a lot).
So the search begins...We find 6 black epoxy AC Delco new in boxes for 123.00. To keep R Brain happy, I buy those.

Now I just have to choke down the other set of coils and the two different sets of plug wires that are either wrong, or now cut to fit the old location, basically rendering them trash..Cause...the 8 LS coils that I did have.....are Chinese.

Status
Not open for further replies.