Status
Not open for further replies.
You ain't gonna be satisfied until it's your vision of perfect, and you know what?

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

To say I’m disgusted would be putting it lightly.
This is where 8 hours puts me. The engine is mounted, the driveshaft is in, the tail shaft mount had to be rebuilt, as did the engine mounts..On any other day, I’d be happy.
IMAG0436_zpsjr87exn4.jpg

Except it has to come back out..

For the “ told ya so” -ers, You get to bask in the knowledge that you told me so.

I forgot to put the baffle in the fckin pan...and...it leaks at the new weld. Right at the front corner of the new angle cut section of the pan. If it was just this leak, I’d probably try to fix it as is. Whether I try to weld it, or use some sort of epoxy I woulda been up for it, but...I left the freakin baffle out by mistake.

And that’s gonna bug me.

More than the leak.

So,...I’ll have to let it soak in...Thursday is the next day I’ll get to mess with it....By then I should be able to choke down the notion of having to remove the pan,.....again.

I go out of town to see the offspring at college and this happens. Should I say I'm surprised and disappointed by this turn of events? Or is it not surprised? The bed at the Hampton Inn was so hard my soul hurts, so I am at a loss of thinking right now. But, pretty much been there, done that, thru a breaker bar thru the windshield once. Sip some whiskey, scheme your way thru it.

To say I’m disgusted would be putting it lightly.
This is where 8 hours puts me. The engine is mounted, the driveshaft is in, the tail shaft mount had to be rebuilt, as did the engine mounts..On any other day, I’d be happy.
IMAG0436_zpsjr87exn4.jpg

Except it has to come back out..

For the “ told ya so” -ers, You get to bask in the knowledge that you told me so.

I forgot to put the baffle in the fckin pan...and...it leaks at the new weld. Right at the front corner of the new angle cut section of the pan. If it was just this leak, I’d probably try to fix it as is. Whether I try to weld it, or use some sort of epoxy I woulda been up for it, but...I left the freakin baffle out by mistake.

And that’s gonna bug me.

More than the leak.

So,...I’ll have to let it soak in...Thursday is the next day I’ll get to mess with it....By then I should be able to choke down the notion of having to remove the pan,.....again.

Sucks!! No other way to say it. We’ve all been through something like this to one extent or the other, but I’m sure the end result will make you forget about this hiccup!

I’m gonna try and pull just the engine this time around. I think with where the engine is, I should be able to get to all the bolts.
If I do that, I’ll put a couple of caps on the -10 vent fittings on the cam covers, and put the thing on the stand and flip the engine over to r&r the pan.
Its a double edge sword for me though...it’s just as easy to remove the entire engine while still attached to the transmission. ( now that the upper radiator saddle is removed) The down side being that I have to lay/sit under the engine to remove the pan, scrape the old gasket, and then re-install the pan,.......while the whole thing swings like the breeze hangin from a chain suspended by a 199.00 Chinese engine hoist....talk about tempting fate.

No,.....there’ll be no other damn Japanese engine in the future for the Monster...
Besides,..after having converted over to an I6,..and working around them every single day, I’ll never have another V8 in any “ hobby” car I’m a part of.

And speaking of a hobby car that I’m a part of:....The engine is out. The pan is off. The gaskets are scraped, the leaks are welded shut,..the thing is leak tested, and..the baffle is back in place.
IMAG0440.jpg

IMAG0441.jpg

I feel much better now.

Reactions: 7 users
Cant say really. With a BMW it‘s 3liters, amazing power, super smooth,...different.
Oil leaks, more oil leaks, even more oil leaks...

Been working on the things three and a half weeks now... So many oil leaks...

Thing is, everything you like about them, you are 100% correct. The only engines out there that rival a BMW I6 in smoothness are Lexus V8s (and V8s designed for Lexus and shared with Toyota, like the 2UZ in my 4Runner), and as I get older, I appreciate that more and more.

Even Mercedes Benz wishes their :poo: ran as smooth as a BMW I6 or a Lexus V8.

The fact that BMW is so bat:poo: crazy that even their 4-cylinder engines have twin turbos now (so do their I6s and V8s, which is why they make insane power for their displacement) was part of the appeal in going to work for them.

Last edited:
Oil leaks, more oil leaks, even more oil leaks...

Been working on the things three and a half weeks now... So many oil leaks...

Thing is, everything you like about them, you are 100% correct. The only engines out there that rival a BMW I6 in smoothness are Lexus V8s (and V8s designed for Lexus and shared with Toyota, like the 2UZ in my 4Runner), and as I get older, I appreciate that more and more.

Even Mercedes Benz wishes their :poo: ran as smooth as a BMW I6 or a Lexus V8.

The fact that BMW is so bat:poo: crazy that even their 4-cylinder engines have twin turbos now (so do their I6s and V8s, which is why they make insane power for their displacement) was part of the appeal in going to work for them.
Take it from the guy that looks under the hood of these things....the 4 cyl, and 95% of their 6 cylinder product use a single, twin scroll turbo. The engine cover reads “ Twin Power”, but that refers to the single twin scroll, and double Vanos ( variable valve lift/cam timing).
The only engines that BMW have that have two turbos are the Ever leaky, oil using, smoking V8’s, and the completely forged i6’s in the M cars.

And while im on a roll....The bottom end of my engine looks like an aftermarket block. Even though there aren’t 6 main cap bolts, the 2 bolt caps are bolstered by such heavy main webbing, it’s no wonder these 200 c.i. Engines support over 700 hp In stock form. Add to that the 3/8” cap screw rods, and the forged crank, and it’s a no brainer.

In reality, if I had my pick, and the engine wasn’t so obscure, there’d be a Barra in place of the tooge, but the starting price of the 2jz, the domestic availability of performance and replacement parts outweighed it (literally) compared to the much larger Barra. ( especially considering all the sht I’ve had to go through just to make it fit)

Take it from the guy that looks under the hood of these things....the 4 cyl, and 95% of their 6 cylinder product use a... twin scroll turbo.
That's what I meant, posting before I was awake = bad.

It's insanity, tiny little FWD crossover? Twin-scroll turbo, direct injection, paddle shifters, an electronic valve on the exhaust to control the sound, and brakes bigger than my 4Runner's, and while they're at it, the most advanced electronics in the industry, and Harmon Kardon audio so you can rock the :leghump: out...

For the price of a Rav4 Limited. Now granted, that Rav4 will still be running 250,000 miles from now, but... Well, that list above is still pretty tempting.

(All of that is on the X1 Sdrive 2.8i that I did the PDI on last night before I left and is still sitting in my bay.)

Last edited:
I hate BMWs....but I'm still looking for a 328 car to enter HPDE racing with. I absolutely hate them and wouldn't mind rubbing the wall or TKOing one on the track. I could've entered with a tuned down version of my fox....but there's no way I'd trash it like that.

I hate BMWs....but I'm still looking for a 328 car to enter HPDE racing with. I absolutely hate them and wouldn't mind rubbing the wall or TKOing one on the track. I could've entered with a tuned down version of my fox....but there's no way I'd trash it like that.
If you worked on them at a BMW dealership, you’d love them. Especially when you quote a broke ass one at xyz hours @ a labor rate like some of our tenured techs have ( like 35-40.00 hr)

Status
Not open for further replies.