Status
Not open for further replies.
so what are the plans with the new transmission?? gonna try and run it or just make the swap plate?
Depends on a few things:
How many speeds it has.
How power capable it is.
How badly I’m gonna have to hack up the drive shaft.

the transmission linkage is on the other side, fortunately I have a cable operated shifter. That is a must..I have to able to operate the trans with that new shifter.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Whaddam I gonna do with the monster engine?

1566698613038.png

How long will the current combo be in the car? I cant see you ripping it out before cruising the coast
I'll keep it in there for the foreseeable future. It has to make CtC with the current engine, there'd be no way in hell I'll be able to swap the 2jz ( I gotta come up with a name for the new engine) in in that time frame.
I have no clue what I'm in for actually. On the outside it looks like a cam and spring swap, a new intake, a new exhaust. ( all of which I can buy), The only fab work being hacking that aluminum pan up to make it a rear sump, modifying the pick up tube. Mounting the engine and trans, and hopefully being able to adapt my driveshaft to it. ( I'm hoping my current DS is too long, and it'll only need to be shortened, and that goofy front yoke adapted to the A340.) make my existing shifter work that trans. Lastly tying the new exhaust header to the old down pipe system.
What I don't know is what happens to the ms3x?

Reactions: 1 user
I'll keep it in there for the foreseeable future. It has to make CtC with the current engine, there'd be no way in hell I'll be able to swap the 2jz ( I gotta come up with a name for the new engine) in in that time frame.
I have no clue what I'm in for actually. On the outside it looks like a cam and spring swap, a new intake, a new exhaust. ( all of which I can buy), The only fab work being hacking that aluminum pan up to make it a rear sump, modifying the pick up tube. Mounting the engine and trans, and hopefully being able to adapt my driveshaft to it. ( I'm hoping my current DS is too long, and it'll only need to be shortened, and that goofy front yoke adapted to the A340.) make my existing shifter work that trans. Lastly tying the new exhaust header to the old down pipe system.
What I don't know is what happens to the ms3x?
That i can answer, you simply need to wire the 2jz wiring harness [ assuming it comes with it ] into the MS3X. its super easy to do, the outputs for the ignition and injectors just need to follow the firing order of the engine. output A= cylinder 1 B= whatever is next ect.. you will use the ignition and injector outputs from the MS3x card not the mainboard, the outputs from the mainboard become usable for whatever... MS3 can use the extra injector outputs for almost anything you need fans, idle valves, vvt control.. whatever.

That i can answer, you simply need to wire the 2jz wiring harness [ assuming it comes with it ] into the MS3X. its super easy to do, the outputs for the ignition and injectors just need to follow the firing order of the engine. output A= cylinder 1 B= whatever is next ect.. you will use the ignition and injector outputs from the MS3x card not the mainboard, the outputs from the mainboard become usable for whatever... MS3 can use the extra injector outputs for almost anything you need fans, idle valves, vvt control.. whatever.
The factory ecu and engine harness is intact.

The factory ecu and engine harness is intact.
Remember you’re going to want to run LS coils which I think you have . The stock stuff runs an igniter .

I’m wondering if it would be easier and cleaner to adapt the harness you have now . That 2j harness is big and bulky and nothing special . The ecu isn’t worth much either

Remember you’re going to want to run LS coils which I think you have . The stock stuff runs an igniter .

I’m wondering if it would be easier and cleaner to adapt the harness you have now . That 2j harness is big and bulky and nothing special . The ecu isn’t worth much either
I do not have LS coils, I have EDIS right now..( not guessing that will work). I also have to wonder about the VVTI...what controls that? Will the MS3x do the whole engine?
At the same time, I have to be able to run that A340 trans, unless it can be controlled w/an outboard controller.

I do not have LS coils, I have EDIS right now..( not guessing that will work). I also have to wonder about the VVTI...what controls that? Will the MS3x do the whole engine?
At the same time, I have to be able to run that A340 trans, unless it can be controlled w/an outboard controller.
oh mike.... the ms3x can do an entire coyote with 4 cam vvt and sequential everything... yes it can do your engine with fewer cams and fewer cylinders just fine. you will even have inputs left over for VSS and wheel speed sensors for traction control ect..

Been reading a lot this
oh mike.... the ms3x can do an entire coyote with 4 cam vvt and sequential everything... yes it can do your engine with fewer cams and fewer cylinders just fine. you will even have inputs left over for VSS and wheel speed sensors for traction control ect..
Go into your bathroom, stand in front of the mirror, and say: " I'm the man"
New
The next item to obsess over is the trans. From what I'm reading that A340 has the same ratios as a 4r70w, and can " be modified" to live behind a higher horsepower engine with a simple VB reprogramming kit, and some upgraded servo's, But what controls that thing?

Well, after several conversations with the engine supplier, I think it's finally gonna ship.
The problem is that there are numerous suppliers, and everyone of them ( on both coasts) are showing pics of these engines, claiming that they're all 40-60k mileage engines. The prices are all over the place, ranging from 2799 for the engine only to about 3500 with the trans attached.
And everywhere in between.
I paid 2999 for mine. It included shipping, but there was a residential up charge to have it delivered to a residential address.
That, plus tax brought the thing up to slightly over 3300..

Add to that the equally numerous you tube videos out there either bragging up the engine, or dissing the supplier for shipping a problem engine,...and you become Leary.
As you would be when buying any sight unseen15 year old junkyard engine from a supplier 2000 miles away. From a car that lived it's life in another country 10,000 miles away.

But today was the come to Jesus conversation. He was getting testy with me because he thought I was being overly nit picky. Basically told me that he was ready to refund my money.

Said he didn't need the sale of a single used 2jz that bad to have to keep justifying to me that the engine was in the condition he listed it in.

That didn't stop me from telling him that the drive belt on the engine that was listed as ultra-clean, and low mile looked like it had been on the engine for way longer than 40-60k miles.
image.jpeg

I apologized, told him that while he was probably getting frustrated with me, he had to understand that I was buying an engine that I expected would be turn key. Told him that all I planned to change was the oil pan, the oil pump, the water pump, timing belt, cams and springs.
And with a different intake and exhaust manifold, and bigger injectors......expect it to make 500 WHP.

And...( here's the kicker...) told him that despite the fact that he was only selling one used 2jz to a single individual,...the monster is a future mag car that only needs to be at the right car show, and ichibanjdm will be seen as the supplier by thousands....and if it makes it on the right youtube vid.....by 10's of thousands.

The final touch on the " make sure we don't fck this guy" mandate was I linked him a pic of the current engine and the current car that engine is in, and...

Things changed.

Now I get a note from dude that he just had his guys do a full compression test and hand picked a different engine that showed no signs of rust behind the VVTI gear, with additional pics of the timing belt to confirm the the engine he ships me is indeed a low mile engine.

I'm happy.

• Hell Yeah!
  • Winner
Reactions: 9 users
@CarMichael Angelo
Is your car workspace air conditioned? I need to do a pile of things to my car and it has been too hot to work in the garage. I don't know how you managed it with the knee problems you had...
It is air conditioned,..heated too.
I never really made a big deal about that because of the nature of the beast.
My knees hurt regardless of the temps mostly due to standing on the pavement for long periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.