Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because for you the damage is already done. It's not about what you have or haven't taken recently, it's about what you've taken back in the day, when your hair was long, and your thoughts were short(er).
I talk about having only two brain cells left and they are fighting with each other most of the time. :hide:

• Sponsors (?)

So,...as is the norm for me..too much idle time usually results in me deciding to change something that's either not right, or improve something else thats needing improving.
Up for consideration today is the whole freakin engine......again.

There has got to be something wrong with the pistons as a result of the initial first assembly. The machine shop improperly machined the cylinders initially, resulting in too much taper at the bottom, and left tool marks in a couple of cylinders that required that I tear it back apart, and had to force the machine shop to re-do the sleeves, and provide a new bore and finish hone.
Which they did.
I then put new rings in the engine that I meticulously gapped slightly tighter in order to control or eliminate the blow by from last time.
What I didn't check was whether or not the cylinder taper that was in the initial build had damaged the piston skirts, causing them to collapse slightly, which in turn would allow them to rock more than normal,..and as a result, compromise the ring seal,...allowing for greater than normal blow by, and be much noisier than it should be.

Which I think I have.
Add to that the excessive top end noise related to the solid roller, and you have this entire rock concert sound level noise under the hood that masks potential damage related noise(s) that you would normally be able to hear if all this racket wasn't going on.

The fix for this is obvious...new pistons, a hydraulic roller, or flat tappet cam, new lifters, new rings, a re-balance, new head gasket and some machine work.
probably 3k-4k. maybe less.

OR....

I sell the thing and leave it alone and in the car until some rat rodder dude buys it...(maybe I could get what??? 3-4k for it) and pull it.

There's' a Barra in the US. A complete 2011 factory refurb the guy wants 6k for. It doesn't have a guarantee though. and it don't fit. And it wont bolt up to my trans,...but I have the ECU to run it,...and I am the king of making sht fit.
I put another Chinee turbo on the thing,...it makes 400-500 hp easy, and I have the only Barra powered Monster in the US.
And it's quiet,....and Its reliable,...

OR...

I buy one of the multitude of F150 pull out coyotes that are out there w/ like 40k miles on them for w/ an attached 6r80 for 4200 shipped..
and I leave the turbo out of the equation, because I'll have a 425hp NA engine and a 6 speed auto that the ecu in the monster will control, and I'll only need a trans controller for the other.
And it'll be just as quiet,...and just as reliable,...probably faster,......and........ it fits

Why is this almost like writing on a chalkboard?

• Happy
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users
67ss_2185_adaptorwithouthismrstoes_001.jpg

36766881lg.jpg

IMG_1026_zpsc6893bbb.jpg

Go ahead. Adaptors are easy. Any Ford trans with any Ford engine.

Reactions: 1 user
First condolences to you and your family about your MIL.

Second why not do a leak down and compression test to verify you have poor ring seal? There is a chance you could be chasing something else? Also did you not regrind the cam for a milder or maybe even a naturally aspirated grind the engine was down? Did that not quiet it down enough for you? If I remember correctly you mentioned how much quieter the engine was.

First condolences to you and your family about your MIL.

Second why not do a leak down and compression test to verify you have poor ring seal? There is a chance you could be chasing something else? Also did you not regrind the cam for a milder or maybe even a naturally aspirated grind the engine was down? Did that not quiet it down enough for you? If I remember correctly you mentioned how much quieter the engine was.
Thanks.
As to the cam, it's the same as it ever was. There was a time that I wanted to soften the ramps to allow a hydraulic roller to ride on them, but couldn't find a company that offered a link bar set that I could " unhook" like I can with these solid enduro lifters.
And unless I can get them apart,...I can't get them in the holes linked together.
I'd have to have some mfg make me a set without the link bars riveted on so I could use the link bars off of the current lifters, and even then, that requires that I drill out the remaining 11 lifters to remove the link bars, and then bolt everything back together like I had to do with the one set already.
I'm kinda gettin done with this level of craziness with this engine.
I'm gonna build the second version of my puke tank, and put the thing back together on Saturday, load Steves tune into it, and fire it up. I know a leak down tester will tell me how much cylinder pressure is getting past the rings, and one day I may run the damn engine till its hot, and attempt that process all over again. But for now, the lure of drop it in an go,...is talking to me...loudly .

Reactions: 3 users
Barra or else just put a Windsor in it. It's like LS swaps now with Coyote Swaps. Everybody got one. I did a double take at the little car show the other day. a 71 C10 with a BIG BLOCK in it. I was like whoa...at least it was cheap since everyone is giving their bbc away to do LS swaps.

But for now, the lure of drop it in an go,...is talking to me...loudly .
There has got to be something wrong with the pistons as a result of the initial first assembly. The machine shop improperly machined the cylinders initially, resulting in too much taper at the bottom, and left tool marks in a couple of cylinders that required that I tear it back apart, and had to force the machine shop to re-do the sleeves, and provide a new bore and finish hone.
Which they did.
Late reply again.
Sounds like they beat you. Fascinating creativity and workmanship like nothing in the world, down the drain. Pity if you do, even allowing for your frustration.
Without question, you can make it a success if you want, in whichever way you want, but nothing else is "your" engine (nor the Monster's, I'd guess).
Or you're just moping again.
Dan

Late reply again.
Sounds like they beat you. Fascinating creativity and workmanship like nothing in the world, down the drain. Pity if you do, even allowing for your frustration.
Without question, you can make it a success if you want, in whichever way you want, but nothing else is "your" engine (nor the Monster's, I'd guess).
Or you're just moping again.
Dan
Who's They?
I guess you'd have to be the one sitting in the drivers seat wondering of its " all gonna go down the drain" and come apart based on all of the noise, or if that's just how noisy the thing is in its natural state. It's been sitting in the basement for the entirety of the year mostly un driven due to one thing or another, all revolving around my "fascinating creativity and workmanship" not exactly being on point enough to deliver the expected results.

And yes...I do tend to mope. Most creative mindsets tend to have a mental tick here and there.
Vincent Van Gogh cut off his ear,....Picasso was a drunk...

I cut myself, and try and poke my eye out........and from time to time.......I mope.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Who's They?
I guess you'd have to be the one sitting in the drivers seat wondering of its " all gonna go down the drain" and come apart based on all of the noise, or if that's just how noisy the thing is in its natural state. It's been sitting in the basement for the entirety of the year mostly un driven due to one thing or another, all revolving around my "fascinating creativity and workmanship" not exactly being on point enough to deliver the expected results.

And yes...I do tend to mope. Most creative mindsets tend to have a mental tick here and there.
Vincent Van Gogh cut off his ear,....Picasso was a drunk...

I cut myself, and try and poke my eye out........and from time to time.......I mope.
They are the machine shop, and various other who have sold you the wrong part, or a broken part, or given you bad info, or not delivered what they promised, etc.
And yes, I get it. The Monster is intended to be driven, and it's not doing what you want.
Without question, you can make it a success if you want, in whichever way you want
Including whatever engine swap. Other than I hope you keep the six, I hope you plan and focus, and make something you find satisfying.

It's just a guess, but I figure everyone following your build believes you can accomplish about anything you care to with the car.

The Barra motor would be distinctive in itself. Higher cost notwithstanding, you could make it work as you have with the current motor.

With the Coyote, though they are more common (not nearly so as the LS), I think your take on a Coyote-powered fox would be distinctive enough to mitigate any "bellybutton" status that it may confer.

It'll be interesting to watch no matter which way you go.

Aren’t Barras big and heavy? Seems I remember a post about them being huge next to a Windsor. Had I not gone 347, I would go Termi engine. So much potential, and its signature whine. Always lusted for that. They also aren’t as common nowadays.

Terminator. Yes. I was thinking of suggesting that. How many Terminator-swaped Fairmonts can there be?

Plus even pulley, intake, exhaust and porting the stock blower will get you 500 reliable RWHP.

Too bad you no longer have the meth kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.