Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I proposed to my wife in the DR; almost everything that could go wrong, went wrong.

A romantic candle light dinner on the beach, thwarted by a monsoon.

She didn't even want to mess with dinner, but I said we have to, it's paid for. So, she begrudgingly agrees. We get down to the water just as the bottom drops out, so we are shoved under a pavilion at a table, and of course we are the only people crazy enough to be out. It starts raining harder and then sideways, so they move us to a table next to the bathrooms. She's drenched and really "unhappy" now.

They bring the food out, a thin, leathery steak and a lobster they cut in half long way, head to tail. She eats neither.

They bring out dessert. She eats neither and then proceeds to drink my glass of wine.

It gets awkwardly quiet because I'm ultra nervous and she's fuming because I drug her out. So she breaks the silence with, "well, I hope you weren't planning on proposing tonight."

heh. funny. *gulps alcohol*

By this point, the rain had let up and we are preparing to leave. No sht, she goes in for the kill, "Last chance at your romantic proposal"

So I shrug, get on a knee, and pull the ring out.

She goes pale as if she's seen a ghost. "are you serious right now?" and then lost it.

Yes. She said yes in between sobs.

The waiter panics and grabs my gopro and begins snapping pics, except its in video mode. So, we have these short 1 second videos of the aftermath.

That's my DR story. It was ok otherwise, just like any other carribean destination and I concur with your assessment Mike.

• Informative
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Well hell....

I'm going to hell in a hand basket.

Saturday starts yet another evolution for me at work. Most favorably, I'll be off on that day from now on. So,...for the first time in over 3 years, I'll return back to a 5 day work week where Monday starts it, and Friday ends it.

The downside is the length of the day...( 7-6). I gotta tell ya, 11 hour days that typically will start with a wake up at 5:30 will kick my ass. That's where I am right now....today was a trial...in at 730, off at 5:30.

I got a hood and trunk that needs to be done, and have a couple of hours of daylight left,...but as far as I'm concerned,..that sun can kiss my ass. I'm sitting right here.

In the end, I'll go back to my old weekend standard...one day for us, one day for me. Sometimes I'll get more, rarely will I get less.
But,...............Not today...

Reactions: 1 users
Oh look! Yet another edition of the Saturday Evening who gives a sht chronicle, released on friday night instead.:taco:

Tomorrow officially starts the new job. With the day off as a start date. I feel weird about it.

If,...I manage to be able to stay away from the dealership, the objective will be to paint the undersides of both deck surfaces.
If...I manage to be able to stay away from the dealership,...and I get both deck surfaces painted underneath,...maybe I'll be able to flip the trunk on Sunday, and paint the top of it..If I don't fck it up, it'll be done.
If I get it done, I can put it back on...wouldn't that be the sht?

The hood is covered in the same orange peel that the trunk deck had originally, and that'll mean hours of sanding to get it smooth ,....and probably several additional coats of freakin primer,..so maybe I'll just focus on getting the trunk deck completely done, and save that hood for another day...( before I get this btch done, Summer will be over.)

Tonight, on the other hand is Taco Bell night for me and #1. Well,....Taco Bell, and whiskey night if we're counting..Kate is on the road, I'm left with no desire to get covered in grey dust,...and I need the sunlight to make sure I evenly coat the freakin trunk.

Painters,....How long will it take for the bottom of the trunk to be dry enough for me to be able to flip that bitch over and paint the top ya spose? Using a catalyzed hotrod black urethane.

Reactions: 1 user
No pictures.

I never post fail pictures.

The level of failure today could only be described as epic,...it's a wonder that I didn't take a rusty box cutter and just slit my wrists....the long way.

I start out...though, all positive that I'm gonna make big progress..I get the trunk flipped on its back, and start trying to paint the underside..but I cannot get a spray pattern much bigger than a few inches. I have to overlap 2/3rds of each pass, and it's just dry spraying the hell out of the metal in front of the path.

I relegate myself to finishing it, while at the same time completely fcking it up. I'm gonna have to mark that as a do over.

I give it a couple of hours to dry, and flip it. Except I'm not gonna try that again,..something is clearly wrong with the gun. So I take it all apart,...it's filthy as all three pigs.

I spend an hour cleaning it, put it back together, put some thinner in it and check to see if I can make the fan pattern bigger...I can.
Great........... now let's try it with some paint.

It's working. I now have about a 5" pattern,...I manage to spray the trunk fairly consistently, but still put it on way too thick, and now it's orange peel city. I decide to wait and see how it will flatten. As its drying it's shrinking up pretty nicely...I'm thinking I can almost live with the texture,...kinda an eggshell finish..but, as luck would have it, a breeze blows a piece of MDF I was using to check the spray pattern over, and it blows all kinds of dirt onto the not quite dry eggshell finish.

It's fcked.

I push the thing out into the sun so it'll bake and dry faster, and go out and buy me some more thinner, and some 800 grit paper..

Cause I intend to wet sand that texture and dirt off of that trunk deck when it's dry enough.

When I get back, I get to it..the trunk is dry, I get it out of the sun, cool it off, and start wet sanding.

A half hour later I'm ready...I get the gun loaded, and back off the fluid flow knob a little bit. I test the pattern..it's spitting now,...and it's back to spraying a too small ellipse pattern.

What would you do now? You've got a whole gun of catalyzed paint. Another cup full of sht that has gotten too close to its pot life that I had mixed before I had to go get the sand paper when the first attempt failed...and now here it is again...acting up.

I spray it on anyway.. And the fail is glorious...orange peel, + dry spray, ....and.......wait for it.....solvent pop.

The trunk deck is a total wreck.
I'm gonna have to sand it down.......again.
I take the gun apart again,..this time it looks normal. I spray brake clean through the air passages..everything shoots out where brake clean is supposed to shoot out of....the only thing different was the fluid control knob was turned in one turn.

I turn it back out to full flow,..put thinner in it, and again, I have a full pattern.

I move on to the hood...it has alligator skin 2k primer that is so freakin hard to sand, I have to use 220 to take it off. ( this was where the contamination came from that fouled the gun,..there was dried up 2k primer innit when I took it apart the first time) I sand for hours..then I switch to 320 and sand some more..

Kate gets home..it's 6:30. I've been standing and sanding for 8 hours, not including the dash to go get the 800 grit.

I have to deal with the trunk still. All I can hope for is to get it flat..so,..out comes the 320. And I sand.......and sand,...and sand...
It's still not close..and you can still see the pinholes from the solvent pop..so,...more sanding still left to do.

I'm wiped,....too bad last night was whiskey night...I try not to have them back to back.

I don't know what to do now...the gun has no visible obstructions, and this damn gun has worked for me before, with really good results. The bottom of the old hood, and the bottom of the old trunk, the dash bars, the green wheels, all turned out perfect. I'm so freakin pissed now, I'm a real pleasure to be around..
I shoulda just cut my wrists.

Last edited:
  • Wow
No pictures.

I never post fail pictures.

The level of failure today could only be described as epic,...it's a wonder that I didn't take a rusty box cutter and just slit my wrists....the long way.

I start out...though, all positive that I'm gonna make big progress..I get the trunk flipped on its back, and start trying to paint the underside..but I cannot get a spray pattern much bigger than a few inches. I have to overlap 2/3rds of each pass, and it's just dry spraying the hell out of the metal in front of the path.

I relegate myself to finishing it, while at the same time completely fcking it up. I'm gonna have to mark that as a do over.

I give it a couple of hours to dry, and flip it. Except I'm not gonna try that again,..something is clearly wrong with the gun. So I take it all apart,...it's filthy as all three pigs.

I spend an hour cleaning it, put it back together, put some thinner in it and check to see if I can make the fan pattern bigger...I can.
Great........... now let's try it with some paint.

It's working. I now have about a 5" pattern,...I manage to spray the trunk fairly consistently, but still put it on way too thick, and now it's orange peel city. I decide to wait and see how it will flatten. As its drying it's shrinking up pretty nicely...I'm thinking I can almost live with the texture,...kinda an eggshell finish..but, as luck would have it, a breeze blows a piece of MDF I was using to check the spray pattern over, and it blows all kinds of dirt onto the not quite dry eggshell finish.

It's fcked.

I push the thing out into the sun so it'll bake and dry faster, and go out and buy me some more thinner, and some 800 grit paper..

Cause I intend to wet sand that texture and dirt off of that trunk deck when it's dry enough.

When I get back, I get to it..the trunk is dry, I get it out of the sun, cool it off, and start wet sanding.

A half hour later I'm ready...I get the gun loaded, and back off the fluid flow knob a little bit. I test the pattern..it's spitting now,...and it's back to spraying a too small ellipse pattern.

What would you do now? You've got a whole gun of catalyzed paint. Another cup full of sht that has gotten too close to its pot life that I had mixed before I had to go get the sand paper when the first attempt failed...and now here it is again...acting up.

I spray it on anyway.. And the fail is glorious...orange peel, + dry spray, ....and.......wait for it.....solvent pop.

The trunk deck is a total wreck.
I'm gonna have to sand it down.......again.
I take the gun apart again,..this time it looks normal. I spray brake clean through the air passages..everything shoots out where brake clean is supposed to shoot out of....the only thing different was the fluid control knob was turned in one turn.

I turn it back out to full flow,..put thinner in it, and again, I have a full pattern.

I move on to the hood...it has alligator skin 2k primer that is so freakin hard to sand, I have to use 220 to take it off. ( this was where the contamination came from that fouled the gun,..there was dried up 2k primer innit when I took it apart the first time) I sand for hours..then I switch to 320 and sand some more..

Kate gets home..it's 6:30. I've been standing and sanding for 8 hours, not including the dash to go get the 800 grit.

I have to deal with the trunk still. All I can hope for is to get it flat..so,..out comes the 320. And I sand.......and sand,...and sand...
It's still not close..and you can still see the pinholes from the solvent pop..so,...more sanding still left to do.

I'm wiped,....too bad last night was whiskey night...I try not to have them back to back.

I don't know what to do now...the gun has no visible obstructions, and this damn gun has worked for me before, with really good results. The bottom of the old hood, and the bottom of the old trunk, the dash bars, the green wheels, all turned out perfect. I'm so freakin pissed now, I'm a real pleasure to be around..
I shoulda just cut my wrists.

I’m gonna put you’re frustration right up there with mine right now. We’ve decided to tile our kitchen floor. No biggie.... I’ve done plenty of tile work with much success. Actually enjoy it. We pick out a tile and all is good...... until i start to remove not one, but two layers of Armstrong vinyl tile that is already in the kitchen. I’ve had my wife operating the heat gun, while I do the scraping of the tile. Three nights of this, and I’m 2/3 done. I have 3 days off between now and Father’s Day, and thats the deadline to get the kitchen back in order (company has already been invited). Removing this tile has been by far the most frustrating, slow, tedious job I have ever done! The phrase “getting nowhere fast” is me for the last three days!!
So while not at all related..... I’ll gladly join you in a whiskey night to make it all go away, if only for a while! Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user
Well it appears that the difference between crap results and not, is about 30 minutes on YouTube, and 50 bucks with a coupon.

The Home Depot gun I have is the same as the purple HF gun you can buy for 15 bucks any day of the week. Their "pro"version of that gun has a better nozzle with more atomization holes and overall better machining. I guess you can buy it for around 50 bucks with their coupon. ( If they can sell the cheap gun for 10 bucks on sale,..how much more do ya spose it actually costs to make the pro gun?):O_o:

I now know that I wasn't using enough triggered air pressure. The pattern was a small elliptical, but wet and heavy in the middle.
All of the YouTube videos suggest 30-35 psi flowing, and adjusting the fan pattern from wide open down just to the point of seeing a reduction in fan width. I was probably about 20-25 flowing and wide open on the fan pattern.. Hence the spitting, inconsistent spray pattern.
I was all over the place yesterday.
Knowing all of this, I could probably get that cheap assed gun to work, but I'm gonna buy that better gun ( it really woulda made sense if I knew this sht first though) ..I'm gonna take it apart and clean the silicone that the Chinese use to lubricate it, like it says in the videos, and I'm gonna spray this stuff again.

Last edited:
Ah, that’s right I forgot.
Meh,..I went down there at the end of the day and sanded it for about a half hour. I'm just about done getting it to where the solvent pop pinholes are gone...but she caught me.
" I don't freakin believe you...you spend all day on this thing yesterday, and that wasn't enough?"
" Evidently not,...I'm still fckin sanding on it" I reply.

She says " I'm gonna go watch Private Ryan", and walked away.

What else could I do?

I'm sitting here watching Saving Private Ryan, on the 75th anniversary of D day. ( almost)

Meh,..I went down there at the end of the day and sanded it for about a half hour. I'm just about done getting it to where the solvent pop pinholes are gone...but she caught me.
" I don't freakin believe you...you spend all day on this thing yesterday, and that wasn't enough?"
" Evidently not,...I'm still fckin sanding on it" I reply.

She says " I'm gonna go watch Private Ryan", and walked away.

What else could I do?

I'm sitting here watching Saving Private Ryan, on the 75th anniversary of D day. ( almost)
With a strong pour of Bourbon?
At least it’s a good movie :shrug:

• Agree
who knows what an ephaniny is?

* don't cheat.

Websters says the word Epiphany is defined as a sudden and profound understanding of something.

Today,......I had an ephaniny.

I flipped the trunk over this afternoon and started working on it on the underside. The dry spray, orange peel, and solvent pop was so overwhelming, all I could do was sand at it with 220. If it was my intention to get the underside as smooth as the top now was, it would take hours of painstaking hand sanding in the little nooks and crannies that were everywhere on the damn thing. Even after an hour with 220 ( which I knew was never gonna do once I blew it all off) there would be countless hours trying to get rid of the 220 scratches so the paint wouldn't sand scratch swell.

I was just gonna have to find another solution................. :thinking:

blink!

If the bottom of the trunk has all of this disasterous texture to try and remove,..why not embrace the texture? Like.....
What if I intended it to look that way? ( remember, this is the underside of the trunk were talking about here)

What if, I.................................................................Spray the damn thing with Bedliner?

like I planned it all along.

For the trunk, this is gonna work. Fortunately, I haven't started work on the hood, so I haven't had a chance to fck that up yet...but the bottom side of my trunk?....
20190603_180300.jpg

It's a win.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.