Status
Not open for further replies.
Along the epiphany line and 98% of all joking aside:

Whatever powerplant (yes, powerplant, reaching back in the thread a bit) ended up inside of this Orange Beast is largely irrelevant but...

I think I had still always imagined it sounding something like

View: https://youtu.be/m3VsT6nQgx4

You have to admit that this sound goes very well with: *Insert you favorite image of the Monster here cuz it's a pain to find in this thread*

Back to the 98%:

I found this whilst trying to find a single decent image of the Monster before giving up:

I like turtles.

your car is a turtle.

Shot Fired! :mg:

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah,..that Charger does sound good.

My car has a terrible sounding rolling idle...I mean, unless you like tractors. When it comes to finding complete pics and clips of the monster, I'll admit it is difficult..

I prefer this sound byte for now... The 2 second lapse of reason when I was running the monster n/a.

The next one I'll make will be decidedly more faster. Cause this looks to be about a 15 second quarter mile.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ok,...no more slow assed monster vids from now on...just monster stuff.

I get home this evening determined to finish wet sanding the trunk deck, now that the underside is done.

I think it's ready for paint.
20190604_181251.jpg

What looks like paint is the water standing on the trunk immediately after rinsing it. The thing is about as perfectly flat and smooth as I can get it.
Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to paint it.

And I think I figured that out too.

The orange paint that'll go across the front of the hood, and the ducktail spoiler is made by some no-name company. I bought that paint last month in anticipation of this upcoming day.. Today is one of those upcoming days.

I hung the ducktail after priming it and scuffing it. The paint called to be mixed at a 4/1/2 ratio...and it was already considerably thinner than the black stuff I've been having so much trouble with.

By the time it was mixed, it was only slightly thicker than water. Once in the gun,..I triggered the thing and set flowing pressure to 25 psi..The sht blew out of the gun like water. I fanned the spoiler with an attempt at a light coat...( now I have way too much fluid flowing) but I didn't run the paint. I let it tack up and fan a complete coat. I let that tack up, and fan another complete coat.

It's drying really slowly..
20190604_195718.jpg

This is after 30 minutes...
Terrible pic I know, but it's freakin dark.
The bugs flocked to it. Michael Phelps bug landed, and then back stroked his way through the bug 100 meters in the orange ocean. He literally made it about an inch before he ground to a halt,.......and died.

Now that the whole thing is semi-dry, the orange peel has appeared. Nothing like I've been dealing with up till now,..but it's there.

Too much paint....it's always too freakin much paint for me.

The good thing is I've figured out that I'm gonna have to thin the black paint thin enough for the cheap assed gun I have to be able to atomize the paint properly. I spoke to Dave on Sunday, and he recommended that I keep the cheap gun, and thin the paint. Now that I know that the gun will move the paint if it's thin enough, it's just a matter of how much thinner.

The hood is ready for the orange band...the underside is ready for the black paint, as is the top. If I can just pull this off....

I'm kind of curious as to why didn't ditch the HF gun ages ago. With this car essentially being your Magnum Opus along with your "Live life now" philosophy, I have a difficult time wrapping my head around your penchant for "Chinee" junk tools.

Then again, if Dave says to keep the gun, I would probably keep it, too.

I'm kind of curious as to why didn't ditch the HF gun ages ago. With this car essentially being your Magnum Opus along with your "Live life now" philosophy, I have a difficult time wrapping my head around your penchant for "Chinee" junk tools.

Then again, if Dave says to keep the gun, I would probably keep it, too.
I agree...I'd justify a better gun if it was the guns fault. I don't think it's entirely the gun though. I know its mostly me.
Just like a guy that goes out and buys better golf clubs thinking itll make him a better player, I'm the guy that gets a 200.00 set of dept store clubs just to prove the point. You don't need fancy sht to do a decent job.
Now,..........once you reach a master level, I'm sure good stuff is essential...but until I can definitively blame that gun for the sht results...I'm playing through,
And taking a double bogey.

Couldn't ask for any better weather tomorrow and Sunday to paint.....................rain.:nonono:

I'm doing this sht this weekend. This forces me into plan B mode...........

* Plan B = Move the monster out of the garage. Move Kate's Cadillac out of the upper garage and put the monster there. Paint the parts in the garage on Saturday, put the monster back , put Kate's car back,.......she'll never know what happened.

Of course it helps that she will be out of town at a trade show for the next several days...I could never do this if she was here....
I mean I could still move the monster an all..........I'd have to put the Jag out in the rain instead:rolleyes:.

It dawns on me that I don't know if I've ever even tried to get it to move under its own power since switching the ecu over to ms3x...I've started it....gotta think...:thinking:did I pull this thing back in under power when I backed it out to take those pics last time?
20190402_173029_zpsdshw6oyh.jpg

Certainly, I didn't attempt to push the thing inside..there'd be evidence of the massive ballsack explosion that would've happened had I tried...I guess I drove it.

Oh well,......I digress.

The challenge this time will be getting it into the upper garage in the rain, w/o a hood and trunk on it. Then getting it next to the jag with out whacking either car into each other. The monster has a turning radius of a Russian MIG 17..( read....not good)
The tires rub on a hard lock...ill have to practice my 3 point turns.

When I painted the duck tail earlier this week, it took too long for it to dry..Now I'm no expert, but it seems something ain't right in the mix. It took hours for the paint to be handle-able. The shop that mixed it labeled the paint with a "4/1/2" mix ratio with the letters p/a/r under the numbers respectively. I need that orange paint to be dry so that I can mask it for the black and get the hood done in the two days that are in front of me.

Are you reading this @Davedacarpainter ?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Well its sho-nuff raining.
Kayes dropped off at the airport, my eye exam is done, and new glasses are being made.
I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy that damn upgrade HF gun, or plod along head first using the one i got.

If i use what i got, and this fcks up again, I'll scream.
If I go out and buy the better gun and I fck it up just the same................how much louder can I possibly scream that'll make it any better?

On the other hand, if I buy the better gun, and it works.....itll be the best 50 bucks I ever spent.

Hmmm.

Guess I'm going to HF

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Add two additional attempts to the total. :nonono:

Bought the gun,...took it apart and cleaned it. Ran thinner through it. Wiped the trunk down with wax/grease remover..tacked it off.

And sprayed a coat of fish eyes all over the trunk.

Wiped that paint off with thinner...recleaned the gun...and resprayed the trunk again.

I don't know what is happening now,..I have walked into the living part of my garage to give the thing a few minutes to either flash,....or crash.

Trunks done...
Provided I didn't leave a thumb and palm print in the thing when I moved it.:eek:

When I took the new gun apart the first time and it sprayed fish eyes. I had left the threaded collar where the screw on nozzle threads onto on the gun. Now that it had sprayed fish eyes out of it, I assumed that there was still some contaminant inside the gun, so I decided to take that apart. I got the 9mm Allen wrench that fit inside the collar and tried to unscrew it off the gun.

Wouldn't budge.

I put an extension handle on the Allen wrench so I'd have more leverage....the Allen wrench started to try and spin insid the thing.

So.......I wrap the threads of the collar with tape in a vain attempt to protect them, and put a pipe wrench on the threads.....it moves, but only manages to squirt out the little plastic gasket that was probably there to help seal it. Now it's all mangled to hell...which at the same time is telling me that this freakin thing is a left hand thread collar.

I get the Allen wrench, put it back inside, and pull it the opposite way....it loosens. I take the thing the rest of the way apart.

UnFortunately,....the large plastic gasket that is between that gun and the collar is now spinning off with the collar..effectively shearing off the locating nub that fits in the gun to keep the gasket clocked properly.
( I do not know this at this time..I figured that the gasket was glued or something to the collar) when I put the gun back together, I pay no attention to that since I don't know that it's wrong. So I thread the thing back together, fill it with paint, and shoot.

I can't get the fan width to adjust anymore...at this time, it's full wide, so I go with it. The paint goes on weird, but it didn't fish eye. I'm sure it's gonna start orange peeling,..but this time it starts to flatten out. So I let the thing dry for about 30 minutes.

When I take the gun back apart to clean it ( again) it's at this time that I discover the plastic gasket that spins with the collar ain't sposed to spin. And now it's all screwed up. So I cobble a gasket from one of the other guns and use it. It's basically the same gun except for a left hand thread collar. I test the gun with some thinner...I have my fan adjustment back.

I put the trunk outside, I moved the hood onto the stand. I needed to paint the orange band so it will be dry enough to mask off sometime tomorrow. I wiped it down, tacked it off,...and sprayed.........fish eyes.

Fortunately for anybody within earshot I had the respirator on,..but that did stop me from yelling GOD DAMMITTT!!!! at the top of my lungs..
I'm out of paper towels,..all that's left are some dried out ones that I've used to dry off the trunk and hood after wiping it down with prepsol. I have to get the orange paint off before it dries, or I'll have to sand it off..I scrounge the few that aren't wet and start wiping the orange paint back off...

And wipe off the rattle can high build primer that I used as a finisher right along with it.

Effectively ruining the finish.
In hindsight, I think the wax and grease remover hadnt completely dried, and that has caused the fish eyes. ..it's humider than a mofo here today..even water won't evaporate.....it just sits there...you have to blow it dry.

Again......I'm wiped. Two weekends in a row trying to get this freakin thing painted. Only this time to add insult to injury to the whole thing, I've fcked up a 75.00 HF gun along with it.

Its sht like this that has been the death nail for many a car project....it's this way with me on everything I do...I can't believe that I still have the freakin thing.

Then all I have to do is give it some time...have a drink,...and I'll start this crap all over again the next day.
See,......The monsters like a big eyed dog to me...... All I have to do is look at him...
20190608_181205_zpss9pr0spk.jpg

And all is forgiven.

• Happy
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Fish eyes or solvent pop? Craters or raised bumps?

Fish eyes leave a void, a hollow crater and are an indication of contamination in the gun or paint.

Solvent pops look like raised bumps. It’s the reducer trying to evaporate after the top layer of paint has skinned over. Could be caused by the weather when you were spraying, putting paint on too thick in certain weather conditions. Or not allow enough flash time between coats.

Last edited:
Fish eyes or solvent pop? Craters or raised bumps?

Fish eyes leave a void, a hollow crater and are an indication of contamination in the gun or paint.

Solvent pops look like raised bumps. It’s the reducer trying to evaporate after the top layer of paint has skinned over. Could be caused by the weather when you were spraying, putting paint on too thick in certain weather conditions. Or not allow enough flash time between coats.
It's definitely fish eye. I've been " fortunate" on this project alone to know what both look like

You didn't happen to stay at the "Resort of Death" in the DR did you? I see people are dropping like flies there. Maybe you used up all your luck not dying of alcohol or food poisoning??? Maybe you should just invest in a plane ticket from Tulsa to Birmingham???

Hey Mike, I’m just getting caught up again. How’s it going?

I’m at work shooting that stupid corvette again, so I can give you a call if it’ll help.

How's that saying go?

"3rd times a charm"?

Or is it the 4th, or maybe the 5th? :thinking: I've lost count...

But whichever time this was,....magic happened.
20190609_114908_zps4r4ahgja.jpg

Single stage urethane, no clear. Flat as slate, and smooth as a babies bum. It went on so nice, I just had to sand down the ducktail and reshoot it too just to press my luck..
20190609_114853_zpsjcgahqmm.jpg

Turned out the same...

It's been a gun setting issue for me..that, and whatever caused the fish eyes. I suspect maybe the tack rag..( I've been using the same ol skanky ass one that I throw up in the cabinet when I'm done with it.) probably not the best practice.
I didn't use it this last time, and miraculously no fish eyes..whether or not it's to blame, I don't care. I'm done with orange.
And I'll buy a new tack rag before I move onto the black.

It's gonna be however long it'll be before I can hope to mask off that orange before I can do that though....this paint takes a long time to dry, and remains soft ( easy to wet sand) for days after. It's almost like there is no catylyst in it. But there is.

I'm gonna eat lunch, and attempt to put the trunk on afterwards..

Let's see if I can manage to do that w/o fcking it up.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.