Status
Not open for further replies.
If rattle can turns out smoother, why the F not? Yeah, you’ll have to do it again in a couple years. At that point you can rattle it again, or pay someone to spray it professionally. Or the flip side, suck it up and have someone paint it professionally right now and never look back. That’s what I would do. It’s only money. A completed Monster is worth it if all your bills are paid.

It doesn't matter what I use evidently.

As many times as I've used a rattle can before with good results, I can't even get that to work properly on this project.......
It's like I'm cursed.....like I've opened pharoahs tomb, and now nothing I do is gonna turn out right.
20190612_190241.jpg

The hood is definitely striped, the orange is darker and now...the freakin rattle can spray job on the scoop striped and wrinkled..
If it wouldn't be such a problem to put the aero catch fasteners on the old hood, I'd put it back on.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

It doesn't matter what I use evidently.

As many times as I've used a rattle can before with good results, I can't even get that to work properly on this project.......
It's like I'm cursed.....like I've opened pharoahs tomb, and now nothing I do is gonna turn out right.
20190612_190241.jpg

The hood is definitely striped, the orange is darker and now...the freakin rattle can spray job on the scoop striped and wrinkled..
If it wouldn't be such a problem to put the aero catch fasteners on the old hood, I'd put it back on.
:poo:
Mike, that sucks so much!

I put that striped assed hood on the car last night.........it's adjusted, forward and back, and up and down....Guess what?

It's crowned like crazy where the old prop rod used to locate to..let me see if I can dig up a "before".....*clank-clank..bang-bang..shuffle-shuffle...
Oh yeah! Here it is...
20190225_094013_zpskwr99sh5.jpg

As stupid as I can be,..I can always be stupider..
#1. .....Evidently, I didn't do a test fit to see how badly this thing had crowned because of this break...I didn't even consider it.
#2......I just went on ahead and plated and welded in a new patch piece.
# 3.....What happens to steel after it has been mega heated?....like the kind of heat that comes with welding?:chin
:flame:
Yeah,......it's never gonna come back into place there...:stupid:

I was able to sand the damage off of the hood scoop...laid several coats of primer on it so I can sand it smooth..and try to paint the damn thing again...
( I don't know why I'd bother...the whole freakin hood underneath it is a fckin disaster)

Each day brings me one more day closer to putting the old hood back on it..( I'm glad that didn't end up on the curb too)

The old hood got removed because the bondo is failing under Daves paint....( I'm saying it doesn't like the red hot turbo sht immediately beneath it)

I gotta work a half day today....gotta be there at 9:30...So,..I guess I'll go down stairs, and wate some more time on something that I probably won't use..
image.jpeg

Last edited:
The irony is almost too comical to even update the thread..How ever did I build this car 5 years ago?
As long as it has taken just to get the hood checked off as done is mind boggling.

I was wet sanding the newly applied primer on the hood scoop,....small piece of debris gets under the paper,...primer gets all scratched up.

Do I fix that?.......After this many fck ups?................Nope. I paint it.

I'm too Leary of using that paint that wrinkled, so I get a can of trim black out of the cabinet. It's the only other " satin" black paint I have. It doesn't have a nozzle. ( I've probably pirated it to use on another can). So I pirate it off of a different can. Check to make sure it sprays,....and start spraying.

I can see it striping...despite the fact that I've painted a bazillion different things with a bazillion different spray cans.
I let the first coat flash. There in plain sight is the circular scratch from the debris....

I decide to back the can away farther so the pattern will spread out....that creates a rough texture....And,..because this wasn't the right nozzle even though it worked,..unbeknownst to me it had been causing paint to build up on the rim right at the nozzle......and right in the middle of the scoop.........towards the front..........it drips off.

I let the scratched, textured mess of a hood scoop with a 1/4" diameter paint drip dry in the sun, and I bolt it on the striped, crowned hood. A perfect match if there ever was one,..Im letting it serve as a testimonial to how some people can't even use a rattle can.

That's why tv shows are bs. They show the tear down to rebuild in perfection. There is always some made up drama. Your drama is real. You should win a daytime Emmy for drama.

But I feel your pain. How many times have I said, oh I just need to tighten this bolt a smidge more and it strips? How many times, have I said, oh that spot on the wall is thin on paint, only to splatter or drop paint on the floor. It happens. At least you can laugh at yourself and document it.

That's why I've moved on...I know that the hood and scoop will get their due diligence...........One day.
Just not "Too day".
But It'll will eat at me....it won't be long.
As for today, I'm putting the rest of the car back together, fabbing up some rig job to hold the water meth system back in the trunk, and backing the thing out side and washing it.

Last edited:
Ummmm.....Happy Fathers Day Mike !!!

....sounds like you've already started celebrating.

My vote is to leave it alone, too. For some reason the car doesn't like what you're tryin' to do. Give him some time to think about it. Either you'll come up with a better way....or he'll get sick of the striped hood and scoop. Just hope he doesn't draw blood first....they can get nasty.

The car is 99% back together. I have only a few minor details to take care of and it'll be road worthy.

The water meth system is mounted, plumbed and wired. I filled the reservoir with blueness....
I cleaned it....it's gonna need a full detail..there is overspray all over it. It's not terrible, the show car glaze compound takes it off with just a simple hand rubbing. But I've got a few hours in front of me dealing with that.

It needed driving...so that's what it got. Everything works like it did before ( it should, I removed the engine, but I only opened the bottom, and added that vent to the pan. I got it into boost, but it takes nothing to do that. Fortunately for me, I think Steve created a condition that the water meth came on at 5 psi, and at a certain TPS percentage.....
Otherwise there'd be blue windshield washer fluid all over the engine..I haven't reinstalled the water meth injection nozzle.

When I get within a couple of blocks of the house, I start to hear the tell tale clunk that can only mean one thing...I've got a loose wheel. By the time I get within a block of the house,..it's clunking like mad...I'm gonna lose the wheel. I have to stop.

Again, fortunately it's Father's Day. #1 was at the house, and able to bring me a four way to get the lug nuts tightened. Several were completely backed off.....on all four wheels.

While I was waiting,..I took this:
20190616_164718_zpsivnaiqdf.jpg

I think it looks freakin amazing if I don't say so myself ;)

• Happy
Reactions: 11 users
Status
Not open for further replies.