Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,..nothing to show.

I did get the trans figured out. All good stuff.
For whatever reason I must've went brain dead thinking the converter was gonna be anywhere near the flex plate with a 3/4" spacer bolted onto the transmission side of the flex plate. Even if I bury the converter pilot all the way into that spacer, the feet are still an inch away. And I cannot bury the pilot all the way in. The reason it's called a flex plate instead of a flywheel, is that the converter moves in and out on the input shaft as it is accelerating, or decelerating. I need to allow for some movement, so I'm gonna back it out of the adapter 1/4" to keep it from bottoming out. That means these pedestals are 1.125" tall.
I do not have to cut off the converter feet, I do not have to weld on the converter...and...I'm able to tie each pedestal together so that they'll end up as one piece. How freakin perfect is that?

The garage was a disaster, I couldn't find nothing, so I spent the first few hours organizing stuff. Then, knowing I was gonna be messing around with the engine, I put the pan on for good. In order to do that, I had to finish the pickup screen, and bolt that stuff al back in. I put the pan on, and then decided to install the oil pump.

Wrong order. You cannot install the pump like a SBF timing cover it seems, there's a portion of the pump that hangs down, that will not allow that. So I had to drop the front half of the pan so I could install the pump.
Once that was done, everything got bolted tight.

Remember that I found alternative o rings to the Toyota ones?....they didn't fit. I ended up reusing the old ones, augmented by a judicious aplication of the right stuff. I hope to hell everything seals up.

So no pics...but I'm on the path forward.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

There will be exactly 7/16" between the back of the 2jz block, and the face of the 4r70w transmission. The pedestals stand 1.120" off the feet of the converter. Despite that, because a ford flex plate is actually recessed inside the bellhousing,almost an inch, that means the pedestals actually only stand proud of the bell housing 5/16". After double checking my measurements,
( check out my precision CAD file)
image.jpeg

All its gonna take is some 3/16" thick bar between the 1/8" plate that's on both the engine, and the trans, with a bunch of holes drilled welding and gussets.
I checked the fit of my spacer.....fits freakin perfecto.

20191020_103246_zpsfbjjnahl.jpg

You can buy this adapter as long as you have a 4l60/80 from a company called Brangers..it's all made out of aluminum. Costs 999.
Mines made of steel, fits every ford trans to include a 4r70, and cost 250.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
@RaggedGT is this some for real mice/rat repellent...because I have plenty of irish spring and seem to have plenty of :poo: trying to get inside my grill/fridge island on my patio.
It’s what I use in my garage, and in the crawl space under my house.. It’s honestly made a real difference in the number of field mice that where living in my car in the garage :cool:

Guys, you dont know how ( what's the word)... :thinking: oh yeah! You guys don't know how Stoked I am right now. This was the remaining hurdle to putting a 2jzgte in a fox body.
Now,...while this swap is not gonna get the "popular vote" by any stretch, I gotta thank "one lung in NJ" @TOOLOW91 for the recommendation..had it not been for him I'd still be paddling around in a circle, trying to avoid putting anything built in fords Windsor production facility at all costs.
All It takes is an oil pan, and this transmission "mikeguyver" to put one of these engines in a fox....Not exactly rocket science. To think that the freakin industry keeps building Chevy based bull:poo: to make something like this fit, tells me that there is still a bunch of brain dead people working in the aftermarket.

A 2jz is a 20 year old engine...A fox mustang has been a go to for Chevy boy for even longer...To make adapters to put a 2 jz in a car, and have to back it with a freakin t400, 4l60/80, or a power glide ignores how simple it was to make this happen had I had the benefit of a CNC, and a lathe..I could've whipped out a plate and crank hub inna day.
I'm gonna take a weekday off this week and work Saturday, cause I'm suckin' this month. I have to have a decent sales month this month considering I'll be in Italy in two weeks..that weekday will be the day the trans gets mated to the engine.
And then....

Theres nothing stopping me from putting this engine in the car.

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users
When I made the crazy suggestion I wasn’t sure what your thoughts on it would be . Seeing you take it on and go full steam ahead is awesome. I’m into anything fast and cool I don’t care what power plant is in the thing . I knew If anyone was up for the task it was you buddy . Can’t wait to see it run

So I'm laying in bed, trying to decide if I'm actually asleep, when I hear: Pssst! You awake? My eyes pop open, thinking I might have been dreamin' and I hear it again.."Hey! You awake?"

I am now.

I look at the clock, it's 3:14 AM. The Demon is sitting on the side of the bed with a pad and paper.

"Phckkk!!!..... What Now?" I ask. "I was thinkin as I always do" the 3AMD says...."Aren't you worried about imbalance on this thing we've made to mount the converter to the flexplate? I mean this thing will be spinning at 8,000 RPM and all,...think about that"

I found it ironic that, in reality....I was "thinkin" about it. ( I mean there really isn't a 3AM demon in case you're wondering)

"I've already though about that Deme,.....I'm gonna weight match each of the 4 legs using the lightest one as a reference on a postage scale....then I'm gonna reassemble the thing and weight match each of the 4 spars that I'll weld between each leg. The weld itself will be the only thing I cant weight match"

"Ohh" says the Demon,...."Spose that'll be OK?"

"It's Gonna have to do pig, it's all I got"...I said as I rolled on my side, "Now go the phck back to sleep!"

So,...here we are 12 hours later. It's a scary thought,... the fact that that stuff is gonna be spinning at that RPM, but if I can do what I'm talking about, and match each piece as closely as possible...short of having an enormous aluminum plate cut from a piece of 1' thick aluminum plate ( Think of how freaking heavy that would be) nothing I'm gonna be able to do will be perfect.

Reactions: 1 users
So I'm laying in bed, trying to decide if I'm actually asleep, when I hear: Pssst! You awake? My eyes pop open, thinking I might have been dreamin' and I hear it again.."Hey! You awake?"

I am now.

I look at the clock, it's 3:14 AM. The Demon is sitting on the side of the bed with a pad and paper.

"Phckkk!!!..... What Now?" I ask. "I was thinkin as I always do" the 3AMD says...."Aren't you worried about imbalance on this thing we've made to mount the converter to the flexplate? I mean this thing will be spinning at 8,000 RPM and all,...think about that"

I found it ironic that, in reality....I was "thinkin" about it. ( I mean there really isn't a 3AM demon in case you're wondering)

"I've already though about that Deme,.....I'm gonna weight match each of the 4 legs using the lightest one as a reference on a postage scale....then I'm gonna reassemble the thing and weight match each of the 4 spars that I'll weld between each leg. The weld itself will be the only thing I cant weight match"

"Ohh" says the Demon,...."Spose that'll be OK?"

"It's Gonna have to do pig, it's all I got"...I said as I rolled on my side, "Now go the phck back to sleep!"

So,...here we are 12 hours later. It's a scary thought,... the fact that that stuff is gonna be spinning at that RPM, but if I can do what I'm talking about, and match each piece as closely as possible...short of having an enormous aluminum plate cut from a piece of 1' thick aluminum plate ( Think of how freaking heavy that would be) nothing I'm gonna be able to do will be perfect.

It's not like it will blow up if you let off at the first sign of vibration. You'll just have to remove it and send it off to get balanced. You ARE Mikey2times, putting a 2JZ in right?

droopie85gt is right - just send the assembly off and have it balanced by a reputable shop. Then take comfort that you did the right thing the right way,,,

So I'm laying in bed, trying to decide if I'm actually asleep, when I hear: Pssst! You awake?
dave.png
My eyes pop open, thinking I might have been dreamin' and I hear it again.."Hey! You awake?" dave.png

I am now.

I look at the clock, it's 3:14 AM. The Demon is sitting on the side of the bed with a pad and paper. dave.png

"Phckkk!!!..... What Now?" I ask. "I was thinkin as I always do" the 3AMD says...."Aren't you worried about imbalance on this thing we've made to mount the converter to the flexplate? I mean this thing will be spinning at 8,000 RPM and all,...think about that" dave.png

I found it ironic that, in reality....I was "thinkin" about it. ( I mean there really isn't a 3AM demon in case you're wondering) nodave.png

"Ohh" says the Demon,...."Spose that'll be OK?" dave.png

fixt

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
There gets to be a time where I'll just hit a wall.

I'll try one way, and I'll do that over. I'll try another way, and I'll do that over too. Eventually, I'll get so freakin frustrated/burnt from all of the wasted work,...I'll post a pic of a guy throwing in the towel.

I'm there today.

The pics I posted of the converter bolted to the flex plate a few days ago is old news. I was bothered by the "L" bracket with a 1.125" long leg that was being held on with a 3/8" fine thread bolt that made up the mount tabs. The logic being that 500-600 ft lbs of torque would just have a freakin hay-day with those brackets. Especially considering that the mount point for the converter was that far away from the flex plate.

Figured it'd just twist those bitches right off.

So,...I reconfigured the mounts,..I moved them outward towards the starter drive ring...MOF, the bolt hole is actually drilled through the drive ring..
I shortened the legs, thinking that it would end up moving the transmission and engine closer together. I welded those legs to the converter pedestals. I have officially phcked up the converter to where it is now just like all things monster, and exclusive to this engine/trans. It fits nothing...including the current combo.

20191022_181811_zpsehvp9rb6.jpg

It's all bolted together. There is only 1/4" between the engine and the trans. When you look into the bellhousing,...there are the newly modified mount legs...fully 3/8" away from the starter ring gear..

3 freakin eights of an inch. To make these legs the right length they'll end up being an inch long again.
I ain't doin that.

The right thing to do is to split the difference...weld pads onto the flex plate to reinforce the mount point while at the same time, shortening the distance between them.

So,...looking like I'm adding an additional 1/4" pad to the flex plate..that'll leave 1/8" for the converter to move forward.

One of these days,..when I feel like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.