Progress Thread 1978 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler..Somebody point me to a wall......I need to bang my head against it.

CarMichael Angelo

I don't like your attitude, let me fix that.
SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Wisdom from the world of Mechanical Engineering:
1.) The more complex a design is, the more likely it is to have problems that are difficult to isolate and fix.
2.) If it moves, it will break at the most inconvenient time...

Your old turbo intake manifold goes a long way towards eliminating problems 1 & 2...
And on that note:....

• Sponsors (?)

CarMichael Angelo

SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
It says something when after going out for the evening, coming home after having a few drinks, and choosing to " piddle" in the garage for a couple of hours,...I solve the " how do I adapt the old design" to make it work in the current situation.
I guess I'm just a "simpleton" .

Reactions: a91what

CarMichael Angelo

SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Well,...what's left to do to make this work?
I have to weld the cut line in the charge tube..it required a slight angle to accommodate the uo-angle that the tub is now facing.
I have to cut the BOV flange off of the old charge tube, and weld it into the new one. I have to make a 1/8 npt fitting and weld it in for the water/meth nozzle.

I have to make a return spring attachment for the tb, and rig up an extension cable so that the now too short existing throttle cable will work.

I have to decide if having the IAT sensor immediately at the front of the intake manifold inlet is the best place for it, considering the amount of water it's gonna get blasted with...and move it or leave it.

I have to plug the six inlet holes that are going to the iron lung, and t into the 3/8 vacuum line that goes to the brake booster. One leg of that t will now go to the bottom of the old intake where the existing 1/4 npt fitting! And the other two will go to the booster, and the iron lung respectively. That will supply the IL with its vacuum/boost reference signal to the map/vacuum modulator/FPR/ and BOV that are still plumbed into it.

I have to weld a patch panel into the side of the intake manifold wher I had to cut out a chunk so that it'll get past the big assed Cobra brake booster.

Then I have to remove everything,....hook it all up to my pressure testing rig,..and test it to see if that thing leaks.

If it doesn't, it gets painted. Then gooped, allowed to dry for awhile, and installed.

I have a set of 60lb injectors that I originally started with when the monster was first started. The most recent DL's showed that I may be running out of injector,..so I think that this is what I'll put back in.
Since they were purchased as " reconditioned" I replaced them with new 46 pounders when trying to determine if I had one of the 60's not working...(it was fine, this was back in the copper head gasket days of monster history),....it wasn't a bad injector that was causing my problem back then,..it was water that was getting past that POS gasket.

Regardless as to my plans however,..it'll all be a matter of how much can I get done in as little time as possible. I have to take the hairy assed dog to the groomer to get shaved,..fling dog loads into the woods behind my house, go pick up the dog from the groomer, and then STOP...because my brother that I haven't spoken to in years is coming to visit me on his way back after picking up a car in fla.

So,........I have.....some things to do this weekend.

Reactions: RaggedGT