Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Trunks on.
image.jpeg

It fits....kinda. It's nowhere as perfect a fit as the old trunk, but if you'll remember...I slathered bondo across the tail with the trunk on, and sanded it down to fit, then cut it back off with a hacksaw blade.
This one didn't get that treatment. It's a little " sprung" in the middle, and has a slight twist to it..other than that..
It's on.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm gonna say that every freakin frustrating moment of this upgrade has taxed me to the limit. The wheels that were defective, and had to be shipped back and forth twice...the seat brackets that had to be completely reconfigured so that I wouldn't sit on the roof after buying Corbeau seats to replace the old procars that were there. Having to cut into my dash to make a touch screen head unit fit,.. The uncertainty that comes when you take a perfectly good working ecu ( that you built yourself) and upgrade it to the best available...for no apparent reason. Scrounging a different hood, and trunk so that I could carry out a theme..removing the perfectly good working Shelby tail lights, cutting them up, and adapting 1970 Mercury Comet tails in their place...removing the ratchet shifter, and replacing it with a gated replacement that forced me to adapt the console...Removing the engine in a vain attempt to try and stop the blow by, by building a pan-to- valvecover vent....converting the trans lines over to braided, adding cooling fans to the AC condenser.... The 200.00 stripe kit that doesn't really belong on this car,.....culminating in countless hours of body work,...and paint do overs to try and get the thing back on the road..

Just became worth it.....
20190609_175631_zpsgh7uctgl.jpg

20190609_175655_zpspcnazjxn.jpg

I was a little concerned after putting that "sea of black" trunk deck on there, but all of my concerns just disappeared as soon as I put Scrooge Mcduck tail back on. The orange band that goes across the rear will tie directly into the orange band that goes across the front. I freakin love it.

MOF, I love it so much it doesn't bother me that I have to take it back off and paint the underside...( it stuck to the poster board I laid it on to paint it, and ripped a big chunk of paint off when I pried it apart.)

I don't even care.....the monster is looking very fiendish.

• Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
I'm gonna say that every freakin frustrating moment of this upgrade has taxed me to the limit. The wheels that were defective, and had to be shipped back and forth twice...the seat brackets that had to be completely reconfigured so that I wouldn't sit on the roof after buying Corbeau seats to replace the old procars that were there. Having to cut into my dash to make a touch screen head unit fit,.. The uncertainty that comes when you take a perfectly good working ecu ( that you built yourself) and upgrade it to the best available...for no apparent reason. Scrounging a different hood, and trunk so that I could carry out a theme..removing the perfectly good working Shelby tail lights, cutting them up, and adapting 1970 Mercury Comet tails in their place...removing the ratchet shifter, and replacing it with a gated replacement that forced me to adapt the console...Removing the engine in a vain attempt to try and stop the blow by, by building a pan-to- valvecover vent....converting the trans lines over to braided, adding cooling fans to the AC condenser.... The 200.00 stripe kit that doesn't really belong on this car,.....culminating in countless hours of body work,...and paint do overs to try and get the thing back on the road..

Just became worth it.....
20190609_175631_zpsgh7uctgl.jpg

20190609_175655_zpspcnazjxn.jpg

I was a little concerned after putting that "sea of black" trunk deck on there, but all of my concerns just disappeared as soon as I put Scrooge Mcduck tail back on. The orange band that goes across the rear will tie directly into the orange band that goes across the front. I freakin love it.

MOF, I love it so much it doesn't bother me that I have to take it back off and paint the underside...( it stuck to the poster board I laid it on to paint it, and ripped a big chunk of paint off when I pried it apart.)

I don't even care.....the monster is looking very fiendish.
Damn man you got some nice toys

I thought tack rags were one time use
I'll use new ones at work for eight to twelve cars usually depending on the size of the jobs.

you should always open a new tack rag completely and then fold it, each use you use a new area.

Mike should've kept it in a zip lock baggy between paint jobs. I can see it getting contaminated pretty easily otherwise.

• Useful
Smh....that sucks Mike. I think you do this stuff on purpose. Why do you torture yourself....is it just for our satisfaction ? Is it like the reality shows that must keep some type of juicy content to keep the viewers viewing ?

We'd view anyways...ya don't have to kill yourself to keep us watchin'.

This version of the Monster is my favorite so far. Its amazing that you've successfully pulled off black and orange without the car looking like a Halloween decoration. That's not easy to do. Hats off to you my friend.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Ok......
I already know how this's gonna go.....

I'm down to the last chance here...I cannot afford to fail again. The orange band is forcing this. Since the black paint is layered on top of that orange band, it now becomes a matter of the parting line that will stand up above the orange layer...it's sanded down now but there's still already a thin film standing there already. Adding this last layer will be about all I can do without adding a freakin cliff of black paint along this parting line.

How I can hit and miss with this damn paint is beyond me..last night it was right back to a small 2-3" ellipse that I had to pass over by 2/3rds to keep it wet....( which when you think about it means that I was only painting about 1-1/5" of the hood per pass.)
#1 it took forever..
#2 you could see the dry spray build up as I moved forward ..it just seems like maybe the reducer is too fast for this sht.
Whatever I did to the trunk when it painted so quickly and had such a large swath...I need to find that again...but I'm completely right back on the bottom floor emotionally with the most important panel still looming in front of me.

I tried to get one of our painters to come by and do a quick shoot on the prepped hood,...but he decided that his labor was worth 400.00......to shoot a prepped hood.

Uhhh...... no thanks.

Here's the " Oh No" confession.....I'm seriously considering using the same rattle can sht that is currently gracing the tail light panel....on the whole hood.

I know it's wrong, and I've dogged other guys here for suggesting it,...but it's a hood for christs sake...I want this thing freakin done, and looking decent. I'm not confident that when I get home tonight and fill that damn paint cup that I won't just trash this thing again. Conversely, I know that rattle can will spray the same 2-3" wide pattern, and remain wet long enough to shoot some areas that didn't get covered properly...

There's a right way, and there's a wrong way to do everything..the problem is, the right way keeps turning out wrong.

Sigh.....
I've resigned myself to give this one last try. I've cleaned and tested both the new gun, and the old one that I've used so many times before..
Truth be told, I've damaged the new gun when I tried to take it apart and I messed up the rubber diffuser gasket. After examining the difference between the old style gasket that I was using in place of the damaged one, there is a difference in how it channels the air...in other words,..using the old gasket on the new gun hobbled it.
And...the damaged gasket on the new gun.......meh...I'm leaning towards using the old one.

I need to get the paint thinner..how much is too much is something that I don't want to experiment with..the simple fact that the instructions don't even call for reduction, and I've been doing that already means that I'm already at the line...I'm not too eager to step over it.

The orange stuff was water thin by the time it was reduced. It sprayed perfectly at low pressure. This black stuff is about the viscosity of........cream maybe:shrug:.

It's a perfect afternoon to do it that's for sure..the humidity is about as low as it ever gets here, and it's in the low 80's...
One things for sure, I can't blame the weather.
Maybe I should have a drink first?

Reactions: 1 user
This is the hood....

20190611_193709_zps0xozrpwf.jpg

it's not perfect,....MOF it's striped...and might need to be repainted...
This is a Phil Collins song that represents how I feel about it.
Click it...listen to the whole song..you'll feel better.

I'm done fckin with it. My sanity requires that I move on...if I deal with this hood one more minute I'll,..illl...:suicide:

Kate will be home in an hour. That looming inevitability required that I clean the disaster that used to be the monster liar, and put him back in his home, and return her car to its spot.

Of course this is a post scramble post...I've already done all of that...

As a testimonial............here's the monster rolling down to his newly cleaned up hang out.

20190611_194536_zpshwz80mlt.jpg

And that allows me to return Kate's junk back to her spot....
image.jpeg

Exactly where she left it Saturday morning....

And the Monster.....
image.jpeg

All snugly tucked in for the night....night-night monster..

You pain in my ass sonofabitch.

* edit...I'm just kidding....I love this car.

Last edited:
If rattle can turns out smoother, why the F not? Yeah, you’ll have to do it again in a couple years. At that point you can rattle it again, or pay someone to spray it professionally. Or the flip side, suck it up and have someone paint it professionally right now and never look back. That’s what I would do. It’s only money. A completed Monster is worth it if all your bills are paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.