Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

The " after " test revealed that there were numerous leaks coming off of the glass covered box. Leaks getting past the tb's; at the base, and at the top......leaks getting past the attached devices,....leaks all over the freakin place....

But...the regulator measured as much trapped Air pressure as I cared to add to the regulator...( I put 15 psi in, and it held...despite the air leaking all over the place)....... The box held 15 psi...
But it ain't right..... And that ain't me.
I removed the glass topped box...........again. And fully planned to fix it once and for all....
unfortunately.....
I'm too "involved" to do intricate stuff tonight. Went out with my two boys,..that involved too much many "personal observations"...and too many drinks to to allow me to make a make a measured bead on top of the mating surfaces to do this correctly...
And this time,...after cleaning, and resealing the glass lid,...I do not want to have to remove it because the blobbed sealant oozed all over the place, because I used too much of it.

Best to call it quits for the day...

• Clever
Reactions: 4 users
Sounds like you sealed the big leak that allowed you to find all the minor ones. Progress.
The box leaks air all over the place. When you're building it for a n/a motor...those minor leaks don't mean dick..( it's all air trying to suck into the engine).
But try to blow it all into the engine,.and it leaks out, instead of blowing in..and...then you got a problem.

I gotta problem exactly......one more time.....

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Ok,....now that my head is not full of clouds.....

The dilemma is sealing the box. On Wednesday, I used the right stuff to try and seal out irregularities between the throttle bodies, and the sleeves that slide down over them. The problem with doing that, is that once seated, the stuff just googes out into the throttle body openings, which forces me to remove the glass top so I can clean that stuff up after it starts to dry.

Getting the glass top off is an ordeal in of itself, as it is bedded in that 3m adhesive tape. And that stuff don't like to let go of what it has ahold of once it's stuck.

And.....if you've ever tried to remove two stuck together mating surfaces that you used " the right stuff" to stick them together with,........try removing that glass top box once all six sleeves have set up and dried............you literally have to pry it apart.

The ITB horn has a relief for an o-ring..I originally thought that was how I was gonna seal the thing...Once the o-rings were on however, you couldn't get the stupid box to slide over them. So that puts me back to "almost" permanently glueing the damn box on top with sealant.

The best hope is to make a uniform bead inside the very top of the sleeve where the air horn meets the top of the throttle body. Have the glass top removed, and then clean up the residue once it's dry.

It's my best hope to make this work.

I mean now that I think the problem with me not making any boost was that it was all getting past the tb's either through the two leaks in the iron lung, or the numerous ones in the damn glass top box...who else here can say that for a mere 10 bucks, ( the price of a tube of black goop) they made 125 extra horsepower?

Reactions: 1 user
You tell me....
20190712_162806.jpg

Under what circumstance could air possibly escape past these throttle bodies?

I made sure that there was enough goop around the inside perimeter of each air horn that there'd be no concern as to whether or not the box is sealed to the throttle bodies...
( itll be sealed alright....till like 2119)
I'll probably never be able to get the thing separated, but the good thing is, I wont have to worry about it lifting off from boost.
( just to be safe though, ...I'm still using the straps that I built for that purpose)
When its dry, I'll trim off the excess spooge, and start working on a replacement top. The new top will obviously still be removable, I'll always have to go through this ritual when ever the box has to come off, so I'll always need access inside..
What to do to replace the glass with is the project for tomorrow.

As a footnote, I talked to our resident Kiwi a little while ago....he sounds just like the guy from the outback commercial.
( only...from way farther south)

See, i had a wild hair to buy a Barra, and had asked if he could point me in the right direction. After following that path however, it became apparent that i was gonna have a minimum $2000 investment in an engine that would need to be completely rebuilt.

That wouldn't fit,...that wouldn't bolt up to my transmission...

What does the finger say?

Anyway, I'm gonna have to wait however long itll be dry enough to mess with..sometime tommorrow I'd imagine.
Which will probably he after I fix the leaky shower heads in two bathrooms, after I take the mega hairy assed dog to get his hair cut off.

Then I'll be able to work on building a new top

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.