Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoke to Steve, and Ken today....
Did very little else. I think I got the crank adapter thing figured out. I'll send out the drawing, and the template for the holes that'll need drilling to make it tomorrow.
The rest of the time ( what little I had today) was spent making the 3 am demon happy..
I have a 3am demon. If by some chance I wake up at that time ( usually just to pee), the 3am demon pays a visit.
The 3am-d gets in my head, and decides to hash out potential WTF's that may, or may not be worth worrying about. The last time he visited me was based on the oil pump pickup tube spacing off of the floor of the pan,..my design pro's/cons, and whether or not I should have followed the same practice(s) the factory did.

In a previous build,..I had to remove the engine after a start up attempt, because I had the pickup,tube too close to the floor of the pan..despite the fact that I have already had a previous version of this homemade system working in the monster, I have obsessed over where I've placed the pickup tube in the tooge. The factory decided to add a secondary support to keep the pickup tube exactly where it was placed, but I did not.

Today, I changed that though. Now I've got more spacing between the pan floor, and the pickup. And I've got a secondary mount point to keep it there.

• Sponsors (?)

On a different note...I'm waiting on a reply from one of the eBay resellers that I have decided to do business with.
I ordered this on the 2nd of the month.
image.jpeg

It looks legit. The other pics provided show a TurboSmart box that this thing in the pictures is supposed to come in. At the price it was listed at, it was fully half of what this gate is advertised everywhere else.
After a week of no shipping status update, I contact the seller, and in broken engrish, he replies that he's using a different shipper than normal to "save me from having to pay as much tax". I'm supposed to go to www.Jcex.com/EN to get my shipping status updates..
This is what it says:
2019-10-13 05:49 Sunday【上海市】 Shipment onforwarded by delivery facility
2019-10-11 20:53 Friday【上海市】 Shipment onforwarded by delivery facility
2019-10-11 11:00 Friday【HZ】 START SITE TRANSPORT SHIPMENT
2019-10-10 16:28 Thursday【HANGZHOU】 CONSIGNMENT RECEIVED AT TRANSIT POINT
The freakin thing is coming from China, and from the looks of it,..it's still there.

Now my red flag goes up, because im wondering why a TurboSmart piece would be coming from China, because our friends from the land of crouching tigers are known for blatant plagerism when it comes to stealing designs from other countries. And when you look at the other versions of this thing that ARE made in China, they ARE selling for exactly what I paid for the piece I'm expecting.
image.jpeg

Looks a little familiar?

Then,...you look at the listing from the piece that you bought even closer, and this is what's in the item description:
Item specifics
Condition:NewManufacturer Part Number:1040
Type:External WastegateBrand:SherryBerg
Warranty:1 YearFitment Type:Direct Replacement
Placement on Vehicle:Front
So,.I fire off another note to dude, telling him that the part I receive better be an actual TurboSmart piece or he'll get a claim filed against him with ebays' return policy that guarantees the part in the picture to be the part I receive ( if I ever get it)

It looks like the Chinese are using a "@" symbol in the " Turbosm@rt logo instead of the actual "a" to get past copyright infringement.
And when you google "Sherryberg 1040":.............

You get the king of rip offs... conveniently obscuring the turbosmart logo to avoid getting sued maybe?

I'm thinking ol dude has got an actual TurboSmart piece for the pics, and one of these clones is gonna arrive in the box...we'll see one day....if it ever gets here.

Last edited:
  • Surprised
Reactions: 2 users
I know Mike's views on my previous post so I will not challenge the rules. The political jargon has been edited out.

It sucks that china exploits good companies intellectual property

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I bet they lifted the image from TurboSmart or an actual TurboSmart product listing somewhere. I do agree with the troll that we (our country) has let China rip us off for far too long....so long that it's near to impossible to ever undo. You can go on Ebay or Alliexpress and see plan up straight ass ripoffs of real products.

Well, let's put it this way,
After my last inquiry trying to confirm that this isnt a chinee copy....I get nothing back from dude.

I have accidentally purchased a chinee clone of an australian product....

The irony is....compared to having to spend 450.00 for the actual "real" turbosmart wastegate...I probably would've risked it, and bought this, knowing full well I was buying a copy.

After all......

I have a Chinee exhaust manifold.
( LOOKS KILLER)
I have a Chinee intake manifold.
( LOOKS KILLER)
I've HAD a Chinee turbo for a year now.
( WORKS KILLER)
What's one more Chinee part now more or less.

And...Trump can still go fck himself.

Reactions: 1 user
Man....what a freakin day..
I started off not feeling well, so staying home was " considered".
" At least till Noon" I told myself.
I figured that I'd do some light duty errand stuff so I could tie up the loose ends for the weekend so i could be as productive as possible.
That started off with me finding the 4 different sized O- rings that seal the oil pump, pick-up tube, and water pump in this engine.

Nobody actually stocks the correct application for those Orings,....so I call the dealer...Toyota doesnt stock them either....

Naturally.

Dude says he can get them though, they're about 4 bucks each. And he can have them by tomorrow.

I have a problem paying 4 dollars for a single o ring...

So, WTF? They're just o rings, right? I go to a company here called Motion Industries..they have an o ring size chart right on their desktop..they have them...problem is that each o ring size comes in bags of 5-10.
"How much is a bag of 10 gonna cost?" I ask dude.....he says " 1.62"

Well,...hell...I may as well buy them,...I get all three bags ( two of the four o rings were the same size ) for under 6 bucks...and now I've got 30 of the damn things.

I get a text that they have the .75" thick steel disc cut off the piece of 4"solid bar stock that I gonna use as a hub for the trans adapter. It costs 46 bucks.

Next, I call around for a small job machine shop that wont kill me to do the necessary work to make the disc into a usable hub that'll bolt to the tail of the 2j crank.
I find one...this guy will drill and machine the 8 bolt holes to accommodate a 10mm 1.25 thread pitch Allen head cap screw with a recessed shoulder so the bolthead will be below the surface, and drill the center out to become the pilot hole for the converter on one side, and create a ledge that rides on the crank so itll center itself for 130 bucks...

So,...for 175.00......I have the means to adapt a jap engine to an american transmission. That piece will be done tomorrow.
The point of frustration comes from trying to find the bolts locally....try as I may,...nobody in this freakin city has a fine thread cap screw 10mm metric bolt.
I literally drove between 5 stores trying to find it before I gave up and ordered them.

And paid 2 day expedited shipping to get 16 bolts to me...that will be here on thursday...another 40 bucks total.

Now were at 215..still dirt cheap if I can actually get away with putting my 4r70 behind this engine.

By the time all of this running around was done, it was 2 however...I toyed with the idea of just staying home,...but there was still the nagging problem remaining that if i took this day as a day off,...I'm trading my Saturday off instead...

I'm not liking that plan....
So I go in...on a notoriously slow day...and its raining....with about 10 other guys here already...NOTHING will happen in the next 3 hours.

But stuffs gonna happen on Saturday, I guarantee it.

The oil pumps here, the water pumps here, the timing belt and new tensioner is here, the head gasket, and studs are here. The pan is modified to allow a second mount point for the pickup tube...the new cam seals, and new front main seal is here...
And now I have new o rings to make sure it's all sealed up, and a bonafide "MLM industries" 2jz-4r70 trans adapter to allow me to put the tooge into the monster...

And besides...its cold an rainy today...not a good day to change that boring assed grey color the engines painted back over to the copper color I like much better..
Which is also gonna happen.

Reactions: 1 user
At noon I get the call, head dude is done with the 2 Jz head...when I go to pick it up, I discover that he has " surfaced " the head with a belt sander...

Why are there still yea-hoos in business?

The problem is, any machinist worth a :poo: in most towns died in the last decade, and any worth half a :poo: were run out of business by all the cheap remanufactured parts available now that makes it faster for both professionals and DIY-ers to just replace the bad part and send in the old one as a core.

In a larger city, you can still find good machinists, but even in a town of 60,000 people, there's not any left. My machinist died in 2012, that old man taught me all sorts of stuff, including how to use a grease gun to get a stuck valve lash adjuster out of a Ford 2.3 head.

At this point in life, I'm regretting not going into that instead of being a technician, I'd probably have more work than I'd know what to do with.

If having to make multiple attempts at getting things right is getting you down, take a look at this:

That guy's a professional, and he says in the interview that everything in the development of his one-off engine took more than one try too.

Last edited:
Good morning Gentlemen.

Now that I'm just waiting on stuff, I start thinking about what has to be done to the converter to allow me to bolt it up to the flex plate. That thought process focuses me on the fact that the transmission of a potential 600-700 ft-lbs of torque is all coupled to the rear wheels by (4) 7/16"fine thread bolts.

That's all that any ford automatic transmission is using to bolt the torque converter to the flex plate.

Now I understand that it's more about " bolt shear" strength, and 4 grade 8 7/16" bolts will withstand a massive amount of force (. 17,800 lbs to be exact) But that's at the base of the bolt head. In other words, if you were to thread that bolt into an immovable piece of steel, you could place 17,800 lbs on the head before it would just shear off from that weight.

And when you're talking about making spacers, and relocating bolt holes to allow the possibility of bolting together two mismatched components with regard to a Ford converter, and the Toyota flex plate....bolt shear, twisting, and the bad things that can come with all of that, rear their heads......at 3am.

The ford converters' mount pads extend past the starter ring on the 2j flex plate. I have to make legs to relocate the mount points inboard. That thickness is YTD, but I'm thinking it's gonna be something like 1/2". And.......I gotta weld those legs onto the converter's existing mount pads.

Probably pretty much dooming the converter to be another obscure " fits only one engine on the planet" never be able to resell, Mike modified chunk of steel.

Welding on the converter opens a whole can of worms....Firstly, there's fluid inside. ( that's why I don't want to weld on the damn thing). It'd be so easy if I could just use the existing bolt holes in the converter to bolt this leg onto, but I can't.

The Toyota starter drive would crash into the bolt that hangs out past the starter gear ring.

Fortunately for me, my converter is drilled with a second set of holes more inboard for both a 157, and a 164 tooth flywheel.
If I use the inboard bolt hole, I could potentially bolt that leg to the converter. But guess what?...id also have to find four grade 8 fine thread Allen head cap screw bolts, and drill and tap one end, and then drill, and re-drill for the larger head of the cap screw bolt, then try and figure out how to create a perfectly flat fastening surface for that bolt down in the hole w/o and end mill bit to do that with.

I wonder if I could grind off the end of a drill bit?

Even if I could do all of that...I still have to wonder/worry about the " lever" that I just bolted onto my torque converter. Because the new flex plate bolt hole is now one inch inboard...with all of that engine torque twisting at the lever.........held on with a 7/16" grade 8 cap screw bolt.

The 3am demon solves that issue by welding legs between each of the 4 mount points...now they are tied together..they cannot twist..I'm back to shear strength.

At least that's the way I see it.

Some of you may remember that when someone is relating a story I see it as a cartoon in my mind.
here is how I picture Mike's 3am demon:
Mike is laying in bed face up, hands neatly folded on his chest, his glasses are on, a picture cloud is above him with the 3am demon sitting at a desk, protractor in one hand, pencil in the other (the 3am demon is left handed) scribbling feverishly, little waded up balls of paper scattered about the thought cloud.
kinda scary ain't it?

• Surprised
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.