Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

So this was all day. Relocating the battery was actually the lion share of the day, and cutting the hold down bracket to make it work properly is what cost me the huge gash in the top of my left index finger. It actually needed at least one stich, but that would've killed the day, so....paper towels, and masking tape had to make due. It did slow things down quite a bit after the " incident" though.
Now that all of that is behind me, I'm sitting here with some butterfly closures holding it closed, and it's wrapped in an aluminum splint to keep me from bending it tonight and bleeding all over the bed. I'll tell you this, there was blood all over the place.
The throttle shaft was adjusted first. As many times as I've attempted this, I think I've finally figured it out. Each throttle blade is within .010 of each other now,..With the differences between cylinders, I'm not gonna obsess about getting them all exact.

Of all of the weirdest sht that could happen today,..the weirdest was that I actually put a 1ga. ground cable on the positive post. That cable goes from the rear to the front, and is mounted on a floating grommet at the other end. Several of the ga. Grounds are tied into that cable. After I moved the battery, I got the cables mixed up, and put a negative cable on the positive terminal.

Why this didn't spark like a bitch is beyond me, and what actually happened was that the turn signal indicator lamps, and the " low water level" light came on. Turning the key revealed that the fuel pump wasn't working, so this must've also been the ground for the Ecu as well. Why this didn't burn up a whole bunch of stuff I'll never know, cause it surely could have.

The hood is kinda a point of contention for me.....there's nothing really wrong with the one that's on the car other than its got those blisters (G-Nostrils), and a buttload of bondo slathered on it. I am now forced to cut holes in the hood to accomodate the Aero-catch hood pins to hold the hood down...and if I cut this hood to install them, I'd have to have everything exactly the same when I change over..
I'm thinking I don't try to keep the existing hood, else wise I could be opening a can of worms if/when I decide to swap.
The paint is gonna need some serious work...there are now swirl marks all over it from me buffing the sides prior to the stripe install. Add to that that the paint has a texture like it's covered in sand,..the drivers rear quarter window is flaking like mad, and there are various chips and scratches here and there....it needs me.

When I did the video,..I realize just how much stuff I've done by what I forget to talk about..I never mention the interior...the hand bent steel, covered in leather, or the chromoly tubing that was mandrel bent in my driveway, cut and tigged together. I never talk about it at shows either,..everybody focuses on the engine..to me, the interior is more of an accomplishment than anything I've done on this car...

Since it has sat on its tires since this afternoon, the rake is back, the front tires are way the hell up in the fenders like they're sposed to be..the car sat high in those pics that I took,...clearly, it needed time to relax after hanging for 6 months.

Reactions: 1 users
Got metal dust in my eye...All in all, I tried my damnedest to screw up as many parts of my body as possible yesterday.
1. Holding a piece of steel ( with my hand) in the path of a cut off wheel spinning at 20,000 rpm. Blade kicked and raged right across the top of my left index finger, the splash of blood that followed as a result was something to make Quentin Tarantino proud. Everything's all good after the fact, but man that could've been so bad...
2. Cutting/grinding steel in a light wind managed to get the dust byproduct behind my glasses. One of these days, I'll learn...But it's probably gonna take another trip to the eye emergency room and a loss of eyesight in an eye to bring the lesson home.
3. Metal knees DO NOT like being knelt on. Unfortunately, I had to to try and get that battery moved into the dead zone where it'll be covered by a panel, and a Fairmont trunk is so damn deep, you have to get in the thing if you're reaching in under the rear package tray like I had to. I walked around like an 80 year old man for the remainder of the night.

Maybe I'll just take my own observations here to task. Maybe I'll use a more intelligent and safer path in the future to protect my hands, my eyes, my knees...it seems that I have to read what I write ( since I'm the only one doing it ) to see the truth.

As a case in point,...After seeing the car out in the light where I can back away from it,..I'm not completely in love with the rear wing. I actually like the duck tail better ( I think). Fortunately, the thing didn't cost a whole bunch of money, and if I don't use it, it won't kill me to let it hang on a wall somewhere. I'm still gonna have to swap decks because of the vent holes in the trunk, and now especially that there are 4 more holes in the top,.....but I gotta decide on which way to go. ( Ducktail)

Even sitting here thinking about it, the old mounts that I made out of steel could be made way better out of 1/4" plate..( think a triangle with the majority of the center cut out) gotta figure out how to do that w/o an end mill.

Reactions: 1 user
I always read what you post, Mike. I think the duck tail wing looks better. Good thing you didn't mount it on the replacement hood.

The aero catch pins can be installed on the old hood...seeing as though it's now destined to come off. It'll give you practice.

I was so happy to see the car out of the garage I actually laughed out loud with glee. Startled my wife...and I don't think she even focused on the picture ( or was listening ) when I tried to explain myself.

Looking good Mike. I also like the ducktail spoiler. You have done so much to that car I can see why it’s hard to remember. The interior is one of my favorite parts. I am actually remotely shocked you made a video of it with the interior having junk on the floor. Normally you like to have things all spiffy before you show the world.

Looking good Mike. I also like the ducktail spoiler. You have done so much to that car I can see why it’s hard to remember. The interior is one of my favorite parts. I am actually remotely shocked you made a video of it with the interior having junk on the floor. Normally you like to have things all spiffy before you show the world.
I was hurt, tired, and broken....otherwise there's no way in hell I woulda done that.

Blood and gore need pics too! :cookie:

Glad it wasn't serious enough to go to the ER. Because that :poo: costs so much, you'd have to sell the Monster, or at least your fancy lounge chair to pay for it.

I like the look, but I will say I am relieved to hear you are probably staying with the duck tail. I never liked those wings. The duck tail looks way better. I wish there was one available for a hatch.

Ok it runs...I know it runs, cause I have it on video now. That would give me license to upgrade the ecu to MS3x.
Steve suggested that I get a pre wired second harness, and I'm gonna do that. That way the primary DB37 will remain connected to the relay board and continue to function as it always has, and leave " endless possibilities" for the second DB37 port that exits the larger chassis box.

Yea me.....one more thing I put in the path of getting the car roadworthy. ( if we all go back however far, we'll all remember that I have since confessed to having Car Munchausens disease....a sickness where I keep the car in a state of continuous build/repair/upgrade so that I'll have a purpose in my life...:rolleyes: )

I've decided to ditch the rear wing. ( It's the popular thing to do) I'm just glad that I didn't spend the money that a concours resto piece costs....it'd be real hard to hang a 300-400.00 piece on the wall. ( although I'm currently doing that kinda already,.....how much would a custom built f.i. intake for a Australian Crossflow head cost ya spose?.....)
image.jpeg

Maybe I can sell the wing to some ricer on CL...

Is there such a thing as a ricer anymore?...I'm thinkin that those guys have all died off with the last of the available 240 SX's out there...

Dicking with that trunk deck is gonna add more paint damage to the rear, I can almost guarantee it. And IIRC, I literally bondo'd the existing trunk deck on there so that I'd have a really nice transition onto the rear tail light panel, and then cut it back off of the car with a hacksaw blade when it was in bodywork stage...so, I'll be curious to see how short this deck ends up when I lay it on there.

Why does this have to be so hard?

could be worse.... you could be lamenting over how many cubic inches to build your engine... or how the machine shop has not called you about the status of the bare block you dropped off to them a month ago.... or how you have missed not one but TWO sales waiting to hear back from them. just sayin

• Agree
could be worse.... you could be lamenting over how many cubic inches to build your engine... or how the machine shop has not called you about the status of the bare block you dropped off to them a month ago.... or how you have missed not one but TWO sales waiting to hear back from them. just sayin
If you took that engine to the same machine shop, I'm gonna come down there and smack the teacher out of you.

you have no idea how hard i just laughed at that.
No it did not go to the same shop that has now ended the life of 4 grudge event cars, that guy has almost 0 business from the performance community since he started butchering engines. Rumor has it he ruined not one but two dart shp blocks.

The block was dropped off at a shop that JR suggested this time around.

I am considering buying a complete balanced rotating assembly because i do not trust the shops around here to get it right anymore.

Machine shops are the worst of all the automotive service shops out there...Worse than a chassis shop, far worse than any repair shop...
Most machine shops do their damnedest to get commercial accounts so they can keep a constant supply of work coming in the door. The problem is that it's those shops that are the ones that you and I can afford. The race shops where all they do is hotrodding sht charge a premium for their services, but you usually get your stuff back before you wanted it ( if you were budgeting the money for the work) On the other hand if you've taken you junk to shop #1, and If you're hoping that that they'll eventually get to you, w/o you hounding them, forget it. You'll have to haunt them like a ghost.

He didn't, I hooked him up with one that in my area, they are one of the few 'speed parts' stores/machine shop around anymore, small shop, same team thats been together for years, and yes there is a 'wait ' time.
He's still gonna have to hold them accountable...they probably have a calendar with a 12th of never on it.

Ha! Just looked at the MS3x stuff in the drawer,.....I actually ordered the small bundle of wires when I bought that stuff. I already have what I need to build the second pigtail for the ecu...just need to find a diagram on where to solder the wires. To the db37 connector.

No, he is going to hold me accountable.
i rarely recommend shops/services, people are people and they will fail you. I was taught 'service and integrity ' while I worked for my grandfather growing up. Something missing in this day and age mostly because of people taking advantage of others and just a general lack of a conscious.

Status
Not open for further replies.