Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Cranking oil pressure..
IMAG0423.jpg

25-30 psi just cranking it with the starter. I decided against using the " Contraption" to pressurize the oil system had me worried that I might blow some contaminated piece of fungoo into some small passage, and doom this engine to failure. So....I cranked it.
Annndd the starter stayed engaged.

So I got that going for me.....which is nice.

It took all day to mock the engine up The problem with freakin I6’s is that they’re long. They can only go so far back. couple that to the fact that I got that external pick up tube hanging out there threatening to jam or break off from engine weight, and you have to be real careful.
8351F33D-AB87-4D84-B770-E06B5A284B92.jpeg

But it’s in there. ( for today)

Despite the fact that’s it’s centered, it looks wrong. Despite the fact that it’s centered,...it can’t stay that way.
sht don’t fit.
C73A2384-482F-42E7-96FC-E16A41D36A05.jpeg

the brake lines have to be reworked,...the transmission is probably gonna hit the driver side of the tunnel...and when you start putting stuff on the car...it looks off center. Too much sht goin on on the driver side, not enough goin on on the passenger side.

I fully intended to put the trans in with the engine, but decided against that until I tried the fit of the engine by itself..If I had put the trans in there, it’d probably have stopped me from making the mounts with the engine centered.. ( because it wouldn't fit that way)

But because I like to do sht over...

and over,...

and over... I made the mounts.
F085A06C-1515-43CD-B69C-B078B63B8B20.jpeg

5FDE347F-5B34-4119-99F1-1854DDDB0BF5.jpeg

Now that I plan to move the engine over, the driver side mount just need the appropriate spacers....the passenger side...

will be a do over...or at the very least, a cut and paste.

But it is what it is,...Im probably gonna move the thing 1/2” . That should give me clearance for the trans, and balance the engine compartment. I figure that since I’m sitting on that side, a little offset to the right should help to balance the car weight-wise...but more importantly for me, it’ll put things right in my head.

Not pictured is the engine valley cover...not finished painting that just yet..besides, not ready for it anyway.

Reactions: 4 users
For once I agree with your OCD. It could be the pictures, but it looks like it needs to go more than 1/2" over...like 2". In any case, that's major progress and you are much closer to

:mg: and smoky burnouts!

Reactions: 1 user
*Sigh*

Today I pulled the engine that was mocked up, and bolted the thing to my transmission. Then attempted to put the combo back in place.

it don’t fit.

The difference between the engine by itself, and the bolted together combo is that you cannot get the transmission high enough to level the engine....nor can you get it far enough forward to get it where the trans crossmember will bolt up.

The one corner of the oil pan collides with the K member, and the external -16 pick up tube is all over the steering rack.

Andddddd...the pan has started to show signs of leaking.

When adding all of that sht up, it left me no choice but to pull the engine, remove the pan,..cut the one corner off,..deal with the new leaks and reconfigure the external pick up tube.
Instead of installing the engine.
IMAG0429_zpsyplvcizv.jpg

Its got no pan on it...it won’t have a pan on it for a while.
IMAG0431_zpsxmykva1y.jpg

This diagonal in the K member made the square edge of the oil pan a no go.

49792EE8-AE61-42F0-A3DC-846DA48B42FA.jpeg

2A1B6BDF-BC9E-43BB-9833-F0608108F78F.jpeg

Which left me no choice but to cut the corner off and create the diagonal relief that would allow the engine to move forward.
Im gonna have to create a tight external pick up tube that won’t extend below the bottom of the pan like the -16 does now. Trying to find a supplier that makes a mild steel 1” mandrel bend so I can make that is a problem. I found one,...on Amazon...but it’s gonna be a week at least before it gets here.

So,...that engine will have to hang there...and I’ll have to work around it until I get the freakin parts to build that tube.

Ok,..gonna seem crazy, but an offer too good to refuse.

Guy calls me up, says he’s been watching the build for the last 5 years. Likes the way I’ve moved to the 2jz, and has offered to swap me into one of my dream cars. ( plus a lot of cash of course).

He’s offering me a 1975 Ranchero( absolutely the single must have in my dream car arsenal) plus 15k for the Monster as is.
( how can I not take this?)
The car he has is an all original 400m/C6 ground pounder With 113k miles. it’ll need a little work to be sure, but it’s all there. And ( here’s the best part) it already has an edelbrock torker iI intake, a Holley 600 com vac secondary carb, duraspark distributor, Aussie 2bbl heads, and full length 1.750” full length headers.
IMAG0172_zps97nrldux.jpg

Im waiting to hear if he’ll take the deal.
Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.