Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to backtrack here Mike, but the EPS intrigues me. The unit bolts under the dash in line with the column? Interesting. I had made the poor assumption that it was tied into the rack somehow.
You're not the only one intrigued by it. After I get settled into my new job in a couple of weeks, I'll be tackling this one as well. It's just too good of an idea not to run with it.

• Sponsors (?)

You're not the only one intrigued by it. After I get settled into my new job in a couple of weeks, I'll be tackling this one as well. It's just too good of an idea not to run with it.

Agreed, after all the different ways Mike has impressed us with making things NOT designed for this application, or even in the same century as the application was designed in, fit into said application... this one has my attention!

It‘s almost a crime.
Something’s just gotta be wrong when w/o hardly any modifications AT ALL you can make a Prius EPS motor assembly fit in the stock column mount in an old Fox body..

But that’s what I did.

This is mega condensed, I took very few progress pics. After I started doing it, I realized that while it seemed relatively straight forward, nobody is gonna butcher their stock column like I did to make this work. So I figured that I was doing it for myself in typical one-off fashion.

I figured I’d fill the oil pan and check it for leaks one final time while I was doing other stuff.

No leaks.
IMAG0391.jpg

I called the guy that makes the Coil mount bracket. He said I could send it back for a refund. I told him I planned to use the LS coils that I have, and will remote mount them..He didn’t have anything good to say about that. ( Said LS coils were noisy, low output, and failure prone.)....Perfect.
IMAG0392.jpg

As opposed to having coils mounted between the cams, and having to hack it up, I prefer to use this cover, although I’m not too keen on keeping the Toyota script. If I can, I’ll smooth off all of the Toyota badging completely...that little oval area where the Toyota logo is......Hmmmmm...What could I put there I wonder? What other manufacturer uses an oval shape for their logo.....
Ill have to check.
IMAG0393.jpg
IMAG0394.jpg

Here’s the meat and potatoes...getting it to this point was stupid easy. After cleaning off all of the Toyo-brackets,..you can literally re use the rear mount “ slip mount” to hold the thing in close proximity to where it needs to go. The motor fits in the factory cut out. On the output side, I’ve ordered a 17mm splined coupler that converts to double d. I’ll have a small output shaft hanging out through the firewall that will be DD.

IMAG0395.jpg

To get it to where you see it was a bunch of work. The input shaft on the Prius is splined, the steering shaft on the fox is DD. I had to cut and modify the input and the outputs a few times to get the thing to this state. I’m gonna put the Mount bracket in permanently, and hang the EPS motor to determine if if got this thing the right overall length, and make sure it’s clocked correctly before I weld it together. Once I do that, it’s final..No do overs. I’ll be sealing the steering shaft inside the tube with no way to get stuff apart should something be wrong ( which is entirely possible)

The steering shaft that connects the Prius to the ford is fairly involved. I was able to cut it using a big tubing cutter, so I was able to keep the cuts square. The “involved” part was how to join the two. I decided to tap each one using a 1/2” pipe tap. Then thread a close nipple in, and literally screw the two ends together. It kept it straight enough to allow me to beat and bang on it until it rolled fairly consistent.

Then I welded the piss out of it.

One end slides tightly over the splined input shaft that the Prius had, the other end transitions from round to DD, and it slides into the steering shaft of the Monster. The shaft is supported behind the steering wheel with a bearing, and the Prius motor is rigid, so no need to support it on that end.

After I hang the thing, Mark it for clocking, make sure that it’s not too long/or short ( nothing I can do about that) I’ll remove it and.....

Weld the piss out of that too.

Reactions: 5 users
clocking of the motor ect. I dont mind cutting the steering shaft up if this thing fits nicely and can rid me of the PS pump.

To mount the motor, did you just take the lower bearing? retainer and weld the tabs onto it for the EPS motor?
I just used the mount. Originally, after bolting the rear mount to the factory slip mount, I made a piece of wood that fit inside of what was left of the front of the original steering column so that it would support the output shaft of the prius motor at the same angle that the factory column was. Once I cut the wood to fit inside the tube, I drilled the center out just big enough for the Prius output shaft to fit in. I made tabs that I bolted to the three bolt holes in the front of the Prius motor, and welded them to the front mount. Once that was done, I removed the front mount, welded, and reinforced the mount system, and beat out the remaining short piece of steering column that had that wooden “ donut” in it.

IMAG0392.jpg

As opposed to having coils mounted between the cams, and having to hack it up, I prefer to use this cover, although I’m not too keen on keeping the Toyota script. If I can, I’ll smooth off all of the Toyota badging completely...that little oval area where the Toyota logo is......Hmmmmm...What could I put there I wonder?
Ooooh I know!!!!!

41FF3305-uL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
My last concern before I bite off on the EPS altogether is how it fits under the dash. You're probably going to have more room than us bellybutton owners (or maybe not?) but having just been up in there swapping pedals, there isn't much room for error.

My last concern before I bite off on the EPS altogether is how it fits under the dash. You're probably going to have more room than us bellybutton owners (or maybe not?) but having just been up in there swapping pedals, there isn't much room for error.
You guys...:nonono:
I can take the entire dash out of an 87-93 mustang, and BOlT in in my car. My car shares the exact same interior forward of the two front seats with the entire lemming hoard here.
If that thing fits in my car, it’ll fit in yours too.

You guys...:nonono:
I can take the entire dash out of an 87-93 mustang, and BOlT in in my car. My car shares the exact same interior forward of the two front seats with the entire lemming hoard here.
If that thing fits in my car, it’ll fit in yours too.
Yes, but you don't have a mustang dash in there currently, nor do you have the rat nest of wires that we do. But I'll take your word for it. Anxious to see it go in.

It seems that I have yet another dilemma to obsess over. Now that I’m having to consider what to do with the LS coils that I thought would fit ( that don’t). These things are the standard LS coil that is on everything in GM’s fleet. If I keep them, I’ll need to build a bracket to mount them, but after the conversation with the guy yesterday about an LS coil being noisy and unreliable, I am concerned. Using them will require another spark plug wire set, ( which I just bought, but will return if need be)
Every other option is either more money, or.....more money.

I’m thinking I’m keeping them.

thoughts?

It seems that I have yet another dilemma to obsess over. Now that I’m having to consider what to do with the LS coils that I thought would fit ( that don’t). These things are the standard LS coil that is on everything in GM’s fleet. If I keep them, I’ll need to build a bracket to mount them, but after the conversation with the guy yesterday about an LS coil being noisy and unreliable, I am concerned. Using them will require another spark plug wire set, ( which I just bought, but will return if need be)

thoughts?
Ls coils will support up to 100hp per cyl..... IGN1a will support much more.
I am using jy ls coils on mine

thoughts?
Unreliable for what? I've had 2 5.3, Avlanche and Sub. Sub has over 250k miles, Avalanche is gone but had 175k when it left. Never replaced a coil. Put 2 waterpumps on the Sub. 2 Alt on the Sub. 1 trans in the Av.
Richard Holdener did his 4.8 Big Bang years ago and got 1000hp+ iirc correctly before it blew the spark out.

They'll be fine. If you're worried, you can probably go to Pull A Part and pick up another 2 or 4 for $30.

I’m sneakin into the basement at 6:30 AM this morning. I had to be at work at 9 am...I figure I gotta an hour....and I can’t make any noise.
I install the TTY main cap bolts......I hate these things.
9F19DE03-BA77-4980-9B6F-2E10F22A956F.jpeg

I put my oil pan together....cause it’s gonna go on next.
B77E7532-E825-428F-B33E-276C2C5674AF.jpeg

hiding down there, under that plate thingy is the pick up tube..( which is a cobbled together version of the original pickup tube bolted to the side of my cobbled together homemade oil pan). It’s one of the things that keeps me awake at night.....” How is oil gonna get all the way from there,...through the river,....over the woods...to Grandmothers house,...through the external -16 pick up tube, then back into the engine, before ever going to the pump?”
8FFDA7CA-800E-4D17-BACB-0C1A75AD82E3.jpeg

it don’t matter now.....that bitch is glued down to the engine using the right stuff.

Reactions: 4 users

thoughts?

Is there room for the coil packs underneath this?:
1580000173480.png

Status
Not open for further replies.