Status
Not open for further replies.
I am weird in a sense (or few) where I don’t really have a desire to travel abroad. While I do appreciate architecture quiet a bit, I don’t really care to go places where I don’t know the language, stand out like a sore thumb, and struggle to find a good burger/steak and French fries. Guess I’m just too simple minded is all. American beach or mountain towns are where you will find me vacationing. Cheaper and easier for this simple folk.

Not sure why I even told you that, not trying to convince you of anything....

Oh, and I’m 12 years in at my place of employment now, and still very much live the “they will leave it” life. There aren’t many places that put their employees over profits in my circle of friends.

• Sponsors (?)

Ta man.

This is Mikes post.

But....

Its a terrible thing when the gun man was planning this from his residence in Sommerville Street in my home town (Dunedin),
who could arrive to and from Australia on an international flight,
with weapons stollen locally, who then decided from a point of impact that Christchurch would be a better place to attack.

This rates as the 8 th worst non war gun tradgedy in history the world over, and the worst in New Zealand, worse (by one death, as 50 have died know) than the mowing down of Japanese POW's here at the during WWII.

Time for us to pray, but also keep the camels tied up and stop this nonsense now.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Each week goes by, and as each day off approaches again, I put on the broken record, and go over the same sht in my head.

Can I get it done? Can I get it done? Can I get it done?............

Last week I got bogged down with the cooling shroud...it had to be redone so that I could remount the oil coolers...and that is now complete.
The MS3x wouldn't take that much time to swap out components to complete it, but I wouldn't do anything different immediately to take advantage of the upgrade, so I'm not gonna let that get in the way.

That will be for another day. Getting the thing running is the goal. Once running properly again, I can focus on the cosmetics that the car needs, ( the other side stripes and decal) and the prep, repaint and install on the hood and trunk.

So then, here is all that truly stands between me and a restart:
  1. Hook up the down pipe and hang the exhaust....( what shall we say?......1hour?)
  2. Install the belt and tighten, then Prime the oil pump.....15 mins
  3. Install the stupid leaky Lokar transmission dipstick tube...gotta find a way to seal this thing..and that may add time, and fill the transmission with fluid..30-60 mins. ( I've saved the fluid that I drained out in a sealed tub...it was new then, it's still new now,..the problem will be how to pour all of that fluid out of that big assed tub into that narrow little funnel.)
  4. Install the radiator, and refill the cooling system. 30 mins.
  5. Recal the wide band o2 sensor....10 mins. it's screwed in, but there hasn't been any exhaust in that pipe since it was coated, so it should be " free air".
  6. Turn the key?
Less than 3 hours ....I could almost sneak that in tomorrow if I get up at 6...Provided I don't see any squirrels to have to stop and give chase to,...Sunday maybe, definitely on Tuesday....it'll run this week...

If it does,...if it doesn't leak,....if it doesn't blow up....ill put the btch on the ground, and roll it out under its own power. And take a picture of the new theme..maybe even rinse the dirty thing. Hell, I may even wash it for real.

But I can't drive it....There's nothing holding the hood down anymore..the new hood is getting those Aerocatch hood pin things, I removed the latch mechanism..( I thing it looks stupid hanging up like it does)

So, I may do a temp tie down if I get so inclined to do a test drive, but I'm keeping the latch off on purpose...it'll force me to focus on the new hood...cause there's a scoop for that hood to go with the new Spoiler theme, and a big stupid decal that was on the factory versions of this car in the late 60's/early 70's....and mines gonna be no different.

So.....running, rolling, hood, trunk, decals, done.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Went to the DR 2 years ago for our 10 year. The beaches and the water are different then our beaches here. Not really dirty, but the sand is so fine that it whips up in the water and makes it a little dirty looking. If you do go, defiently check out the Hoyo Azul, and if you aren't terrified of heights (I am), then they have a pretty good zip line course too(ZOOM IN TO SEE THE LANDING PAD).
20170511_131652.jpg
20170511_203753.jpg

Joe

Reactions: 1 users
Harbor Freight has these little fluid pumps,it would probably work pretty well to fill your transmission from the sealed tub you have
E3ACDE6D-B4B8-4AE6-BCE6-1A244E75E4FF.jpeg
I had one ( and thanks for the suggestion). It was a "one use" thing for me, because once there's fluid in the tubes, and pump, that's all it's good for. ( you can't get it clean afterwards, and it's just a filth magnet after that)

I'll get me a one qt. measuring cup and transfer the fluid into that one painful qt. at a time.

QUOTE="95BlueStallion, post: 9162171, member: 120010"]I am weird in a sense (or few) where I don’t really have a desire to travel abroad. While I do appreciate architecture quiet a bit, I don’t really care to go places where I don’t know the language, stand out like a sore thumb, and struggle to find a good burger/steak and French fries. Guess I’m just too simple minded is all. American beach or mountain towns are where you will find me vacationing. Cheaper and easier for this simple folk.

Oh, and I’m 12 years in at my place of employment now, and still very much live the “they will leave it” life. There aren’t many places that put their employees over profits in my circle of friends.[/QUOTE]

It's catch up Sunday for me, so I'll address your comment today. There's certainly plenty to see in the US to be sure, but you can't make a characterization of how it would be in a European country if you've never been there.

Firstly, the language barrier hasn't been a problem for me. I don't speak Spanish, yet was able to have a fantastic time there 4 years ago. most hotels, and restaurants speak your language. It's not just architecture, it's culture, and heritage..everybody here came from somewhere over there unless you're an Eskimo, or Native American.
Nowhere in the US can you see history that dates back to our "civilized" origins...everything in the US that eminiates from western migration is 400 years old max... Whether it is Spain or Italy, Germany or France, England or any other country in the EU, there are Druid ruins, and evidence of the Roman Empire that dates back to the birth of Christ everywhere.
Mega cool stuff like this:
060519_columbus_hmed_9a.grid-6x2.jpg

That's our boy Christopher Columbus's tomb. All those Chinese tourists are looking up over 100 feet at the ceiling carved by hand over a thousand years ago, that is so ornate it just makes your jaw drop.

Everybody tours Europe, so nobody " stands out like a sore thumb".

It would do a lot of the " White nationalists" good in this country to get out of the mobile home and go see stuff like this. Because it was from this continent 500 years ago, that everyone of those hating bastards most distant relatives all managed to get on a boat and sail across the Atlantic,..hoping that the chance for a new life was at the other end.

Last edited:
  • Clever
Reactions: 2 users
As submitted yesterday, I did get to work on the thing up to about 4pm from about 11am. I don't know where I get my time frame estimates from with regard to how long it takes me to do sht, but clearly I need to double everything. It is basically together in the engine compartment, minus re-calibrating the o2 sensor, filling the transmission and radiator, and bolting in the short leg of the down pipe, and the exhaust pipe after that.
I had that down pipe in there once, but now that I've redone the transmission lines in braided as opposed to steel, they are just too close to the hot sht now. Out it came....I've gotta go to some parts store and buy some heat wrap, and I can put it back in.

The exhaust has to be bolted to the down pipe. Done. After that it's vroom time.
But.......
I'm not making an estimate.

I did have to remove the other cooling fan that I added to the radiator...it was all over the oil pump drive belt..Now I'm back down to two....and they didn't do the job in stop and go 90 degree traffic like you have at a large Cruise-in event like Crusin the coast...
I'm sure the radiator is big enough,......it's a cooling fan thing. And there's no room behind to deal with that.

I'll have to get creative.

I am weird in a sense (or few) where I don’t really have a desire to travel abroad. While I do appreciate architecture quiet a bit, I don’t really care to go places where I don’t know the language, stand out like a sore thumb, and struggle to find a good burger/steak and French fries. Guess I’m just too simple minded is all. American beach or mountain towns are where you will find me vacationing. Cheaper and easier for this simple folk.

Oh, and I’m 12 years in at my place of employment now, and still very much live the “they will leave it” life. There aren’t many places that put their employees over profits in my circle of friends.

It's catch up Sunday for me, so I'll address your comment today. There's certainly plenty to see in the US to be sure, but you can't make a characterization of how it would be in a European country if you've never been there.

Firstly, the language barrier hasn't been a problem for me. I don't speak Spanish, yet was able to have a fantastic time there 4 years ago. most hotels, and restaurants speak your language. It's not just architecture, it's culture, and heritage..everybody here came from somewhere over there unless you're an Eskimo, or Native American.
Nowhere in the US can you see history that dates back to our "civilized" origins...everything in the US that eminiates from western migration is 400 years old max... Whether it is Spain or Italy, Germany or France, England or any other country in the EU, there are Druid ruins, and evidence of the Roman Empire that dates back to the birth of Christ everywhere.
Mega cool stuff like this:
060519_columbus_hmed_9a.grid-6x2.jpg

That's our boy Christopher Columbus's tomb. All those Chinese tourists are looking up over 100 feet at the ceiling carved by hand over a thousand years ago, that is so ornate it just makes your jaw drop.

Everybody tours Europe, so nobody " stands out like a sore thumb".

It would do a lot of the " White nationalists" good in this country to get out of the mobile home and go see stuff like this. Because it was from this continent 500 years ago, that everyone of those hating bastards most distant relatives all managed to get on a boat and sail across the Atlantic,..hoping that the chance for a new life was at the other end.
I would add to that that I would highly recommend that everyone at least try to make ONE trip overseas somewhere in their lifetime. I'm not even talking about going to large tourist areas. I was very much like Nick in my attitude toward seeing anything outside America until the military saw fit to send me to Germany for four years. The most fun we had was when we visited places off the beaten path. You're right. It's about much more than architecture. It's the people, the food, the culture, etc.

I always think of Robin Williams' line in Good Will Hunting: "If I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written. Michaelangelo. You know a lot about him. Life's work, political aspirations, sexual orientation, him and the Pope, the whole works. But I bet you can't tell me what is smells like in the Sistine Chapel."

There's a whole world out there that is amazing if you're fortunate enough to experience it.

Spoiler alert: it doesn't really smell like anything in the Sistine Chapel.

Edit: And it's easy to not stand out as long as you abstain from wearing the standard American tourist uniform of khaki shorts, basketball shoes or flip flops, and a fanny pack.

We know where I was....this is where I am.
20190319_185236_zpsfbxtc0he.jpg

The water pump no worky...There was a time last year that I took the thing apart, cause I was gonna do something to modify it...it appears that I fcked it up...cause now it doesn't move water.

The engine started on the first crank. It ran too fast, and it ran to lean. I shut it off knowing that something was leaking air, unfortunately, there is no way to check it. I recalibrated the o2 sensor, and it came within tolerable spec, but it still rant too fast.

And, it was getting hot fast.

So,....I hooked up the computer to the ecu and did some I/O checking to see if that freakin water pump was turning on ( cause you can't hear the damn thing with all of the rest of the engine noises). It was...but barely making a whirring sound. And when you look in the radiator,...there ain't sht happenin in there.

So I cost myself 200.00 messing around with the old pump. Cause that what a new one costs. They say when something dies, any fluids that were in the thing "leak out":eek:.. So,...I pulled the pump........
20190319_185248_zpsygzgttrh.jpg

Sure enough...this btch is dead.

This was a proform,.I ordered a Summit piece this time around... ( they're copying CVR..it's kinda the same looking thing like above, but draws less current). Regardless,...it's still a damn SBChevy piece.
I also ordered one of those high flow t stats...it'll all be here tomorrow.
sum-316002_at_xl.jpg

I removed the iron lung..and rigged up a pressure testing thing-a-majig....it's leaking like a pig...
20190319_185411_zps7ssnzauc.jpg

Clearly, this is where my RPM increase is coming from......I don't know what I'm gonna do to fix this...there are so many fittings,.... Several of them leaking.....I'm thinking I'm changing this hard stuff over to convention barbs, and rubber hoses...

The transmission dipstick leaks like a btch...the tail shaft still leaks...it's still on the WTF list.. There was no water in the head when I removed the T stat housing,....piece of sht pump didn't move any water into the engine...that all changes when the new stuff gets here.

But...it started on the first crank......made 100 psi of oil pressure at 1500 rpm. It went into gear, and I'm happy.

Attachments

• 20190319_185411_zps7ssnzauc.jpg
    20190319_185411_zps7ssnzauc.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 130
  • Surprised
Reactions: 4 users
It's Parrot time....

If you aren't using Summit to purchase your stuff, you're cheating yourself. I ordered that pump and t stat at 9 pm last night. It'll be here at 2 pm today. I mean think of the stuff these guys move, that they actually have UPS and Fed Ex trucks at their shipping docks up until the midnight cutoff for standard ground delivery.

Thinking out loud here ( I always think out loud here).

The dipstick tube issue is one thing, but I blamed the leaking tail shaft last year on a bad bushing that was allowing the yoke to move around excessively.
But this thing is leaking before the car was ever started. The yoke showed no sign of damage or wear, and the seal seems like it was tight...where else can this piece of junk be leaking back there?

It's Parrot time....

If you aren't using Summit to purchase your stuff, you're cheating yourself. I ordered that pump and t stat at 9 pm last night. It'll be here at 2 pm today. I mean think of the stuff these guys move, that they actually have UPS and Fed Ex trucks at their shipping docks up until the midnight cutoff for standard ground delivery.
The only reason I'm reticent to buy from Summit these days is because they have a retail location in Texas now. This means I have to pay theft—I mean, tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.