Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Fun times!! Well, in my defense, I was just trying to pace you to hear the turbo but when you floored it you pulled me pretty hard and I had to work to reel you in but I ran out of real estate. Good win tho, Mike! :nice::cool:

I must say, the Monster is more impressive in person than all the pictures on here....and we all know how awesome it looks on here. It was an honor to meet the legendary Mad Mike; Mikey 2-Times; CarMichael Angelo....AND The Gila Monster. Hopefully this will be a regular trip for you. So....see ya next year, Mike!

Reactions: 1 users
Meridian,...halfway point.
Oil was blowing everywhere, tells me that the oil/water was plugged.

So,...i got to fix it. Inspection reveals that there is water backed up so high, the thing isn't breathing anymore..( looks like I'll have to go back to the drawing board again.
Here,..let me tell you how it's been going otherwise..before I had to tear the thing apart.

Reactions: 3 users
Well 787 round trip miles on the Monster's clock..and aside from a junk PCV system, and one occasion where the engine saw 240 degrees..the car was dead reliable.

I became so comfortable with the car, I started driving it with two fingers instead of the two fists that I used to drive it down there. Matter of fact, I decided to let the Little Japanese Kid sing songs at the top of his lungs for the last 140 miles. ( he does that so well)
Despite all of that though....you could still hear the valve train clattering along even above the loudness coming from the LJK.
I stopped at Meridian and took that PCV system completely apart, and cleaned out all of the yellow green funk that comes as a result of water and oil co-mingling. I took off the hoses, and blew through them. Sprayed out the tiny little reservoir with brake clean, and put it back together.

Only to have oil all over the engine when I got home.

The problem is that stupid little seperator,...it's really too small for this engine I think..the other problem is that the engine makes a lot of vapor....and after it gets gooked up with oil, it won't drain into the little glass jar, Consequently backing up into the main suction line going to the vacuum pump. the vacuum pump only runs when the engine is in boost . And by the time the vacuum pump sees an " on" signal there is water in the tube....

And it sucks that water through it, and expels it.........back into the intake stream.

No, no, no said the monkey fightin finger.:nono:

I'm thinkin that the 120.09 vacuum pump is going on the bench, and I'm re-plumbing the main suction tube back into the charge tube so that the thing will see some sort of vacuum all the time, to includes boost. I gotta figure out whether an angle cut on the nipple that sticks into the charge tube will create a vacuum , and cut it that way accordingly.

The Corbeaus are ordered. As stated on the ride along. Summit has them in stock. I just ordered the standard black cloth sets ( Besides...as hot as it gets down here, cloth will be a welcome surface to have my back against) . Now I have two scat seats that I can repurpose as Monster Lair side chairs...Especially nice considering that I have a company rewards card that had 750.00 of the 836.00 that they cost.

So,....Corbeau GTSII's for 86 bucks...How can you pass that deal up?

I'll probably drain the oil tomorrow as a final check to determine the health on the engine...( I can't imagine that an engine going bad would've made it as far as this one did with out a failure), but this is a ford 6....these are the engines that have to have the oil and water drained out of them in order to get them to blow up when they do the " Brick on the gas pedal" vids...otherwise they just keep running.

On a final Note...Stangboy ( Craig) has a 363...a 363 by even modest standards should make...what......400 RWHP?

See where I'm going with this?;)

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Well 787 round trip miles on the Monster's clock..and aside from a junk PCV system, and one occasion where the engine saw 240 degrees..the car was dead reliable.

I became so comfortable with the car, I started driving it with two fingers instead of the two fists that I used to drive it down there. Matter of fact, I decided to let the Little Japanese Kid sing songs at the top of his lungs for the last 140 miles. ( he does that so well)
Despite all of that though....you could still hear the valve train clattering along even above the loudness coming from the LJK.
I stopped at Meridian and took that PCV system completely apart, and cleaned out all of the yellow green funk that comes as a result of water and oil co-mingling. I took off the hoses, and blew through them. Sprayed out the tiny little reservoir with brake clean, and put it back together.

Only to have oil all over the engine when I got home.

The problem is that stupid little seperator,...it's really too small for this engine I think..the other problem is that the engine makes a lot of vapor....and after it gets gooked up with oil, it won't drain into the little glass jar, Consequently backing up into the main suction line going to the vacuum pump. the vacuum pump only runs when the engine is in boost . And by the time the vacuum pump sees an " on" signal there is water in the tube....

And it sucks that water through it, and expels it.........back into the intake stream.

No, no, no said the monkey fightin finger.:nono:

I'm thinkin that the 120.09 vacuum pump is going on the bench, and I'm re-plumbing the main suction tube back into the charge tube so that the thing will see some sort of vacuum all the time, to includes boost. I gotta figure out whether an angle cut on the nipple that sticks into the charge tube will create a vacuum , and cut it that way accordingly.

The Corbeaus are ordered. As stated on the ride along. Summit has them in stock. I just ordered the standard black cloth sets ( Besides...as hot as it gets down here, cloth will be a welcome surface to have my back against) . Now I have two scat seats that I can repurpose as Monster Lair side chairs...Especially nice considering that I have a company rewards card that had 750.00 of the 836.00 that they cost.

So,....Corbeau GTSII's for 86 bucks...How can you pass that deal up?

I'll probably drain the oil tomorrow as a final check to determine the health on the engine...( I can't imagine that an engine going bad would've made it as far as this one did with out a failure), but this is a ford 6....these are the engines that have to have the oil and water drained out of them in order to get them to blow up when they do the " Brick on the gas pedal" vids...otherwise they just keep running.

On a final Note...Stangboy ( Craig) has a 363...a 363 by even modest standards should make...what......400 RWHP?

See where I'm going with this?;)
Well Mike, on that note, I think an actual race....I mean a rematch is an order the next time we meet. Next time lets get to the more desserted area I told you about. :D:rlaugh:I won't be worried about "listening to the Chinese turbo sing". You'll be able to able to hear my "belly button car" scream.....LOUDLY....In front of you. :D:cool::burnout:

I'm so glad the cops let us go! I didn't think to get Jason's(the one I know) number. I'll try to find him on Facebook.

Well like I said, It was great meeting you and I hope you come back next year.

P.S. Hopefully I'll make it to the dyno after I install my PIMP ecu along with all the other things I told you about. I think my car is making at least 400hp to the wheels right now, especially considering it was running so bad on the dyno the last time and it made 365.

Oh yeah, and I saw where you were going with that statement. I ain't puttin a 6 cylinder in my car, Mike!;)

Well Mike, on that note, I think an actual race....I mean a rematch is an order the next time we meet. Next time lets get to the more desserted area I told you about. :D:rlaugh:I won't be worried about "listening to the Chinese turbo sing". You'll be able to able to hear my "belly button car" scream.....LOUDLY....In front of you. :D:cool::burnout:

I'm so glad the cops let us go! I didn't think to get Jason's(the one I know) number. I'll try to find him on Facebook.

Well like I said, It was great meeting you and I hope you come back next year.

P.S. Hopefully I'll make it to the dyno after I install my PIMP ecu along with all the other things I told you about. I think my car is making at least 400hp to the wheels right now, especially considering it was running so bad on the dyno the last time and it made 365.

Oh yeah, and I saw where you were going with that statement. I ain't puttin a 6 cylinder in my car, Mike!;)

Actually, I was using your car to gauge mine Craig...
And, by all means,.......I would want you to stay with what you got. I mean after all,....if youre good having to explain how a 40 year old granpa car, powered by a equally crotchedy 40 year old engine , with two cylinders less than you got, and is 113 cubic cubic inches smaller than yours, could even stay beside you in any gear........
At 7 psi.....
Than you shouldn't have any problem telling anyone how you got btch slapped by the same car at 14.:O_o:

Naaah.....I'm just playin Craig . I know that all you'll need to make sure you'll beat me next time, is to come to the dance with more than what you brung the last time.........;)
Or if you don't step it up,....Maybe it'd be better if I give you the hit?;);)

Ok,...I'm done...You are way too big a guy for me to keep yanking your chain. You'd hit me and I'd crumple like a potato chip..I'm done teasing. Really.

I'm glad we got to see each other face to face. And Hell yeah I'm glad too that they let us go...I heard that they were fining guys 1100.00 for exhibition just by doing burn outs or first gear launches at intersections.

I think we'd still be in jail if they cited us for drag racing, and you and I would be trying to figure out how we were gonna get the cars out of impound.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, I was using your car to gauge mine Craig...
And, by all means,.......I would want you to stay with what you got. I mean after all,....if youre good having to explain how a 40 year old granpa car, powered by a equally crotchedy 40 year old engine , with two cylinders less than you got, and is 113 cubic cubic inches smaller than yours, could even stay beside you in any gear........
At 7 psi.....
Than you shouldn't have any problem telling anyone how you got btch slapped by the same car at 14.:O_o:

Naaah.....I'm just playin Craig . I know that all you'll need to make sure you'll beat me next time, is to come to the dance with more than what you brung the last time.........;)
Or if you don't step it up,....Maybe it'd be better if I give you the hit?;);)

Ok,...I'm done...You are way too big a guy for me to keep yanking your chain. You'd hit me and I'd crumple like a potato chip..I'm done teasing. Really.

I'm glad we got to see each other face to face. And Hell yeah I'm glad too that they let us go...I heard that they were fining guys 1100.00 for exhibition just by doing burn outs or first gear launches at intersections.

I think we'd still be in jail if they cited us for drag racing, and you and I would be trying to figure out how we were gonna get the cars out of impound.

Well I know I won't have a turbo by next year so the only difference would be that the car would be tuned better. And I don't think you'd get under my skin enough for me to want to hit you. I'm a firefighter so my skin is thicker than leather. I'd just want a rematch. :cool:

And yes we would probably be more worried about how we'd get our cars out of impound before we made bail. :D:eek:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Nice video report! I'm glad that for the most part, the Monster behaved himself and got you to and fro successfully! Now with that out of the way and his reliability noted you can start to redo stuff.

:spot:

The Gila Monster is a real live monster now. Now you won't have to worry about those little spurts on the highway to get to local meets. I like the idea of brake cooling ducts for the rear brakes... you may need them if you keep racing around like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Well business as usual..
IMAG0178_zpskwiewlkp.jpg

IMAG0179_zpsh6ebkoya.jpg

IMAG0180_zpsrevd1wac.jpg

This is what I did today.

Why you might ask? Well the main reason was that the damn transmission leaks. It leaks badly out of the tail shaft, but there is also an engine oil leak at the rear..I don't know if the head gasket area there isn't sealing, and it's trickling down into the bell housing, or if one of the oil galley plugs is leaking..all I know is that it's leaking, and I'm tired of it. The tail of the car was coated in a mist of transmission fluid from the drive and the floor at the tail shaft looks like an environmental disaster.

This was the worst engine removal I've ever tried..because I had to take out the engine and transmission together. I simply cannot get to those top two bell housing bolts when the head is on, and I'm not taking the engine apart.
The good thing that come from this is that the transmission pan was flawlessly clean. No sign of clutch material in the pan, or metal on the magnet...the transmission is perfect.
The Chinee turbo looks and checks out like new..I'm saying win on the Rev9 Chinee turbo decision.

The oil filter came out perfect as well..the drain plugs had a tiny amount of sludge on them that I'll say is normal...everything is good. Now all I gotta do is stop the damn oil from blowing out/ leaking out of every thing. I know that it's a sign of too much crankcase pressure, and maybe too much oil pressure as well.
It frustrates the piss outta me that I cannot keep it sealed..I've tried vent breathers, catch cans, and now a oil/water seperator that's both tied into the intake with a PCV valve, and an electric vacuum pump to assist when the engine is in boost.

The engine makes too much water vapor,..and the water is clogging up the lines...Stupid junk.

I'm gonna return the thing back to just valve cover breathers, and I'm gonna ditch all of the crazy lines running all over the place.
And...
I'm gonna have to cut the firewall to allow access to those damn top two bell housing bolts..Not sure exactly how I'm gonna go about that just yet, and how extensive that's gonna be,..I just know that as hard as it was to get that long pig out of the car, it'd be impossible to try and stick it back in bolted together as a unit..unless I drop the K member.

And I may do just that.

So,..you can say the Monster is in hibernation.. And while he sleeps, these are what I intend to do/change during that time.

Fix the tail shaft leak...( I don't know why it was leaking..the seal was fine, and the yoke isn't scored.)
I'm upgrading the ecu to MS 3x.
I'm installing the Corbeau seats.
I'm having the rest of the hot side, and the turbine housing coated, and getting rid of the wrapped parts. ( unless the turbine housing will still need a blanket)..if the thing still needs a blanket after I have it coated...seems kinda stupid to do that.
I've got to do something to check the accuracy of my two water temp sensors..I do not know which one is accurate.
I'm getting rid of the rear mounted radiators..I have no clue what I'm supposed to do with the trunk now that there is a hole there..( unless I repurpose the rear shroud as some sort of cooling system for the amps that would drive two additional 12" woofers, so I can set them to 20hz, and rattle my guts out listening to Personal Jesus by Depechemode)
I'm keeping the wheels for now..I saw a set of those wheels I linked earlier on another car at the cruise and hated them. that means every car I've seen those wheels on I've hated them...Nuff said. I'm gonna hold off till I find something I really like.

So that about wraps things up..I'm filthy as all three pigs..and more broken than Humpty Dumpty...I need a hot shower.

Reactions: 5 users
I can't see oil pressure being a problem.... oil flow... maybe. It would only affect the engine vapor if it's accumulating too much under the valve covers.... meaning the drain back holes aren't big enough.

I wasn't expecting this either.... but it's in my plans with mine. As soon as it's running good it's all coming apart.... well... engine and transmission are coming out.

Edit...stupid phone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.