Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

I prefer shifting the transmission, and it works flawlessly. Taking that manual interaction out of the picture makes the car soul-less. The only thing I don't like is the ratchet shifter sometimes.( especially when trying to do a 3 point type backing maneuver)
I may look into converting that thing over if I can use my cut-down shifter handle on something else.
I've put two different warning lights in place of the switches on the dash that used to control the rear rads, and rear water pump for the old I/C setup. They will confirm that I've switched on either O/D, L/U, or both.
After having it and forgetting that I've switched them on hasn't proven to be catastrophic....the cars just acts like its a pig. I flip the switches off, and I'm back in business.
As far as I'm concerned, this is a 5 speed trans. There is significant rpm drop when I switch OD on, and again when I lock up the converter. Since the car already shows me a 2200 RPM cruise at 70-75, IDK what benefit I'd get from a 5R55 compared to what I've got. Other than it forces me to go to an electronic controller.

I get the big paycheck on the 15th. I'll almost assuredly buy the touchscreen head unit, and a set of 6x9's to go back where the LJK sits...I'll have to rewire the speakers, and put the door speakers on the internal amp in the head unit. The amp that is currently in the car is only a 3 channel piece, and with the door speakers rewired to the h/u, the new 6x9's will get the benefit of the LJK's ample singing power.

I have the tails almost ready for prime time....maybe today, definitely tomorrow I'll post a pic. Despite the fact that one side stands off a little more than the other, nobody will notice.. Especially since the whole recessed area will be black. It does accomplish what I wanted,...a tail light that was on a Mercury Comet is now on the tail of the Monster. ( despite being radically altered to fit). Making it a total win will be if I can convert the current sequential circuit that controlled the old Shelby tails over, and make these things do that.

Reactions: 1 user
Well it's far from done, but with some luck tomorrow, I may have it close enough to prime.

IMAG0279_zpszynipvnv.jpg

Missing is what I'm doing for the center...just like the previous version, the cyclone center section will be reused, but will be on a backer plate and be much longer. The lights are staggered, so if you think they look crooked, that would be why.
IMAG0282_zps5b8snzl3.jpg

The collateral carnage...
IMAG0281_zpsa8fwrazq.jpg

The bumper will have to be removed and repainted,..obviously, I'll have to do something similar with the doink that is on the right bumper extension. I don't quite know how to go about that though.
IMAG0280_zpswgatfq4a.jpg

The good wheel.....the other is loosely bolted to the passenger side...the rear studs are too long as well....ill have to cut them down just like I did with the fronts.

While I was down there, I think..( like I always do).And like I always do, I change my mind.....often.
I think to myself,..." Rather than spend a thousand dollars on replacing a radio that works fine, a shifter that works fine, and add to an audio system that I rarely listen to...would it not make sense to spend that money paying dude to prep, and paint the replacement hood, and trunk deck?"

On the other hand I think...." You know that you can do this...and two panels that I can lay flat and paint can't be that bad,.........can it?"

I wish there was a easier way to remove the 40 year old blue paint...but the fact is there isn't. It's the stripping part that I hate almost as bad as the body work...( I said almost) The existing hood, trunk, fenders, and doors on the Monster were soda blasted...Maybe I'll do that to these two panels as well.

Then I can buy the head unit, the shifter, and the two rear speakers...:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
I'd say to run a swath of black across the top of the rear bumper onto the extensions. You could grab a piece of matt or semi gloss black vinyl to test the look. I assume the tail light panel will have black in it too. ( then again...don't use the vinyl...it might lift more of the paint )

I'm digging the tail lights. Seems like you're playing with more black to break up the orange a little bit. If you went black back there you wouldn't have to blend it....just thinking....with no alcohol...so....

So far so good man. Looks very unique. Personally, I would move the spoiler further back on the new trunk, but maybe from a side view it lines up with the back of the trunk?
The back edge of the spoiler is even with the rear deck.

It's a look. You just gotta get used to it.

In actuality, I'm not a big fan of that wing spoiler ....on anything. But it needs to be on a car when you're trying to emulate a "vibe".

Especially when the name of the car has that word in it.

I'd say to run a swath of black across the top of the rear bumper onto the extensions. You could grab a piece of matt or semi gloss black vinyl to test the look. I assume the tail light panel will have black in it too. ( then again...don't use the vinyl...it might lift more of the paint )

I'm digging the tail lights. Seems like you're playing with more black to break up the orange a little bit. If you went black back there you wouldn't have to blend it....just thinking....with no alcohol...so....

The car always looked long and low to me...I don't like that. I was hoping I can visually "shorten" the thing...
Like this:
hurricane_zps1586ffd7.jpg

Vs this:
2995D1CD-3703-4A29-8AAD-C827FA3ECC11_zpsdvaebuqm.jpg

The stripe cuts up the long look, the fact that I'm gonna paint the splitter body color will balance out the long rear overhang.
The shiny wheels, a completely orange hood, and the rear wing, which I'll either paint black or orange depending on the overall look I'm going for.

The wheels alone will make a big difference in my opinion. The body colored lip always seemed a little “too much” to me. I vote for black spoiler and leaving the front valance black to balance it. I think painting those orange will maintain the “long” look you are trying to get away from.

• Agree
The black splitter "disappeared" because it was black, and under the front bumper..orange will make it stand out. The wing may stay black, I'll make that call when I get the thing on its tires, and rolled out so I can see the whole car from the side.

You must be doing body work
Yeah,....the hood and trunk need some TLC before I could just turn it over to anybody anyway. They both have to have their fitment checked and tweeked accordingly before any finish bodywork could be started on by some other guy. I'm the only one who's gonna do that.
The hood has a small dent, but it's creased along the front leading edge...ill have to deal with that. I'm getting rid of the factory latch and safety catch, and cutting big assed holes for the Aerocatch hood pins instead. I'll have to deal with that too. The trunk has some weird wonkiness with the lip that seals the skin to the frame, and some rust. I'll have to deal with that. And because of a decision to cut and modify the factory shape of the rear trunk lines,..I have some welding to do.
I made the choice last night to do that when I ordered the head unit and rear speakers.
I'll further commit myself in a couple of minutes when I order the shifter.

Status
Not open for further replies.