Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Any progress on the car?
There is, albeit indirectly related.

I'm anticipating paint work. I cannot paint in the garage the way it is. The space the monster lives in is open to the man cave part of the basement. For a year now, I've been reluctant to partition that space back off and hide the car behind it. But I have to.

What to use for a wall has been the sticking point. I thought about some sort of accordion wall divider like they use to section off spaces in class rooms, but.....too much money.
Glass paneled overhead garage doors....too low of a ceiling down there and.....too much money.
Standard Sheetrock on wood....muddling Sheetrock,....sanding Sheetrock, muddling Sheetrock,...sanding Sheetrock :nono:.
Some sort of sliding barn door style panels....a curtain,...nothing appealed to me,...I didn't want to hide the car, and make it hard for the heat and a/c that's down in the man cave to heat/cool the garage part.

I gave in....

I put a standard door opening frame, and a pre hung exterior door back in ( the exact same one I took out when I removed the wall 18 months ago). Only this time it was 6 feet further into the man cave than the previous wall was.

The man cave has WWII warbird art hanging around the room, with ford, and retro car stuff tied into the theme. Painted cement block walls, stained cement floor...kinda feels like it could be a hangar, or a waiting room in a repair shop. I had to stay true to that vibe. I coulda just went ahead and did the Sheetrock thing, but I'd have to kill myself, then have my ghost do that,....because the only way I'll do Sheetrock, would be over my dead body. ( then I'd have to work around that smelly dead thing lying down there too.)

So,.............I put a 2x2" matrix down there as a wall,...and put corrugated metal roofing up on that one "wall".

Serves to keep the hangar/shop vibe intact, minimized how deeply it hung into the man cave, (2" instead of 4). Didn't require any heavy assed Sheetrock, muddling or sanding...But....it hides what's behind it.

I'll be able to open the door, and blow hot/cool air in there as needed to try and keep it comfy in there, Conversely, in the dead of summer when I want the garage door open, I won't heat up the whole freakin basement, or when I bring the car back from a drive, the 200 degree engine won't either.

So,....that's what I've been doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So let’s see it! The man cave sounds cool. Can’t wait until I can build my garage next to my house. I have the space, just need the $.
It's a Sunday/Monday reveal at best...the frame is there,...and there's still stuff to do before the metal goes up, but it'll look good when it's done.

On Monday.

Reactions: 3 users
Seems I'm always up to something.

Looking in on Steves thread got me thinking about how I could do something similar, only use a different approach to displaying the tuner studio desktop.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about ( let's see....of the ten of you....that would be what?... Nobody?) STEVE has done what @stanglx2002 had done previously, and created a digital dash using a 39.00 project computer, and a 7" touch screen.

For me, I'd want it as a window into what was going on with the engine separate from the current gauge assortment. Allowing me to have a hard wired computer that I could access with a Bluetooth keyboard, and see on a screen that doubles as my entertainment/Nav/phone display interface. Unlike the other two guys that have to have all kinds of additional things going on because of how they're using it, I only need to see the stuff that Tuner Studio would ordinarily display on a computer monitor.

So,...the question comes up in my head....do I need this?

One one hand, having a touchscreen entertainment system in the monster would be cool. Right now, I only have this,...this weird little pioneer box in my dash that serves as my volume control, and offers me a choice of fm, or my phone as a listening source.

I'm a XM Sirius kinda guy...Android Auto would be a good thing, and having google maps on a 7" screen instead of my stupid HTC phone would be worth it alone. Couple to that being able to tune the car w/o a big assed laptop on board ...... Maybe I do.

Wanna be a french fry.

But,......It's gotta fit first...ill measure that tomorrow.

The rear wheels arrive here on Wed. American Racing is not high on my list of positive experiences. By the time they get here it'll be almost a month since finding them to be defective. Some customer service they have.

The wall should be significantly finished today. Even that had to be done over twice.

Looks like nothing has changed in 2019.

'

Reactions: 3 users
I like the idea of having a screen as well.

If I ever get to that stage I want a center touch screen as well.

Totally digital for everything, maybe figure out a way to do that with hvac too.

You’ll get it figured out eventually Mike. It’s in your head now, you can’t not do it now, lol.

Seems I'm always up to something.

Looking in on Steves thread got me thinking about how I could do something similar, only use a different approach to displaying the tuner studio desktop.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about ( let's see....of the ten of you....that would be what?... Nobody?) STEVE has done what @stanglx2002 had done previously, and created a digital dash using a 39.00 project computer, and a 7" touch screen.

For me, I'd want it as a window into what was going on with the engine separate from the current gauge assortment. Allowing me to have a hard wired computer that I could access with a Bluetooth keyboard, and see on a screen that doubles as my entertainment/Nav/phone display interface. Unlike the other two guys that have to have all kinds of additional things going on because of how they're using it, I only need to see the stuff that Tuner Studio would ordinarily display on a computer monitor.

So,...the question comes up in my head....do I need this?

One one hand, having a touchscreen entertainment system in the monster would be cool. Right now, I only have this,...this weird little pioneer box in my dash that serves as my volume control, and offers me a choice of fm, or my phone as a listening source.

I'm a XM Sirius kinda guy...Android Auto would be a good thing, and having google maps on a 7" screen instead of my stupid HTC phone would be worth it alone. Couple to that being able to tune the car w/o a big assed laptop on board ...... Maybe I do.

Wanna be a french fry.

But,......It's gotta fit first...ill measure that tomorrow.

The rear wheels arrive here on Wed. American Racing is not high on my list of positive experiences. By the time they get here it'll be almost a month since finding them to be defective. Some customer service they have.

The wall should be significantly finished today. Even that had to be done over twice.

Looks like nothing has changed in 2019.

'
Mike I just want to clarify that the Dash I installed in the car using a 7" screen is the same one @stanglx2002 used in his car, in fact I am helping with the R&D on this product at the moment. It is Kurtis brainchild I can only take credit for the setup and installation of the unit. Its not as simple as loading TS onto an RPI there is alot going on behind the scenes for the full dash display as it is currently implemented, the short load time and splash screen are very much custom coding along with auto startup of TS and the power supply is a custom design as well. To make TS run as quickly and smoothly as possible the custom code also strips all the background applications so they dont use up RAM. Its a genius design Kurtis has done very well.

Mike I just want to clarify that the Dash I installed in the car using a 7" screen is the same one @stanglx2002 used in his car, in fact I am helping with the R&D on this product at the moment. It is Kurtis brainchild I can only take credit for the setup and installation of the unit. Its not as simple as loading TS onto an RPI there is alot going on behind the scenes for the full dash display as it is currently implemented, the short load time and splash screen are very much custom coding along with auto startup of TS and the power supply is a custom design as well. To make TS run as quickly and smoothly as possible the custom code also strips all the background applications so they dont use up RAM. Its a genius design Kurtis has done very well.
that's what I was talking about when I said that you guys had a whole bunch of other stuff going on besides what I want to do.
I'm still on the fence anyway. The head unit will barely fit behind the dash, and even then will be jammed against the heater plenum. The pioneer cost is gonna be 500.00 by the time tax is added, and then there is the rpi's cost, and what I'd have to pay you, or Kurt for the necessary help to make that little rpi work. AND even after all of that......im kidding myself.

I'm not gonna program, or change programming on anything. Adding the rpi as a computer convolutes my ability to remotely program the ecu.

And I ain't doin Nothin that stops that from happening.

Well.
I built a wall.
Mexico didn't pay for it either.

It took two days to build the thing. It didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted it to, but it'll serve it's purpose.
IMAG0268_zps9hgjeevw.jpg

You can see that the Corbeaus are still waiting to get put in. I had to turn them over to keep the damn cats from sleeping on them. Also in the pic is The Passenger side stripe and the scoop that'll go on the new hood when the Monster becomes a full on Cyclone Spoiler. Kate gave me the picture of my car's front end, it's like a painting, and is actually on canvas. There are more pictures to hang, but I'm done with working today.
IMAG0269_zpsr4qldtv1.jpg

The backside will get some sort of peg board.

I still have to trim out the door opening, and free up a too-tight door fit....It's a steel door, so that'll be fun.

I bought an 80 cu-ft Argon bottle, and stuff to complete the TIG system today as well. Decided to hold off on the touch screen upgrade. The stupid TIG stuff to make the thing complete cost 350.00, so I'm done spending for a minute.

I asked for tomorrow off as well. I got kinda cheated out of my Monday off last week due to the fact that it was the end of the month, and they decreed that it was an "all hands on deck" end of the month. It worked out for me,..23 cars sold, Salesman of the month for the third month this year,....and (here's the good part)

A $13,000.00 paycheck.

• Winner
  • Loved It!
Reactions: 6 users
No better way to say it:........

Fck me!

Spent several hours laying in bed in the small hours of the morning going over how I might possibly take the existing sequencing circuit with the Shelby tails, and convert it over to the new/old Comet tails.

I got up, googled the question, and decided to plunge forward...The sequencing timer/controller already in place, I figured all I needed to do was replace incandescent bulbs with LED units.

Instead of having three sequencing sections, I'd only have the two, but that would be better than nothing. Missing from the equation was 4 white 1157 style bulbs, and the pigtail sockets to try and make this work.

So,............This was the plan for the day:

1. Buy that stuff.
2. While I was out buying that stuff, buy the panel bond adhesive to stick the tail light panel to the existing, old remaining tail light panel.
3. While I was out buying that stuff, drop off the old Cyclone aluminum center section, and have them shear 1.5" off of that thing to make it work with the new theme.

Firstly, it takes several stops to find the pigtails.....what I ended up with were (4) Standard brand pigtails spec'd to fit 69-77 Chev Nova. Next, (4) 1157 LED bulbs ( thinking that this is a must, considering the existing Shelby tail light panel is made up of LEDs)

4 bulbs, and four sockets end up costing me 70 bucks..........LED bulbs are expensive.

While I was downtown. I go to one of my old metal shops that I've frequented in the past to have the center section cut down. It's 11:20 AM. When I go in, all six crotchedies that work there are sitting in a circle in the main shop sleeping off the remainder of their lunch breaks. I'm told that they'll get to it in ten minutes or so.

I leave it with them.

I go to the paint supplier to buy the PBA so that I can stick the aluminum tail light panel on the back of the monster.
They sell me a version of that stuff that comes in two tubes...( so I won't have to buy that freakin expensive gun to squeeze the junk out). I buy that, and some other stuff....80 more bucks.

I go back to the tin shop and pick up my cut down piece... He charges me nothing....I love the south...talk nice to these guys, and they'll do you all kinds of favors for free.

I'm home, and start in earnest prepping the tail ligh panel so I can stick it to the Monster. The guy at the paint shop said this stuff had a 10 min work time. I mix up a generous batch of the PBA, and start applying it to the panel............it ain't enough.
I dash into the garage, blob another batch together, and continue to smear it on the panel.......it ain't enough.
Now I scramble into the garage, and gorilla grip the two tubes, squeezing each one in each hand...the white goop tube blows open on the big end, and starts googing out that end, and all over my hand. The pink goop tube works flawlessly . I scrape the excess white goop onto the mixing board, hurrying like a madman to get another batch mixed before the rest starts to set up.

I add the remaining stuff to the panel and stick it on the back of my car.

The first part of the panel has already started to cure.

It hasn't been 10 minutes.

I apply the clamps that I have set up before in the vain hope that there is still enough "wet" adhesive to hold the two pieces together...it's not squishing at the same "crush" that the wet side is,..but it sticks nonetheless.

And after 20 more minutes.... That sht is stuck.

So here we are....I've made a disaster of a mess on the tail of my car....one side stands off a little farther out than the other side.
The only way to tell how "stuck" it is, is to try and pull it apart. If it comes apart, I'm phcked...if it sticks, it's wrong.

You'd have to walk in my shoes to know what it's like to be me....You'd have a headache from cussing yourself now.

• Neat
Reactions: 1 users
Captains' log Stardate.......

It's Wednesday. The wheels are gonna get here today. I think that not having them has been my excuse to drag ass on getting the car back together,......its either that, or having to deal with the bodywork that will come with the new tail light panel, the new trunk, and hood...
:thinking:

No,..it's definitely the bodywork. How anybody can do that as a job on a car they don't care about that belongs to somebody else is mind boggling. I can't stand even thinking about it, and I love this car.

MOF, I can't stand it so much, I'm thinking about farming out the hood and trunk to a guy that works in the detail shop.

But my loathing for paint and bodywork is pricey...Dude tells me that it will cost 1000.00 for the two panels .....at least.

The tail light panel has caused some.........." Collateral damage". The aluminum panel popped off the back of the car while I was test fitting it and tore a 3" chip out of the crown on the back bumper, and out a 1/2" round chip on the passenger side rear bumper extension where the damn thing landed after it popped off.

The Bumper would just be another piece I can remove and paint, but that chip.....Now I gotta learn how to blend paint.

Ha! #1. Is starting to make money working as a BMW tech..He wants me to look at appraising his Jeep so he can determine if he'll break even so he can buy a new........
SRT8 Challenger.
( he's mentoring under a guy that has a Hellcat...it was only a matter of time)

I don't think it's a good idea, he drives like an idiot in the jeep he has now. put 425 hp into the mix, and there's a ticket(s) or a wreck in his future.

Status
Not open for further replies.