Status
Not open for further replies.
In this picture Mike. Is there going to be one more weld near the bend? It looks like you have it marked up for that. If not, how will you make that joint stay sealed?
I can use MIG and Stick, but TIG is still above my talents, Yours look professional to what my attempt would be like.
The unfinished weld joint is there because I wanted to consider whether or not I’d be able to get the whole thing in/out. I’m considering a v band clamp there.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

In this picture Mike. Is there going to be one more weld near the bend? It looks like you have it marked up for that. If not, how will you make that joint stay sealed?
I can use MIG and Stick, but TIG is still above my talents, Yours look professional to what my attempt would be like.
pay attention kid, that is where the v band discussion is.

Well :poo: now I have to google a V-Band

SUM-694225_ml.jpg
ok Now I'm good

• Haha
I like the vband idea quite a bit myself Mike. Do away with as many of the rubber links as you can, this project should be the one you really love to open the hood on.
There’ll still be a silicone 3”-4” adapter at the throttle body. Right now, I’m just holding the thing in place with some part of an air cleaner base so I can mock the fitment. The dilemma is that the piece of steel has to be twisted and contorted into place as it is w/o that last piece welded on. I’m afraid that I won’t even be able to do that if I make the thing all one piece.

I don’t think I could get it back out if I make it one piece. I really prefer that it is though.
This is another do it 3 times if you weld it in place and no simple unbolt it and slide the coupler out of the way. Don't have one of those "What was I thinking when I did this moments"

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
This is another do it 3 times if you weld it in place and no simple unbolt it and slide the coupler out of the way. Don't have one of those "What was I thinking when I did this moments"
I think I’ll be able to slide the 3”-4” adapter off the TB, and back up onto the tube. I don’t think I’ll be able to twist it out though.
ive decided to tack the thing together, and see....I’m done speculatin’

Reactions: 2 users
I really didn’t spend too much time on the car today..I did get to weld up the charge tube...it kinda fits, provided you take the throttle body off first.
IMAG0472_zpsm5vx6wbj.jpg

IMAG0473_zps3s1nlcml.jpg

When it comes time to put the intake on permanently, I’ll have to slide the adapter up onto the tube, install the TB, and then slide it back into place.. Hopefully.

I got the new trans mount close to being done..
IMAG0474_zpsmzfcrjrz.jpg

The next time I’m down there, I’ll drag the welder out so that I can tack the thing onto the mount tubes,..and finish weld the thing.
All that’s left of the original “put it back on the ground“ list is to put the exhaust into place, finish fabbing up the down pipe and get it to mate up. The water lines are ran, I’ll have to get the trans lines installed, and put the bumper and fender back on.

Reactions: 4 users
And just from looking at the pics....it bugs me. Despite the fact that the welds aren’t thick, they aren’t good enough to leave exposed. ( Kinda like having on clean underwear, but with holes in them) the choice to make it shiny was bad, I prefer satin, and ....even though it can go in if you twist and turn it, and remove the TB,.....I know that I’m gonna hate that someday. It’s getting a V Band.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
I have a satin coated, v-band sporting version of the charge tube painted in satin black drying as I write this. This will mark week 1 of me being on furlough...( Even though it won’t be one full week till I get to Wednesday.)
It seems like twice that.

On one hand, the car is coming together like mad....on the other,............I’d gladly trade it taking 5 years to finish it to have things back to the way they were before. :nonono:

There is now Sooo much time to work on the car, I actually tell myself “ I’ll deal with that tomorrow “.
And Here’s the really weird part.......on a Monday morning.........I‘ll be able to deal with it.

One more check mark towards getting the thing off of the jack stands..
IMAG0479_zpsfj6xquhk.jpg

The mount is made.
The trans is wired, the shifter cable is hooked up again.
IMAG0480_zpsj0ssuwei.jpg

the old pass-thru in the firewall is plated, and the heater hose is tight.
( Now I gotta make a new hole somewhere else for those wires to come back through.)
The cold side is complete, currently waiting on stuff from Summit to allow me to finish it all up ( There’s a box from them on the front porch as I write this)
IMAG0475_zpsaitnrct6.jpg

IMAG0476_zpsi5yrlqn3.jpg

That box has a silicone 90, and 3 t-bolt clamps.
this is the new and improved charge tube, now sporting the v-band...
IMAG0477_zpsq2n0rltv.jpg

much better.

Tomorrow, I’ll put the exhaust back in place, and try to get the down pipe completed. If I can do that, I’ll paint that bitch, and while the paint is drying,...install the trans lines and the dipstick tube.

Im thinking this monster is too monstrous for me.

* fcking photobucket..now they’re putting a watermark on the pictures,....just wait till tomorrow when I email that ass...

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
One more check mark towards getting the thing off of the jack stands..
IMAG0479_zpsfj6xquhk.jpg

The mount is made.
The trans is wired, the shifter cable is hooked up again.
IMAG0480_zpsj0ssuwei.jpg

the old pass-thru in the firewall is plated, and the heater hose is tight.
( Now I gotta make a new hole somewhere else for those wires to come back through.)
The cold side is complete, currently waiting on stuff from Summit to allow me to finish it all up ( There’s a box from them on the front porch as I write this)
IMAG0475_zpsaitnrct6.jpg

IMAG0476_zpsi5yrlqn3.jpg

That box has a silicone 90, and 3 t-bolt clamps.
this is the new and improved charge tube, now sporting the v-band...
IMAG0477_zpsq2n0rltv.jpg

much better.

Tomorrow, I’ll put the exhaust back in place, and try to get the down pipe completed. If I can do that, I’ll paint that bitch, and while the paint is drying,...install the trans lines and the dipstick tube.

Im thinking this monster is too monstrous for me.

* fcking photobucket..now they’re putting a watermark on the pictures,....just wait till tomorrow when I email that ass...
Photobucket sucks.

Noobz had a whole rant on it a year or two ago after they ruined it completely.

Stangnet hosts images. Just upload them directly to the thread.
I’m aware of that, Ive used it before. The issue usually is that the pics are on my phone, and I’m updating the thread from an iPad or pc. That, and the 5 image per post thing have always made it easier to use a 3rd party hosing service. The watermark is supposed to be small, and in the corner, not covering the entire freakin image. As many pictures as there are in that account they want to charge me like 12.00 a month to store them there.
On one hand I get it. They are a hosting service. They can’t do this for free. But one day it was .99 a month, the next day it’s 12 bucks.
The problem with moving the images to a cloud based storage option will be the devastation it causes to a web based forum like the one here. Just as soon as I start moving those pics, every pic in this thread will just disappear.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.