Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably could have had b for that price if you didn't rebuild the block, but no 'wow' factor.
Just 'oh, another one of those'.
My choice would have been the SOHC 6.2 V8 that is an option for some Ford trucks. Cast iron block, stock aluminum heads and a nice auto trans as part of the package. Poke & stoke it and you could have 427 cu in or more and an engine with 500 HP at 6000 RPM all day long with no reliability problems.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine for more info

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I leave tomorrow for another fun filled weekend of staring at ocean water. Only this time it’ll be an actual “ Ocean” instead of a gulf.
We‘re going to Amelia Island in the southern most tip of Georgia...Google maps say 6 hours drive time I think.
After looking around, it looks like we’re going there for food, and drink..a couple of sightseeing diversions, and maybe a laughable attempt at playin 9 holes of golf.

It’s ironic:

Back in the late 80’s, I got my first “good job” working as a manufacturer’s rep for JVC of America. I was a territory sales rep for Alabama, and the panhandle of Florida. In the early 90’s after having been there a few years, I was required to attend the very first CEDIA expo...( kinda like a C.E.S expo, but focused on custom home audio/video installation) This first show was being held at a resort in North Florida/South Georgia in none other than...Amelia Island.

As a footnote to that,..when I took the Job, my then Regional manager told me that I need to get a set of clubs, and learn “the game“.
I got the clubs,....I never learned the game.
Most of the dealers I called on however, played, and being able to treat them to a round of golf was an acceptable expense...Right along with the booze that came with it.

It was my mission then,..to pay for the golf, play badly, and drink...( I got very good at the latter).

In all of the time I tried to learn to play the game, and after taking private lessons, and spending a lot of time with a particularly tolerant customer in Auburn Alabama hell bent on teaching me, ....I managed to be able to break 100 routinely on the easier, more forgiving courses. I had seccumbed to the standard that all sht golfers succumb to.....“ You’d be sooo much better at this game if you had....” Before long, ( because I so needed to get better) had 500.00 dollar golf clubs,..a double throw down putter, and a driver sooo big..a blind guy could hit a ball with it.

And with all of this tech on my side...

Was now “Good enough“ to be tolerated by the scratch golfers I was “ entertaining” in the name of business.

Now that i’ve been doing this for a year or so, I find myself in Amelia Island entertaining a customer I’d routinely visit while in Fort Walton...He was interested in starting a business catered to the custom home installation industry,..and here I was, The guy from JVC, working the show, and who better to hand the tab to for 18 holes at one of the most expensive public golf courses on the east coast?

So we play...

This course is different than any of the other ones I’ve played/learned on.....grass is growing in sand. There are tons of water obstacles..all with something i’ve never seen before....Signs that read... “ If you value your hand more than that ball, you’ll be better off leaving it and taking the penalty”

There were creatures in the water that would just love you to stick your hand in that water,......so they could bite that fcker right the fck off.

So now,...as bad as I was on a regular golf course...if I sliced/hooked a drive into another fairway, or woods ..there was always the slight chance that I could find that ball, and play through,..even though it was way the Hell off the beaten path...But now, at the Amelia Island Links course,......if I sliced, or hooked, or hacked a ball,...it almost ended up going straight into some marshy sht....and I’d have to leave it for fear of losing my entire hand, despite the fact that I could see the ball....that had sunk to the bottom of yet another of the 50 bagillion water obstacles this course had.

It was right there........At hole 13...having lost a dozen balls to get there.

Hole 13.....a 100 yard par 3....At any other “normal” golf course...I may have actually hit the green, and have a prayer of making par, or 1 over....

But here...At the Amelia Island Links course,..where amphibious carnivores are just waiting on your stupid ass to make a mistake,..there is a watery, marshy pond thing between me, and the green, 100 yards away. with a wall of Cat-tails adding to the “ You ain’t gettin here from there” vibe.

By now ..The client, and I are both in the bag.....we’re at the par 3, 13th hole....He let’s me hit first.
I Size up the hole,...I get a pitching wedge,....I do the foot wiggle/ ass wiggle thing.....I look up at the flag...I look down at the ball. I take a breath,.........and draw that club back,.....and swing.

I Completely miss the ball.

I dig a gigantic trench right next to the ball, which adds insult to injury by rolling into that trench,..now daring me to try to dig it back out on my next swing.

My client is roaring with laughter.

Instead, I slam the club down “ I’m so fckin Done with this stupid fckin game!“ I yelled.“ Matter of fact I‘m so done, I’m not playing through, And when I get back home, I’m selling those stupid expensive Yonex Clubs to the first mother fcker. that comes along and offers me 1 fckin dollar for these pieces of sht!“ Which only make the guy I’m with laugh that much harder,..( which pisses me off even more)
“ Come on,..pick the ball up, up and drop it, we still got 5 holes to go” the guy says,..wiping the tears out of his eyes from laughing.
’“You think I’m kidding here? Mark my words here,...not only will I not finish the last 5 holes here, I’m done with this stupid assed game for good”.

And to consummate my declaration ,....I drank, while he played the remaining 5 holes.... and followed through,....Never to play that dumb assed game ever again.

Until 30 years later,...I have since purchased a set of sporting goods store clubs that have so much dust on them, they are almost embarrasing to take with us..

But I will.

Maybe I’ll go back to that course.....Maybe I’ll hit a ball into one of the water obstacles on purpose...
Maybe I’ll go to the waters edge and wait-n-see if some alligator or snapping turtle swims by,.
Then I’ll get out my pitching wedge and beat that fcking thing to death.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
My choice would have been the SOHC 6.2 V8 that is an option for some Ford trucks. Cast iron block, stock aluminum heads and a nice auto trans as part of the package. Poke & stoke it and you could have 427 cu in or more and an engine with 500 HP at 6000 RPM all day long with no reliability problems.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine for more info
And i’ve said it before Joe,...That is one ugly sonofabitch. It isn’t about simple with me,...it’s about how it looks when you lift the hood. If all I wanted was some solution to putting a reliable engine in the car that could make reliable, decent power,...i’d have some windsor under the hood.

Then go have half of my brain removed so I wouldn't ever have to consider doing anything different. Ever again..
except sht myself, and slobber.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I leave tomorrow for another fun filled weekend of staring at ocean water. Only this time it’ll be an actual “ Ocean” instead of a gulf.
We‘re going to Amelia Island in the southern most tip of Georgia...Google maps say 6 hours drive time I think.
After looking around, it looks like we’re going there for food, and drink..a couple of sightseeing diversions, and maybe a laughable attempt at playin 9 holes of golf.

It’s ironic:

Back in the late 80’s, I got my first “good job” working as a manufacturer’s rep for JVC of America. I was a territory sales rep for Alabama, and the panhandle of Florida. In the early 90’s after having been there a few years, I was required to attend the very first CEDIA expo...( kinda like a C.E.S expo, but focused on custom home audio/video installation) This first show was being held at a resort in North Florida/South Georgia in none other than...Amelia Island.

As a footnote to that,..when I took the Job, my then Regional manager told me that I need to get a set of clubs, and learn “the game“.
I got the clubs,....I never learned the game.
Most of the dealers I called on however, played, and being able to treat them to a round of golf was an acceptable expense...Right along with the booze that came with it.

It was my mission then,..to pay for the golf, play badly, and drink...( I got very good at the latter).

In all of the time I tried to learn to play the game, and after taking private lessons, and spending a lot of time with a particularly tolerant customer in Auburn Alabama hell bent on teaching me, ....I managed to be able to break 100 routinely on the easier, more forgiving courses. I had seccumbed to the standard that all sht golfers succumb to.....“ You’d be sooo much better at this game if you had....” Before long, ( because I so needed to get better) had 500.00 dollar golf clubs,..a double throw down putter, and a driver sooo big..a blind guy could hit a ball with it.

And with all of this tech on my side...

Was now “Good enough“ to be tolerated by the scratch golfers I was “ entertaining” in the name of business.

Now that i’ve been doing this for a year or so, I find myself in Amelia Island entertaining a customer I’d routinely visit while in Fort Walton...He was interested in starting a business catered to the custom home installation industry,..and here I was, The guy from JVC, working the show, and who better to hand the tab to for 18 holes at one of the most expensive public golf courses on the east coast?

So we play...

This course is different than any of the other ones I’ve played/learned on.....grass is growing in sand. There are tons of water obstacles..all with something i’ve never seen before....Signs that read... “ If you value your hand more than that ball, you’ll be better off leaving it and taking the penalty”

There were creatures in the water that would just love you to stick your hand in that water,......so they could bite that fcker right the fck off.

So now,...as bad as I was on a regular golf course...if I sliced/hooked a drive into another fairway, or woods ..there was always the slight chance that I could find that ball, and play through,..even though it was way the Hell off the beaten path...But now, at the Amelia Island Links course,......if I sliced, or hooked, or hacked a ball,...it almost ended up going straight into some marshy sht....and I’d have to leave it for fear of losing my entire hand, despite the fact that I could see the ball....that had sunk to the bottom of yet another of the 50 bagillion water obstacles this course had.

It was right there........At hole 13...having lost a dozen balls to get there.

Hole 13.....a 100 yard par 3....At any other “normal” golf course...I may have actually hit the green, and have a prayer of making par, or 1 over....

But here...At the Amelia Island Links course,..where amphibious carnivores are just waiting on your stupid ass to make a mistake,..there is a watery, marshy pond thing between me, and the green, 100 yards away. with a wall of Cat-tails adding to the “ You ain’t gettin here from there” vibe.

By now ..The client, and I are both in the bag.....we’re at the par 3, 13th hole....He let’s me hit first.
I Size up the hole,...I get a pitching wedge,....I do the foot wiggle/ ass wiggle thing.....I look up at the flag...I look down at the ball. I take a breath,.........and draw that club back,.....and swing.

I Completely miss the ball.

I dig a gigantic trench right next to the ball, which adds insult to injury by rolling into that trench,..now daring me to try to dig it back out on my next swing.

My client is roaring with laughter.

Instead, I slam the club down “ I’m so fckin Done with this stupid fckin game!“ I yelled.“ Matter of fact I‘m so done, I’m not playing through, And when I get back home, I’m selling those stupid expensive Yonex Clubs to the first mother fcker. that comes along and offers me 1 fckin dollar for these pieces of sht!“ Which only make the guy I’m with laugh that much harder,..( which pisses me off even more)
“ Come on,..pick the ball up, up and drop it, we still got 5 holes to go” the guy says,..wiping the tears out of his eyes from laughing.
’“You think I’m kidding here? Mark my words here,...not only will I not finish the last 5 holes here, I’m done with this stupid assed game for good”.

And to consummate my declaration ,....I drank, while he played the remaining 5 holes.... and followed through,....Never to play that dumb assed game ever again.

Until 30 years later,...I have since purchased a set of sporting goods store clubs that have so much dust on them, they are almost embarrasing to take with us..

But I will.

Maybe I’ll go back to that course.....Maybe I’ll hit a ball into one of the water obstacles on purpose...
Maybe I’ll go to the waters edge and wait-n-see if some alligator or snapping turtle swims by,.
Then I’ll get out my pitching wedge and beat that fcking thing to death.

That was the best read on here in a while, coming from someone who attempts to play 2, maybe 3 times a year. Those who I play with always tell me “you need to play more often” “you’ve got a good swing”...... blah blah blah......(I shoot low 100’s)
I guess I’d rather pour money into my Fox than shave 10 strokes off my game!

And i’ve said it before Joe,...That is one ugly sonofabitch. It isn’t about simple with me,...it’s about how it looks when you lift the hood. I all I wanted was some solution to putting a reliable engine in the car that could make reliable, decent power,...i’d have some windsor under the hood.

Then go have half of my brain removed so I wouldn't ever have to consider doing anything different. Ever again..
except sht myself, and slobber.
After all the custom fab you have done, making a custom easy on easy off engine cover to make the engine look pretty would not be that difficult. I have seen some of the work done by custom fab shops like Kindig IT on the Motor Trend cable TV channel and it is amazing.

After all the custom fab you have done, making a custom easy on easy off engine cover to make the engine look pretty would not be that difficult. I have seen some of the work done by custom fab shops like Kindig IT on the Motor Trend cable TV channel and it is amazing.
I’ve seen those shows as well sir. I see it this way,..If I have to cover up an engine to try and hide it because it can’t be made to look good because it’s a cluster of wires, connectors, and hoses, I’m not having one. As common as a windsor in a fox is, there is still a degree of individuality that can be added to the engine that doesn’t make it one more of the same damn thing.
( Albeit a slight difference,..and it too is a cluster of wires, connectors and hoses).
When buying this kit is as far as you can go to personalize your engine compartment..with different pieces of plastic....
1596717001406.jpeg

I’d hate to be the aftermarket for one of these engines.

Can you imagine an S 550 car show? ( and there are now row after row of them at any that you go to) Those guys may as well keep their hoods closed, because this is the new belly button. While a I’m at it, They may as well not bother with engine paint either...whose gonna see that rusted ass bitch under that stuff anyway?

*edit...I did find this..A swapped into a fox coyote transplant..
1596720137029.jpeg

wiring is there it appears, and no hoses yet...but that does look like a tubular k member down there..the aftermarket controller is mounted to the frame rail..I guess this is about as clean as it gets with one of these.

I love the engine I chose for this car more and more everyday.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I just stumbled on this thread. Amazing what some folks can accomplish through patience and dedication that I don’t have! From a unloved survivor to something very unique and killer fast. Bravo!

If I had more time and garage space, with the knowledge I’ve acquired on my Mustang, it’d be fun to find a Fox based wagon to mess with.

I just stumbled on this thread. Amazing what some folks can accomplish through patience and dedication that I don’t have! From a unloved survivor to something very unique and killer fast. Bravo!

If I had more time and garage space, with the knowledge I’ve acquired on my Mustang, it’d be fun to find a Fox based wagon to mess with.
Well... welcome to my garage. It’s not killer fast, considering it has no transmission,...but that’s changing.
Id consider a wagon too,..but as I’ve stated here elsewhere...it’d have two doors, and be commensurately about 12-15” shorter.
But that’s a project that‘ll never see the light of day in my garage..When I’m finally done changing sht with this one,..I’m done with this, and any other car project.
That may be a long time off though,...Hell,...It may be next year...depends on when/if I fall out of love with the thing I guess.

Well. I now know the difference between here on this coast, and there on that coast.

In the gulf of Mexico where Florida is the destination, from Panama City Fla. all the way west to Pensacola, the oppressive humidity is tempered by a constant light wind blowing off the water. Here on the eastern seaboard there is nothing even resembling a casual breeze........Just 90 degrees, and 90% humidity.

Its “paradise“. :nonono:

Knowing what I think about inactivity, lack of purpose, and no options to change that till Sunday morning, you can imagine my mental state now...:suicide:

* Note to self: Never do anything bad enough to get arrested, and put in jail.

Im watching out the window. The residents at this condo, going through their morning ritual, all streaming out to the beach dragging their coolers, umbrellas, and beach chairs so they can sit smack in the middle of it. Then Slather on the sunblock, plant the umbrella, plop down in the beach chair, grab a beer, and sit there......doing nothing for hours. Some of them never to even stick a toe into that water,..........that they are sitting 50’ in front of.

Numbs the mind.

The next time she mentions a weekend diversion...if the words beach/ocean/coast are part of the destination description..and she wants to know what I think.
i’m going to immediately set up my out of office reply.

When Hell freezes over,...then maybe.

Last edited:
Well. I now know the difference between here on this coast, and there on that coast.

In the gulf of Mexico where a Florida is the destination, from Panama City Fla. all the way west to Pensacola, the oppressive humidity is tempered by a constant light wind blowing off the water. Here on the eastern seaboard there is nothing even resembling a casual breeze........Just 90 degrees, and 90% humidity.

Its “paradise“. :nonono:

Knowing what I think about inactivity, lack of purpose, and no options to change that till Sunday morning, you can imagine my mental state now...:suicide:

* Note to self: Never do anything bad enough to get arrested, and put in jail.

Im watching out the window. The residents at this condo, going through their morning ritual, all streaming out to the beach dragging their coolers, umbrellas, and beach chairs so they can sit smack in the middle of it. Then Slather on the sunblock, plant the umbrella, plop down in the beach chair, grab a beer, and sit there......doing nothing for hours. Some of them never to even stick a toe into that water,..........that they are sitting 50’ in front of.

Numbs the mind.

The next time she mentions a weekend diversion...if the words beach/ocean/coast are part of the destination description..and she want to know what I think.
Im going to immediately set up my out of office reply.

When Hell freezes over,...then maybe.

I should have gone with you. We'd have blown the roof of that joint.

1596810319546.png

Attachments

• 1596810380516.png
    1596810380516.png
    227.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
It just so happened that I came across another Belly-Button build with a Coyote power plant :nonono:

View: https://youtu.be/WVJ-qQDvgLI?t=858

Nope, not quite..( Look in the lower left hand corner....13 letters with spaces in between)....anything “ hand built” automatically elevates it above belly button status...and besides.....When i’m talking about naval lint, i’m not talking about anything built before 1973.

* And say what you will about the Monster...after looking at that beautiful build, I kept seeing some of the things in that build that I have hacked out in my garage on both the current car, and the red one long ago, ( albeit very primitive on my part).
The front valance on the red car, the cooler shroud on the monster, the tucked bumpers,...the engine color, the G gills...
Its watching stuff like that that inspires me to take what I have and make it better..Like have an upholstery guy stitch those seats of mine in real leather...Add some scoops/diverters back to the G gills,..fix and re-kindle my original hood,...

Last edited:
Nope, not quite..( Look in the lower left hand corner....13 letters with spaces in between)....automatically elevates it above belly button status...and besides.....When i’m talking about naval lint, i’m not talking about anything built before 1973.

That video led to me this next video. I post this one because I think it's sharp:

View: https://youtu.be/fCy0bB5VhIo?t=660

I would love to sit on the beach with a beer and relax. When your 1000+ miles from such activity and the closest beach is generally sand and hepatitis you learn to enjoy doing nothing but watching the ocean and drinking a cold one.

I would love to sit on the beach with a beer and relax. When your 1000+ miles from such activity and the closest beach is generally sand and hepatitis you learn to enjoy doing nothing but watching the ocean and drinking a cold one.
That is solely dependent on your personality i guess. If i was 1000 miles away from the beach, id consider myself geo-fortunate.

That is solely dependent on your personality i guess. If i was 1000 miles away from the beach, id consider myself geo-fortunate.
Oh there are times I’m glad I don’t live close to the beach. The worst weather we generally get is 24” of snow overnight. Nbd since our dailies are a 4x4 but trust me after 4 months of your skin hurting just going to your truck only to freeze even more, sitting on a beach sounds amazing

Oh there are times I’m glad I don’t live close to the beach. The worst weather we generally get is 24” of snow overnight. Nbd since our dailies are a 4x4 but trust me after 4 months of your skin hurting just going to your truck only to freeze even more, sitting on a beach sounds amazing
There’s always moving to the south...I used to live in Omaha, before reality bitch slapped me into realizing that a midwest winter takes it’s toll on you.

Ok,...Maybe I was a little hasty in my judgement of this place. ( having passed judgement earlier from the balcony of my room)
B18AA93E-9880-434C-88A9-61E17E32DCCA.jpeg

The typical 4 pm storm is just rolling in..
For whatever reason, the balcony is stiflingly humid. Get out of the place, and the breeze I was talking about suddenly shows up.
It wasn’t that hot, and once you start taking in the sights...
It’s a pretty cool place.
Owned over the last 5 centuries by Spain, France, the US and the Confederacy, this place doesn’t feel like the redneck- riviera gulf coast, so named for the yeahoos that flock to that place from spring break on. There is a Ritz Carlton here,...The Omni resort is here...that freakin golf course is here...
Id say it has much more of an upscale “ Hilton Head” vibe instead. For me it’s the town,...and the scenery, with several 19th century houses perfectly restored in the downtown district surrounded by giant spanish oak trees, makes it different enough from the Panama City Scrub to please the eye.

Then theres the town itself...50 blocks of bars, restaurant, and shops...all covered in a canopy of those same trees.
20200807_152058.jpg

This is in the middle of one of the streets...

The takeaway here, is that between here and Savannah, Savannah wins for me..Since I could give a rats’ red bunion hole about that freakin‘ ocean, the scenery, restaraunts and bars win out every time. If however, you just have to get sand in your ass crack, Your freakin’ brain boiled, your skin baked, and wanna flop around in the water in Jaws backyard....

This place ain’t too bad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I found your next engine when you give up on Jayzee: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-jaguar-3-8-xk-engine/

Best part, is there is already a reason to open it up, which you will do anyway!
Buying that Jag engine will never happen...I’m on the path of righteousness..I can see the light at the end of the tunnel..There is nothing for the 3amd to wake me worrying about...There is nothing I’m worried about when putting a 3500 HD diesel transmission behind the engine, especially when using a properly machined adapter that use a stock pattern/ style converter that’s built to withstand 1000 hp.

And depending on how it looks/smells when i pull that pan..I may just leave it completely alone, save for the mods I have to make to the VB

Status
Not open for further replies.