Status
Not open for further replies.
BMW-N52.jpg

BMW N52: Because if you aren't leaking more oil than Deepwater Horizon, you're not :leghump:ing trying. Also known as the only engine I've ever heard of that will suck it's serpentine belt INTO the engine through the crank seal if you ignore the oil leaks long enough.

But damn is it ever smooth and powerful when it's running right.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

One more night...I’m like a kid on Christmas eve...I can’t wait till tomorrow.

The foods been great, This place is really nice, the sights are awesome, I with my soul mate. But I’m so fckin bored now, it’s a wonder I have any fingernails left. ( I wouldn’t, if I chewed them,..but I don’t. One more day here, and I might consider it though)
Tomorrow, if I can get her moving, we ( I) hope to be on the road by 9 at the latest. That’ll put me back home by 2-3 provided we don’t run into traffic.

Then it’ll be over....and I’ll be safe..for another 3 months.
Only the next beach trip will be to the Mississippi gulf coast...In the Monster,..In the first week of October. And the ocean will be a backdrop,..I doubt I’ll even see the freakin water.

The litmus test as to whether or not that’ll happen depends on how ape sht the virus flares after the Sturgis Biker rally...
If these yeahoos can have their big assed gathering without setting the virus flare ups off the chart,...maybe there’ll be hope that the thing I want to go to will still happen.

One more night...I’m like a kid on Christmas eve...I can’t wait till tomorrow.

The foods been great, This place is really nice, the sights are awesome, I with my soul mate. But I’m so fckin bored now, it’s a wonder I have any fingernails left. ( I wouldn’t, if I chewed them,..but I don’t. One more day here, and I might consider it though)
Tomorrow, if I can get her moving, we ( I) hope to be on the road by 9 at the latest. That’ll put me back home by 2-3 provided we don’t run into traffic.

Then it’ll be over....and I’ll be safe..for another 3 months.
Only the next beach trip will be to the Mississippi gulf coast...In the Monster,..In the first week of October. And the ocean will be a backdrop,..I doubt I’ll even see the freakin water.

The litmus test as to whether or not that’ll happen depends on how ape sht the virus flares after the Sturgis Biker rally...
If these yeahoos can have their big assed gathering without setting the virus flare ups off the chart,...maybe there’ll be hope that the thing I want to go to will still happen.

Im on Long Island.
While most people in the retail environment seem to be abiding by the mask rule.....in the social environment, most don’t seem to care. This has been the case for a while now, and yet we seem to be keeping the virus at bay with very low infection rates.
I hope that is the case for the rest of the region/ country as we go along! Need to get back to normal as we knew it!

Kate sounds like one of those people who can sit back and quiet the monkey mind - it allows her to relax on a beach and not be bored, and she recharges from doing it.

I think a lot of us haven't learned how to do that and our minds are always running. I can sit and do nothing but still always feel like I should be doing something, and my head is still working on something. You're WAY more driven to do it than I am, and I envy that.

I don't know where I"m going except you know you WANT to put a Jag engine in something. But not a stupid 6.You want a 12-cylinder.

Once this is running and not leaking or making weird sounds (well, weird sounds that are unexpected), what are you going to do?

Kate sounds like one of those people who can sit back and quiet the monkey mind - it allows her to relax on a beach and not be bored, and she recharges from doing it.

I think a lot of us haven't learned how to do that and our minds are always running. I can sit and do nothing but still always feel like I should be doing something, and my head is still working on something. You're WAY more driven to do it than I am, and I envy that.

I don't know where I"m going except you know you WANT to put a Jag engine in something. But not a stupid 6.You want a 12-cylinder.

Once this is running and not leaking or making weird sounds (well, weird sounds that are unexpected), what are you going to do?

He's going to rip it all out....sell it for pennies...and build another engine combo. Probably a Jaguar v12 with custom made spherical camshafts that rev to 14k.

Im on Long Island.
While most people in the retail environment seem to be abiding by the mask rule.....in the social environment, most don’t seem to care. This has been the case for a while now, and yet we seem to be keeping the virus at bay with very low infection rates.
I hope that is the case for the rest of the region/ country as we go along! Need to get back to normal as we knew it!
Amelia Island is florida. Florida didn’t have any mask rule the last time we were down here in june, but that was at Ft.walton beach. In FWB, nobody had a mask on while doing anything IIRC. ( Hell, it may still be that way IDK) I’ll call that young stupid, or just stupid Florida. Here, you don’t come into a place w/o having a mask that covers both your mouth, and your nose. The sign at the liquor store made sure of that. We got our foreheads scanned before we went on a “ 3 hour tour” of Cumberland island, and the boat was running at a little less than half capacity. Every shop, and every restaurant required it to walk in. Every retail store was enforcing it pretty seriously. But once inside a restaurant, you could remove the mask...in the confined space, you could drink bottle after bottle of wine, and blather on loudly about your 42’ Catalina, and how this marina was different than the one in the Hamptons..and do it loudly enough for the entire place to hear you...While you spewed Covid cooties all out yo mouth.

• Sad
I'm home. :banana:
*The banana represents how happy I am to make that statement.

After doing the necessary stuff to get the car unloaded, put the not so cold stuff back in the fridge, the dirty clothes in the laundry pile, and hang the clean ones back where they came from..I changed into some clothes that I didnt care if I got trans fluid on, and went into the garage

Spent an hour trying to get the studs cut to allow me to mount the trans to my engine stand. Once done,..I mounted it, not knowing if the bellhousing bolts would support the weight of the transmission hanging all out there an sht..
But it did..
Once confident that the transmission wasn't gonna just snap off and hit the floor, I spun it upside down and hit the pan bolts with my recently purchased HF 3/8" 20v li-ion cordless impact.
I love this thing.
Those pan bolts couldn't even say " What-tha" before that impact hammered all 14 bolts back out.
Then..I pull the pan...

AND..I don't have a clue what it tells me.

I don't know what burnt fluid vs fluid that never been changed smells like.
( I believe that trans fluid in later model transmissions is supposed to be "never changed" in 2007 and later vehicles)
The pan has no tell-tale funk in it, and the pan magnet only has black funk sticking to it.
I pry open the filter, and there is very little funk there too...just some small pieces of what look like gasket material..with no evidence of clutch or friction material...( at least what I think might be gasket material)

SO... whadya gonna do then?
The trans looks ok...it supposed to be a low mile unit...and I guess maybe it is?:shrug:

THE red dude on my shoulder says leave it the fck alone...while at the same time, The white dude wants to be sure its OK by taking it apart and inspecting the internals for heat/neglect...
Im so conflicted.

Last edited:
  • Useful
I'm home. :banana:
*The banana represents how happy I am to make that statement.

After doing the necessary stuff to get the car unloaded, put the not so cold stuff back in the fridge, the dirty clothes in the laundry pile, and hang the clean ones back where they came from..I changed into some clothes that I didnt care if I got trans fluid on, and went into the garage

Spent an hour trying to get the studs cut to allow me to mount the trans to my engine stand. Once done,..I mounted it, not knowing if the bellhousing bolts would support the weight of the transmission hanging all out there an sht..
But it did..
Once confident that the transmission wasn't gonna just snap off and hit the floor, I spun it upside down and hit the pan bolts with my recently purchased HF 3/8" 20v li-ion cordless impact.
I love this thing.
Those pan bolts couldn't even say " What-tha" before that impact hammered all 14 bolts back out.
Then..I pull the pan...

AND..I don't have a clue what it tells me.

I don't know what burnt fluid vs fluid that never been changed smells like.
( I believe that trans fluid in later model transmissions is supposed to be "never changed" in 2007 and later vehicles)
The pan has no tell-tale funk in it, and the pan magnet only has black funk sticking to it.
I pry open the filter, and there is very little funk there too...just some small pieces of what look like gasket material..with no evidence of clutch or friction material...( at least what I think might be gasket material)

SO... whadya gonna do then?
The trans looks ok...it supposed to be a low mile unit...and I guess maybe it is?:shrug:

THE red dude on my shoulder says leave it the fck alone...while at the same time, The white dude wants to be sure its OK by taking it apart and inspecting the internals for heat/neglect...
Im so conflicted.
Old Dexron fluid takes on kind of a "woody" smell. Burnt fluid smells burnt, it's pungent. Dexron also gets fairly dark from not being changed, but will still look reddish-to-maroon if smeared on paper towel. Burnt fluid will be damn near black.

Black crap on the pan magnet is 100% normal. Silver is what should worry you.

At this juncture, I’m gonna let the dog eat.

The last time I had a JY trans, ( the current 4r) and just “automatically“ decided to open it, and rebuilt the thing even though it showed no signs of needing it, I kept telling myself “I didn’t need to do this”. Every thing inside looked good, yet here I was,...in “Too late now town”, changing out a whole bunch of sht that didn’t need changing. This time around I’m hoping that the same conditions will prevail, cause at most, all i’m removing is the front pump.

The instructions in the Transgo kit focus mainly on the valve body, but there is a section labeled “ If the trans is apart” that directs you to modify a fluid passage in the front pump, and change out some springs in what looks to be maybe some part of the forward drum piston assy. Right now, I don’t know where in the trans that thing is for sure, but there are tons of videos out there on the 4l80e. It doesn’t look like rocket science.

• Hell Yeah!
I wouldn't take it apart and look now. Because where would be the posts when you put it in and it won't go in 1, 2, 3, 4, or R or it leaks, or something else the 3AMD is worried about makes you take it back out? At least it is supposed to fit on the new adapter right, so getting it in/out/in will be a piece o cake, right?

• Haha
I wouldn't take it apart and look now. Because where would be the posts when you put it in and it won't go in 1, 2, 3, 4, or R or it leaks, or something else the 3AMD is worried about makes you take it back out? At least it is supposed to fit on the new adapter right, so getting it in/out/in will be a piece o cake, right?
Go into the bathroom,...look in the mirror...smack the piss outta yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
This afternoon I removed the valve body..lifted that big assed valve body out of the transmission and put it into the pan, then removed the 8 check balls that every set of instructions tell you to remove, then tipped the pig over to dump the remaining fluid out of the trans.
This thing is so different from any other ford transmission i’ve ever disassembled. Part of the valve body is actually part of the transmission. it’s so weird.

But,...at the same time......it’s so freakin simple.

People are terrified of taking a trans apart....too much voodoo going on. It is actually about as clinical as any process can get. Remove this bolt, reach in and lift this doodad out....remove this snap ring, lift out that thingamajig...unbolt this doohickey, give it a twist,..then lift out that thingamadodger...

Whats all the hub-bub..... Bub?

I called Transgo now that the valve body is out. I asked new dude about whether or not I needed to open the trans further, and remove the sub-assemblies that the instructions tell me to remove?

He says that I don’t.....As long as I don’t rev the combo above 6k rpm...

Uhhhhhhhhh...Well,.....what if I’m gonna rev the combo to 7500?

Well then,... Dude says...you definitely need to remove the pump, and the forward drum assembly and perform those mods..unless you want to pull the transmission apart in the near future.

Fck no...Why?
Well the one mod to the pump keeps constant fluid pressure to the converter, and the other is to offset centrifugal force.
Turns out,..as the transmission is spun at high rpms,..centrifugal force tries to apply a clutch pack that’s not supposed to be applied....The stiffer springs you’re supposed to install keeps that from happening. This is a diesel transmission after all.....6k rpm is redline in diesel world.

So...while i’m drilling holes in my valve body separator plate,....puttin this spring here, ommiting that spring there....i’m pulling out the front pump,..and the forward clutch drum assembly.

but nothing else...I swear.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users
Mike, you wont mess this up. Do yo Thang.

I was totally wrong about your resolve to make this work. Toyotas are and have always been a living hell to service, and the whole time Toyota has meddled with the production line sixes from the iron M series Crown days, its just been a non Siamese bore kind of BMW M20/M21/M51/N54 thing. Just personally to me, a trumped up turd, a kind of over Engineered BMW 91 mm bore-spacing engine with 92 mm iron bore spacings .

Although I've done plenty of the these engines as Twin Cam four cylinders for my children and wife, the ToJo in line six just gets so much worse as its a 2.0 Tojo with another 33 and 1/3 rd % of different and extra specific mistakes, it gets bigger and more cylinders, its just designed for a tenacious Drill Sargent who wont be mastered by anything. Your that guy who was meant to have one!

However, I was wrong about how you'd respond to the challenge, and your making this thing really good. Rebuild that trans. And thrash it and Really Enjoy Yourself! Your beloved is gonna love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.