Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

For those who don’t ignore me...

BC cams wouldn’t let the excessive valve clearance slide. I was able to move shims around and almost get the intake cam completely gapped properly. But that left the exhaust cam needing almost every valve reshimmed....at 8.50 a shim.
So,...12 shims on the exhaust, and two on the intake plus a 10% slop factor in case I got one size wrong one way or the other added another 140.00 to this cam swap.

The converters gone,...on it’s way to Muscle Shoals for adaptation...that’ll probably be another 300-400.00.

In the grand scheme, it is what it is,...I’ve looked in on the guy’s thread whose trying to figure out a budget friendly Coyote swap, and he is every bit as expensive as where I am, before he even starts turning a wrench.
So, I’m in a much better mindset now that I know that I haven’t dumped anymore money in this thing than it would’ve been with something else.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users
For those who don’t ignore me...

BC cams wouldn’t let the excessive valve clearance slide. I was able to move shims around and almost get the intake cam completely gapped properly. But that left the exhaust cam needing almost every valve reshimmed....at 8.50 a shim.
So,...12 shims on the exhaust, and two on the intake plus a 10% slop factor in case I got one size wrong one way or the other added another 140.00 to this cam swap.

The converters gone,...on it’s way to Muscle Shoals for adaptation...that’ll probably be another 300-400.00.

In the grand scheme, it is what it is,...I’ve looked in on the guy’s thread whose trying to figure out a budget friendly Coyote swap, and he is every bit as expensive as where I am, before he even starts turning a wrench.
So, I’m in a much better mindset now that I know that I haven’t dumped anymore money in this thing than it would’ve been with something else.

Nope. The only thing cheaper is an LS swap. And even with that, when you get down to it, the little things will nickle and dime you to death. Evidenced many times in this thread alone. Shims, fittings, gaskets, wire, wire loom, shrink wrap, etc. For those that say, by now you could have gotten a Barra at this price....there's still all the little stuff. Plus, on a used engine, I'd want to dingle ball, rings, bearings, gaskets, at a minimum. So you're still jacking up the price.

You'd think going 2.3 would be cheaper since it's only got one cam and 4 pistons. Nope, that :poo: is getting really obscure now.

I'm glad I'm 50 and not 30. In 10-20 years, they'll burn your house for having a gasoline powered car. If there's still any gasoline to be found.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad I'm 50 and not 30. In 10-20 years, they'll burn your house for having a gasoline powered car. If there's still any gasoline to be found.
Well, I must be a 74 year old museum piece driving 31year on antique car as a daily driver. I don't know if I could afford a battery pack for a 225 HP electric car...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I use them to freshen up the cat box.
Tears of joy...Tears of joy

1593563771705.png

I have my $140.00 pile of metal discs that will allow me to properly clearance the cams.
But..
Last week, While talking to Brian Crower, and after telling him how that fck that redid the head ground the valve tips in an attempt to “save me“ from having to buy shims to clearance the cams,....BC’s concerns were that dumbmthfcker ground through the hardening on the valve tips, and potentially exposed the now soft valve tip to “ mushrooming” through normal use. Potentially fcking up the entire top end of the engine.

Let me ask this of those of you that don’t ignore this thread.....

Is this concern gonna fuel a possible conversation with the 3AMD?

I’m drinking presently in an attempt to bludgeon the bitch ( the 3AMD) into a state of semi-consciousness, hoping he’ ll stagger off to some park bench,...wrap himself in some newspaper,... sleep it off,.....and leave me alone tonight.

It won’t happen....Alcohol is a stimulant...I’ll be mentally pulling the head by 3:15 am.

Nawww... I’m just kidding....I am NOT pulling that head, regardless of what the pos 3AMD thinks.
* until I start having excessive valve train noise after I get it running again.

And....in other news..

According to the email confirmation, my converter arrived at PTC today at 11AM. I figure I’ll give them a couple of days before I’ll call and ask them if they’ve opened the box. Aside from the obvious modifications to fit, I told them I was concerned that the smaller engine might need the converter tweaked to allow it to stall higher....so it might do more.....than fall out of a tree.

Reactions: 1 user
Last week, While talking to Brian Crower, and after telling him how that fck that redid the head ground the valve tips in an attempt to “save me“ from having to buy shims to clearance the cams,....BC’s concerns were that dumbmthfcker ground through the hardening on the valve tips, and potentially exposed the now soft valve tip to “ mushrooming” through normal use. Potentially fcking up the entire top end of the engine.

It won’t happen....Alcohol is a stimulant...I’ll be mentally pulling the head by 3:15 am

You need weed dude. You and that ole devil can sit eye to eye and have this out long before 3AM.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I have my $140.00 pile of metal discs that will allow me to properly clearance the cams.
But..

Let me ask this of those of you that don’t ignore this thread.....

Is this concern gonna fuel a possible conversation with the 3AMD?

I’m drinking presently in an attempt to bludgeon the bitch ( the 3AMD) into a state of semi-consciousness, hoping he’ ll stagger off to some park bench,...wrap himself in some newspaper,... sleep it off,.....and leave me alone tonight.

It won’t happen....Alcohol is a stimulant...I’ll be mentally pulling the head by 3:15 am.

Nawww... I’m just kidding....I am NOT pulling that head, regardless of what the pos 3AMD thinks.
* until I start having excessive valve train noise after I get it running again.

And....in other news..

According to the email confirmation, my converter arrived at PTC today at 11AM. I figure I’ll give them a couple of days before I’ll call and ask them if they’ve opened the box. Aside from the obvious modifications to fit, I told them I was concerned that the smaller engine might need the converter tweaked to allow it to stall higher....so it might do more.....than fall out of a tree.
"However, the depth of hardening is ultimately limited by the inability of carbon to diffuse deeply into solid steel, and a typical depth of surface hardening with this method is up to 1.5 mm."

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case-...epth of hardening,in a carbon-rich atmosphere. for more information.

Mike, way back when I worked in John Deere's engine works they had hardened caps for the valve tips, you could research that option. But then you may have problems shimming your valve train properly. Just a thought....

Sharing this link as an example:

Status
Not open for further replies.