Build Thread 429MII's Build Thread

Classic auto reproductions has this 'Torino' style

IMG_5239_1024x1024.JPG

and cowl
IMG_4134_1024x1024.JPG

but i do want to see something you made all custom cool! The 68 shelby would be neat
but I've always imagined a cobra jet shaker fitting the Mutt2's style really nice.

2040 parts has flip nose

001.jpg

This!

th-5.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I really like the classic auto one and I would buy that but i need about 2 to 3' clearance (height) for air cleaner at the very rear of the hood. I would not use a traditional cowl induction because I don't really like the look and they are really overdone in the automotive world.. I actually would prefer no scoop but that is impossible with the logistics of engine placement in a M II. The last pic is pretty well what I was envisioning yes.

Sorry more scoop stuff, I guess I'm excited.

This front end is neat overall with relocated turn sigs, fogs, and scoopy spoiler
I like how the lines carries in to the grill header.

02d0e254322e67ea1f97967308f5cb6d.jpg

Here on the olds it is getting to big
H6030_71_72_2_inch_raised_442_hood_2.jpg

This one is WTF

mustang-2-4-685x385.jpg

I have that spoiler on mine but I cut it to have a stockish flavor. Was still too long because I bashed it on a speed bump.

IMG_20150311_100348268.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I'd guess that with the big block under the hood a shaker probably wouldn't work so well and may end up looking like that primer black coupe - I think it would probably be too much. I do like the 68 GT500 scoop idea. With the 68 scoops being farther forward on the hood it should work really well having the center "flat" section of the hood raised to accommodate the height of the big block. And, if you needed to, you could leave it open like a cowl hood, I think it would more serve as an extractor than an induction and give all of the extra incoming air a place to escape.

Yes, thats what I was thinking with the GT 500.
The problem when selecting a scoop/hood is that the engine sits so far back, the rear bowl on the Holley is about 1/2 inch from the cowl edge. This means the height of what ever you put on has to be highest at the back or high the whole length.
This is further complicated by how high the engine sits with the carb top flange about level with the hood. I have 1/4" clearance from pan to crossmember and steering rack so I have the engine as low as it will go I think.
The no brainer easy hood fix is a cowl, but I just don't care for the look.
Another thing is air flow. I can't be closer than 1" from top of carb to scoop, AND I technically need about a 3.5 to 4 " x 12 minimum air cleaner to flow the volume of air the engine needs at WOT. (the air cleaner I have on in the pics was just one I had laying around)
If I really start working on the height I guess I could modify the pan to gain another 1/4 inch, use offset rack bushings for another 1/4" and machine the carb mounting flange on the manifold for 1/8 inch but those extreme measures only drop the engine a max of 5/8 lower and doesn't move where the carb sits in relation to the cowl.
20190302_215414.jpg

Pro mod windshield scoop

201745281126_1.jpg

Of course ya got to do what ya got to do

th-16.jpeg

Just kidding, if it was easy we would all be doing it.

It looks like raw fiberglass to me.

How about the Boss 429 scoop?

M-315_with_dimensions__54582.jpg

And as for where the fuel bowl sits in relation to the hood, do you have to clearance the hood bracing to accommodate?

Since tall at the back is a priority and a cowl scoop aint doing it.

Its time for the Elephant in a box Hemi Hood scoop (tall at back, lots o room, slides to back edge of hood.)
Its only draw back is it is Fugly.

image.jpeg

Ok so you already cut the fire wall out, just cut the cowl off and weld it onto hood then use the
teardrop scoop on your new longer hood, just saying...:rolleyes::D

Scoop-F4.jpg

Lol, I guess I'm to the point where i'm not really helping with my BS

As far as the Boss scoop goes, I totally agree with you under "normal" circumstances, but a 429 in the bay of a II is not exactly "normal." :O_o:
Dimension wise, it looks to give you everything that you're looking for. And, having that 429 underneath it goes a lot into the explanation for a need for it. If it was a run of the mill 302, like mine, it's definitely overkill. But I also think I understand what you're after. You're looking for something a little more subtle, something that looks like it may have been a factory option or maybe a dealer installed package, kinda like a Yenko Camaro, Nova, Chevelle, etc. At least that's what I'm taking from it. :D

I guess I'm a little stumped as you probably are. Maybe the GT500 hood idea is the way to go. What about if you were to modify the cowl panel as well as the hood. For example, if you were to raise the flat section of the hood 2", you modify the cowl panel in the same manner - cut and raise the same width of the panel to match the hood. You could probably even cut some holes in the vertical section for air extraction coming from the scoops to go through the cowl vents. I think it'd still have that cowl hood look, but then again, it'd not. Or, you could split the difference that way, raise the hood and cowl about half the distance you need, then find a scoop that fits your personality to put over the carb and air cleaner. The scoop might distract from the fact that the hood has been raised a little, and I don't think it's look near as ridiculous as someone who puts a hood scoop on a cowl hood since your cowl panel actually matches the hood profile....??

Your assessment of what i want is bang on.
This is what I am trying to achieve more or less. Ok.. the engine plate kind of detracts.. but I'm going to paint it to sort of make it not stand out as much. Also the room required for exhaust and steering made the plate necessary.
Theres lots of body mods I could do to help the mustang II aesthetics but I keep leaning towards making it appear as somewhat of a factory car, which is why I left the wheel wells etc and didn't tub it, as that would have been easier overall. Other than mildly tucked bumpers and a scoop I really keep leaning towards leaving everything stock. This is why I probably need to modify the cobra scoop to be a bit larger, use the cut down cobra jet scoop or something subtle as opposed to a giant 4" cowl or a pro stock scoop.