Build Thread 429MII's Build Thread

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same subframe connectors on my car.

Will you be boxing/enclosing the front end where there's a gap when they're installed? Given your welding skill, I'd love to see how that would look.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I see where the gap would be and yes I will be filling that or plating that area for sure. I can't put them in permanently till I get the engine and trans sitting in there for proper weight loading on chassis. I will bolt them as well as weld them. I may also beef up the rear part where the box tube is as it looks too thin walled for my liking. I may replace that box with a 3/16 wall box instead of the 1/8.
I will be adding other supports and outriggers for the area inside the car above the torque boxes and for where the roll bar will mount. I am putting in a 4 pt bar reminiscent of the 60's shelby's. I don't want to be climbing over side bars and I want to keep the rear seat if possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Found that hood with cowl attached

Hairy Glass Inc. With this you'll have room for 2nd carb.

683 1.jpg

sorry no recent update pics yet. I am in the time-consuming scraping out undercoating and cleaning mode. I will be pulling car completely apart prior to paint etc, but I still need some areas cleaned up, like around where I need to weld and the spring hat area. I am rebuilding the upper control arms with urethane bushings.
I think I will cut 1/2 coil out of the coil spring too because there is less weight on the front springs with this combo over the original 302. I calculate it will at about 3/8 higher than stock as is, so since I want it a little lower than stock I am thinking 1/2 a coil which I'm thinking is about 1" drop.I have 14's on the front, so I can't go too low or they will rub. I also will have a header pipe or two running through the wheel well so need a little room.

here is what took me about an hour and a half of scraping. The darker areas are where paint was so thin it is primer, and up to the right is seam sealer which is in good shape. I have now also cleaned inside the hat which in this pic is still dirty. Now I can roughly assemble for mock up and move to the other side, I can't wait to be done all this so I can get my engine and trans back in for finishing engine and trans mounts.
20190419_184415.jpg

I gave the hat and area a quick splash of generic white paint for now just to make it uniform. Once all systems are mocked up it all comes back off for prep and paint on the rotisserie anyway. Plus I can go over all the welds and add and clean up factory assembly faults at the same time.
These cars were definitely mass produced, There are lots of tacky attachment points and crappy stampings etc. one panel on the front right corner looks like it was in an accident on one side but the back side of the same panel area is untouched, so I can only assume the panels took a beating in the pile after they were made and they just threw them on it it didn't affect anything structurally or visibly on the outer finished product.