1981 2.3 turbo help- LOTS OF SMOKE!

derrickwork

Aug 17, 2004
CA
ok, so after a few years of sitting, I changed the fluids and fired her up. I am getting huge plumes of whitish greay smoke under boost. I am not an expert here by any stretch but my guess would be a blown or leaky head gasket? The previous owner replaced the turbo hoping to fix this problem but to no avail. It seems to run very strong despite this. The cop who pulled me over was not pleased as the smoke was HUGE and took a while to dissapate. WOuld rings be another problem? I heard that they are not the strongest point of these motors. Thanks for any suggestions on where to go next.

• Sponsors (?)

if it is white, it is water of some sort.
since you say it is alot of it. I would say the head gasket has blown. find a felpro or a motorsport gasket and plop that on. ohh yah new head bolst are a good idea.

while the head is off check the block and head for straightness. they dont often warp but it is possible. the gaskets only last so long anyways, probably originall to the motor!!

Thanks. Mclaren M81

Thanks, it's an original McLaren M81 with the 170HP variable boost turbo. Looks like I have a fun weekend in store tearing in to this. Any suggestions on upgrading this for performance/longevity without deviating too far from stock to retain originality?

derrickwork said:
Thanks, it's an original McLaren M81 with the 170HP variable boost turbo. Looks like I have a fun weekend in store tearing in to this. Any suggestions on upgrading this for performance/longevity without deviating too far from stock to retain originality?
Is it EFI? or carb turbo?

Dr.

it is a carb turbo.

Attachments

• m81mclaren.jpg
    m81mclaren.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 160
Hooolly!!! PFFFFFFfff
I about lost what I was drinking out of my nose!
You got a mcLaren!!!
I am so enveous (SP), is it genuine?
it would be a carbed 2.3 turbo, lowered with blacked out rims, Recaros, Hella lights, and an awesome suspension.

drooooooooool,
I wanna see the picture. or 2 or 3

Yes, it's real. Has the metal tag riveted to the firewall and one glued to the dash. Has a variable boost dial under the steering column and the stewart warner guages. It needs some body work in the front, has 23K miles, 4 speed, the Recaro's are missing (will replace when I can find the exact match) but the interior is mint. Has konis, body kit all fiberglass, flares, BBS, and the rollbar. It still runs nice, but I do not want to damage anything with the billowing smoke. Nobody I call or talk to can tell me anything about the carbed 4 turbo, so I just joined the forum to see what I can learn. I am an enthusiast with great mechanical aptitude but little experience. That's my long departed 86 Capri in the background shot. Cheers, Derrick

I would go for the head gasket. while you are at it get some ARP studs.

Damn that thing is beutifull. How much you want for it?

I have the same motor in my mustang, but it only puts out about 120hp.

If you need help just ask. I know a couple tricks. there are about 3 others that deal with these cars to.

how much did you pay for it?

And if you decide to sell it, let me know. This is one car I would be willing to travel across the ocean to get.

droooooooooooooool.

IS that a Capri in the background of the first picture I see.
I wouldnt mind having the 2.3 turbo Capri either. they are rare to, and usually more plushed out.
I gota do it again.
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

What it could look like. dammit, your never going to sell it now. what am I doing. grrrr, you got my McLaren fetish started again.

81McLaren.jpg

McLaren.jpg

:drool: :drool:

gt-2.jpg

82FOMU02.jpg

Yes I have edited this a couple times, you had enough yet!!!! Huh, HUH!!
I am sure I can find more.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 80mclaren.jpg
    80mclaren.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 194
You guys are funny. I've had this 7 years now and do not plan on selling! If someone had a 1969 mach 1 SJC Mustang, i'd trade!

I picked it up reasonably priced due to the work needed. The pic with the lady is the one I remembered from a book. That mclaren orange is unmistakable. I was driving home one day and out of the corner of my eye I saw it in a driveway on a side street for a split second. I made a u-turn and knocked on the door. Made the deal the next day. Never done that before or since. The 1968 Capri 5.0 (sorry! 4cyl fans) was my ride at the time but is long gone after going 165,000 miles and still very strong. I have a thing for flared fenders and race cars. I always wanted an SVO but never had the dough.

7 years and it still looks like that? must be college or something?
hold on to it and keep it originall. how many did they make? not more than 100 I think. especially with the wide fender setup.

My neighbor picked up a Hornet like that. the car still sits though. I saw a red one on the net about 5 years ago for some big price, it was so nice. but I think it was a replica, capri fenders, mustang bumpers, 2.3 turbo. and a vert.

You got it; college. now mortgage and 2 kids= not much time! I am itching to dig into it and spending time on this forum is helping to get me motivated! I believe there were actually only 10 made. 7 were orange.

Do you recommend a specific part number for FelPro or Motorsports HGasket? What about the ARP studs?

Also, there was a black M81 on ebay some time ago. It was being sold at a consignmnet shop in Italy. Here is a pic link:

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/mclaren_mustang_m81/black_m81_2.html

I have no idea if the car is still available or if this was all legitimate. There was much speculation that something was not right with the transaction but I can tell you that the car looked very correct!

Cheers,
DH

After lots of time (holy crap 14 years?!), work, and frustration I've rebuilt the head, added roller rockers, ARP head studs, rebuilt turbo, and replaced/refurbished with NOS where possible. Details are up on the FEP site in the 2.3 section where I've received a ton of help and support. It's drivable but still working on the tune for CA smog purposes this Friday.
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG