Engine 1986 5.0-GT- Idling/bucking Problems

QuickFox86

Sep 22, 2020
Mesa
Hey guys. So I'm having running problems with my '86 GT. Sometimes the car runs great, but sometimes it will have a bad idle and buck really bad when you attempt to drive it. It also sounds like it's backfiring sometimes. I know this is probably an ignition/timing issue, or maybe I have a vacuum leak somewhere. It also might be a TFI module, but I am not sure. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

Many things come to mind as possible causes but rather than poke here or jab this do this checklist step by step,

Reactions: 1 user

Ok I'll run through it. Thanks.

So, is your '86 completely stock? If not, what modifications?

As far as the engine goes I know the speed density system has been replaced with a mass air system, and the EGR has been deleted, as well as aluminum heads, msd box, and a tubular intake manifold off a 1st gen lightning.

As far as the engine goes I know the speed density system has been replaced with a mass air system, and the EGR has been deleted, as well as aluminum heads, msd box, and a tubular intake manifold off a 1st gen lightning.
Do you have an aftermarket cam by any chance? I have an original '86 converted to mass air, plus E303 cam, aluminum heads, roller rockers, 24lb injectors, equal-length headers, etc., as well as deleted smog pump and EGR. At low speeds (under 1,500 RPM) I frequently get bucking, which I'm told is likely the cam. But my idle is great. I did take it to a tuner for some work.