Progress Thread 1985 GT 5.0 Mustang Restoration/Bringing my dad's old car back to life

Well, I now need to change my front door lock after YouTubing lock bumping... Just kidding, but those things are wild and I might have to look further into it. Would it work on my 85? Would sure save me a lot of time right now.

I don't think that my dachshund is capable of hearing anyone under the covers since the little sob takes half the bed, usually have to boot him back to the ground where his bed is.

Bandit.jpg

• Clever
Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

9E9368D2-0FB9-49A1-8B30-F4D0C7749AD5.jpeg

Just pray he doesn’t breathe on you, or you’re in the same room when he rips one.
* Edit he looks like he’s built in Frankenstein’t dog laboratory..Lower in front than in the rear..made with two different dogs.

• Love
  • Drool
What's up, I know, I know, I need to be more active. Trust me, daily pictures and updates are coming soon with summer. School is getting the best of me and my time right now with finals and projects as the year is ending in two weeks to the day. I have been taking brackets off, cleaning, bead blasting, and painting. I got keys! The guy who lost the keys while bringing the car down got a locksmith friend to come and check it out. He got some master keys that worked and now the steering wheel is free:lock::banana:. Going to steam clean the whole car now that I can steer it, also gonna get a fuel filter, line, and a new carb. Gonna do a smog pump delete as the thing isn't and wasn't even hooked up. I have no clue as to why so I will find out later.

Reactions: 1 user
Well guys, I am super close to getting this hog runnin, got a Holley street warrior 600 carb, new brake booster, and a master cylinder, my dad's friend rebuilt the alternator and the thing looks brand new. I got the new water pump on, also painted brackets, fan, pulleys, and more. It was a pain getting the new carburetor gasket but finally got one, going to paint my AC pump later and brake booster then put those on tomorrow after a car show. No place actually had the suspension kit in stock and would have had to wait till December for jegs to ship it, but luckily found a site with 3 left and snagged one. Hoping that it comes next week or so, I also got the new fuel lines on, with a new fuel filter, cleaned the gas tank properly, but the sending unit is dust, It was packed full of good ol hard gasoline and dirt. I have new slave cylinders and calipers for the brakes, along with new suspension bushings. I think she's comin together nicely..

Well guys, I am super close to getting this hog runnin, got a Holley street warrior 600 carb, new brake booster, and a master cylinder, my dad's friend rebuilt the alternator and the thing looks brand new. I got the new water pump on, also painted brackets, fan, pulleys, and more. It was a pain getting the new carburetor gasket but finally got one, going to paint my AC pump later and brake booster then put those on tomorrow after a car show. No place actually had the suspension kit in stock and would have had to wait till December for jegs to ship it, but luckily found a site with 3 left and snagged one. Hoping that it comes next week or so, I also got the new fuel lines on, with a new fuel filter, cleaned the gas tank properly, but the sending unit is dust, It was packed full of good ol hard gasoline and dirt. I have new slave cylinders and calipers for the brakes, along with new suspension bushings. I think she's comin together nicely..
I'm so exited to hear your story, but no pictures. Man, I want to see painted brackets WTF

Alright, I got a lot done to the car, the rear end is completely back together with all my new suspension stuff. The car is now running pretty good, it's idling around where it's supposed to and the only thing making noise is the header gasket since it's old and probably nonexistent in some places. I have run into a couple of problems while re-assembling the front end. First, the new shocks will not fit inside the 85 spindles, as the spindle has a 1inch opening for the shocks, and the shocks are 20mm wide. Bilstein sent me the correct shocks for the back but the part number for the front says that it's for an 87 mustang :rolleyes:. IF it's not one thing it's THE OTHER :fuss:. But I was wondering if I could mill down the mounting area that the strut mounts to on the spindles. As well as if the 85 mustang spindle bearings are the same as the 87? I am at a complete loss here ass I don't know where to find the 85 Bilstein shocks, I might as well contact summit or Bilstein, but might as well check if anyone knows of a way that would work. Please if you know of anything I could do let me know!! thanks, I will post new pictures tomorrow morning! maybe even a video of it running??:banana::worthlesb

Alright, I got a lot done to the car, the rear end is completely back together with all my new suspension stuff. The car is now running pretty good, it's idling around where it's supposed to and the only thing making noise is the header gasket since it's old and probably nonexistent in some places. I have run into a couple of problems while re-assembling the front end. First, the new shocks will not fit inside the 85 spindles, as the spindle has a 1inch opening for the shocks, and the shocks are 20mm wide. Bilstein sent me the correct shocks for the back but the part number for the front says that it's for an 87 mustang :rolleyes:. IF it's not one thing it's THE OTHER :fuss:. But I was wondering if I could mill down the mounting area that the strut mounts to on the spindles. As well as if the 85 mustang spindle bearings are the same as the 87? I am at a complete loss here ass I don't know where to find the 85 Bilstein shocks, I might as well contact summit or Bilstein, but might as well check if anyone knows of a way that would work. Please if you know of anything I could do let me know!! thanks, I will post new pictures tomorrow morning! maybe even a video of it running??:banana::worthlesb
I have a brand new set of Bilstein struts for an ‘86 if you’re interested. I bought them before I decided to go to the ‘87-‘93 front suspension, and then had to order the correct ‘87 struts. Bilstein doesn't even list the ‘86 struts anymore.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
The 85 mustang uses the same spindle as the 4 cylinder for all years. The bearings are the same as 4 cylinder ones. In 87 the 5.0 mustangs got bigger brakes and different spindles for the v8.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Alright then, thanks a lot. At this point, any input helps as I am stuck between milling the spindle down to fit the 87 shocks and seeing how much Willy will sell his 86 shocks for? Speaking of so, WillyBill how much would you let those 86 shocks go for.