Progress Thread 1985 GT 5.0 Mustang Restoration/Bringing my dad's old car back to life

• Sponsors (?)

It's street-legal now... after a long awaited restoration to just get it driving, but it's not over now. I need a smog pump delete pulley and a clutch adjustment assembly. Any recommendations on either would help a lot!

It's street-legal now... after a long awaited restoration to just get it driving, but it's not over now. I need a smog pump delete pulley and a clutch adjustment assembly. Any recommendations on either would help a lot!
Rather than a smog pump delete pulley, just remove the pump and use a shorter belt.

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 7.33.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 7.33.34 AM.png
    1,015 KB · Views: 83
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Yes, that's what I'll do, thanks for the diagram. I was thinking about just using a shorter belt I just did not know what size. Do you have any recommendations on what clutch adjustment assembly I should get?

Depending on the brand/style components that you are running on your car the belt length can very somewhat. I am running everything but the smog pump. The belt on my car technically is for a 03 Dodge Charger V6. I would suggest getting a few belts to try. One the size you think it is and a couple sizes smaller and larger. If you tell the parts guy that you are getting them from what you are doing they will let you take them and figure it out. Then you can return the ones you don't need. That was my experience at least.

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on the brand/style components that you are running on your car the belt length can very somewhat. I am running everything but the smog pump. The belt on my car technically is for a 03 Dodge Charger V6. I would suggest getting a few belts to try. One the size you think it is and a couple sizes smaller and larger. If you tell the parts guy that you are getting them from what you are doing they will let you take them and figure it out. Then you can return the ones you don't need. That was my experience at least.
My '86 has everything except the smog pump. The 84.5" belt shown in the diagram above fit it perfectly first time.

Bill

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure why my setup is odd. I tried the recommended belt lengths, but they didn't work. After a few trips to the store I just bought a mess of different size belts and used the one that worked. The store let me return the ones I didn't need.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Having an off and on the problem of smoke coming off the passenger cat. I would assume, high revs the motor is spitting oil out of the breather, could this be causing the smoke, or is it the old cats? Nothing I'm worried about but I would like your opinion.

Having an off and on the problem of smoke coming off the passenger cat. I would assume, high revs the motor is spitting oil out of the breather, could this be causing the smoke, or is it the old cats? Nothing I'm worried about but I would like your opinion.
‘86 and later 5.0s have a closed system, so you shouldn’t have anything blowing out the breather unless it’s been modified. There’s a tube that runs from the oil filler tube to the throttle body for any oil vapor to go back into the intake.

Bill

Fixed my oil problem, just bent the tabs back as far as they would, and still go on, so the breather is sitting tighter, got my other PCV valve hooked up, and replaced the motor mounts, plus the tranny mount. I had received a Tremec TKO 500 from my dad's cousin, who also has a 9" for the car, I took it in to be rebuilt and found that the case is torn up and I need a new case, countershaft, and input shaft, plus the necessities like a new bearing and synchro kit. The car runs great besides the overheated clutch and pressure plate since when you stomp on the gas it will rev and not accelerate, then in high gears, the clutch trips, as in it grabs and slips and grabs again, and jerks the car. If anyone has any advice or another TKO 500(tranny or case) lying around please let me know, any help is greatly appreciated!:coff:

In pic 1, is that filings build up or galled material? Looks like a lot of debris, but where is the damage to the case? Obviously some internal parts got chewed up but if no damage to the case, clean it up and reuse it.

I think I would walk away from that transmission and find another or a new one... It could cost as much as a new one to rebuild that... hard parts add up fast...
Is the 9" a bolt in for a fox body? Or is it a 9 inch from something else??

Summit used to sell g force transmission cases. Not sure if they still do. They are way stronger than the factory aluminum T5 case. The deflection in the case is what causes the gears to eat teeth. Not a bad investment for the price...but jeeesh....5 months...

Jeggs has it listed but says won't ship until 01- 2023.

Screenshot_20220819-124914_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: 1 user