1992 FORD MUSTANG GT/COBRA GT need info

jstone

Dec 29, 2008
Hello,
I have a 1992 FORD MUSTANG GT/COBRA GT convertible black on black. It was a special order that included the Cobra engine in 1992, very rare.

The problem is I am trying to sell it, and can't determine how much to charge. I have little experience with auto's and would like some advice on how to prove that it has a Cobra engine.

I pulled a VIN report and it states that it is a Cobra, but I need specific proof for any potential buyers.

preface: I do not have the original sales doc's. The car is in good condition.

My two questions:

How do I determine that it has a Cobra engine?
How can I determine the price for such a rare mustang?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I hate to be the one to shoot you down, but the Cobra engine wasn't even a reality until '93 because they were designing it in '92. What you likely have is a Canadian Mustang, which were labeled GT Cobras and had the same old 302 as any other GT in them. (not bustin your balls or anything...just shedding some light).

Yep it sounds like you have a Canadian Mustang GT that they called the GT/Cobra. Which is just your run of the mill American Mustang GT. There's nothing speical about it at all.

Ford had to use the name 'Cobra' to keep the rights to it, at least thats what I heard.

Well regardless, there are some ways you can check out the engine to see if for some reason it does have "Cobra parts" on it but keep in mind that every part that was put on the Cobra was available through the aftermarket so even if it has all the right parts, it's still just a Canuckistang...lol. First, the intake is an obvious difference...do a web search for Cobra intake and you'll find some pics for reference. Next, you could pull off a valve cover and see if it has 1.72 roller tip rocker arms. Third, you could look at the front face of the cylinder heads (the flat part pointing towards the radiator) and see if there are are 3 bars sort of like "III" cast into the head...this would designate that it has GT40 iron heads on it. Other stuff like under drive pulleys and a different computer (though i don't recall which computer that was) and a rather crappy cam if you wanna go so far as to pull the cam and have it degreed.

Here's a pic i just happened upon by random chance. Notice the "GT" in the corner and the 3 bars just right of the top/center of the pic. Those are 2 dead giveaways for iron GT40 heads, which the Cobras had (but again, you could also get them off of a pre-97 302 Explorer too).
View attachment 281906

Hate to break it to you, but you have a GT.

The whole GT/CObra thing on the title/vin is very common. About once a month someone comes on here saying they have a GT/COBRA and asking how rare it is.

You have a normal 5.0 HO engine. The cobra engine wasn't available until 1993.

Nothing special about your car, price it out as a normal GT convertible.

Hello,
I have a 1992 FORD MUSTANG GT/COBRA GT convertible black on black. It was a special order that included the Cobra engine in 1992, very rare.

The problem is I am trying to sell it, and can't determine how much to charge. I have little experience with auto's and would like some advice on how to prove that it has a Cobra engine.

I pulled a VIN report and it states that it is a Cobra, but I need specific proof for any potential buyers.

My two questions:

Thanks.
Hello,

My two questions:

Thanks.
Hi, I know I'm new here but....I have a 1992 Mustang Cobra Gt that I purchased New. Decoded the VIN after seeing your message last night and my car was made in Dearborn Michigan. A friend of mine family owned several car dealerships and I had already purchased several vehicles from him and sent him alot of business. He would let me order vehicles out of the dealer book because he said I knew what people wanted and the cars, trucks sold fast if I didn't buy them. I had a 1990 GT in bright Red that I drove for work that had 72,000 miles on it and at the time I thought that was a lot so I ordered the 1992 Ford Mustang GT with all the goodies I wanted in the same color. The 1992 was faster and drove better but I didn't really think about it a whole lot. I saw a1993 Mustang Cobra on the lot and stopped the check it out. The service manager came out and asked me why I was checking out the Cobra and I told him the obvious reasons. He said Barry your car is a Cobra and I again told him what the difference was and several more times over the years but he did not explain. I was in the line to purchase my tags one year and I noticed the documentation said 1992 Cobra and that's when started to figure out that my buddy had ordered something only big dealers could do. I had a 1992 Ford Mustang Cobra in GT dress and my friend never did tell me what he had done, Thanks Lewis !!!. He got in trouble for that DISCO. Powder and lost his dealership and I have not seen him since.When I paid the car off and received the title it says Cobra, just Cobra no mention of GT. I still have the car and it has over 350,000 HARD miles on it, drag strips, all kind of crazy stuff mustang drivers do and the motor is original. The biggest thing that broke on it was a clutch that I exploded in the 1st year I had it. My car had 4 converters on it and somehow 2 got removed and the other 2 hollowed out. I put Flowmaster 50 series racing mufflers on it during the first week I had and it sounds wicked. It needs a transmission is why I'm not driving it now, I plan to put a 6 speed in when I start fixing her up. My dream is to restore it back to like it was when I saw them pull it off the trailer, I even have the original window sticker put away somewhere. I will check the head part #s and post the results here but a 1992 Cobra Gt made in Dearborn Michigan is possible even if the heads etc are not GT 40 little details like that make cars like mine unique and I imagine it's a good thing..

My 89 convertible had Cobra on the title...and the insurance information. While searching for the right soeedometer gear I stumbled across a bit of info. My car had a white face ford Motorsports 160mph cluster. The Ford dealerships parts guy owned a couple SSP mustangs and walked out to ID my buck tag on the core support. After running the numbers he came back and said it was a special edition ultra light. He then pointed out my factory fiberglass trunk lid....fiberglass spoiler that looked like a GT hatch spoiler w/ brake light and opened and closed my doors noting how light they were.

By thus time my car had a 10 point cage and the interior was completely redone.

He told me it wasn't a " cobra " but any car that was special ordered carried that designation ....and Canada...

Well I know my speedometer is not white but the door and spoiler info makes me think. What is the spoiler on a GT made out of ? I know mine is not metal. My car has gone through several sets of exterior door handles and I always wondered if I just wore them out. My COBRA is at my cabin on top of a mountain and not many know I still have it. The first question I get when people see it is " How in the HELL. did you get it up here?" My reply has always been " Sideways of course" and "Easy". I paid $14,300 + - for mine and it has been one HELL. of a car, back then motors just didn't last as long as they do today. It chokes me up thinking about it, more than just a car to me...

From Ford Performance:

1993 SVT Mustang Cobra

The inaugural year for the SVT Mustang Cobra, 1993, was also the last for the Fox-body Mustang. As such, the 1993 is the only Fox-body Cobra produced. Developed quickly with the use of off-the-shelf parts such as GT-40 cylinder heads from Ford Racing, the 1993 SVT Mustang Cobra boasted 235 horsepower from its 5.0-liter V-8, as well as larger vented front and rear brakes. Available only with a Borg-Warner T-5 manual transmission, the SVT Cobra’s 0-60 mph time of 5.7 seconds offered a distinct performance advantage over the mainstream Mustang GT. To help set it apart, SVT added subtle exterior enhancements, inducing a restyled front valance with round fog lamps, unique 17-inch seven-spoke alloy wheels, a rear deck wing and special Cobra badging.

Production
Total Produced (Hatchback Only): 4,993

- Black: 1,854
- Vibrant Red: 1,784 (1,775 Clearcoat / Paint Code ES & 9 Non-Clearcoat /Paint Code EY)
- Teal: 1,355

The SVT Cobra started in 93, no if ands or buts about it. Ford did NOT make a Cobra convertible in 93. The SVT Registry has more information than you can imagine.

As for vin codes and 1993 SVT Cobra will have a few differences. The 6-7th digit will be 42 for hatchback (since the SVT cobra was only made in hatchback) the 8th digit will be D for SVT cobra engine code. The 10th digit will be P for 1993 model year.

SVT Cobras were produced from 1993-1999, 2001, 2003-2004 only. Ford/SVT did not make a cobra in 2000 because of the new CPU they wanted to give the aftermarket a year to figure it out. They did not produce a 2002 cobra because of the 03-04 terminators were coming out.

As for vin codes and 1993 SVT Cobra will have a few differences. The 6-7th digit will be 42 for hatchback (since the SVT cobra was only made in hatchback) the 8th digit will be D for SVT cobra engine code. The 10th digit will be P for 1993 model year.

SVT Cobras were produced from 1993-1999, 2001, 2003-2004 only. Ford/SVT did not make a cobra in 2000 because of the new CPU they wanted to give the aftermarket a year to figure it out. They did not produce a 2002 cobra because of the 03-04 terminators were coming out.

Please explain that to the Maryland Motor Vehicles Administration....and State Farm Insurance. They owe me some back money. Lol.

My title and insurance said Cobra...in 1989. I know it wasn't a SVT Cobra...and I have never called it a Cobra. Don't know what happened but seems like a bunch of people had the same issue I did. The guy at the dealer said that if a mustang was special ordered then it may be listed as cobra on the title.... Were the mustangs in Canada all special ordered ?

No such thing, unless the car came from Canada in which every 1992 GT was labeled a Cobra. Nothing special really, Ford just stuck the sticker on there.
I never said anything about a sticker. The service mansger, my Tag receipt info, and the GA title say Cobra. Is There Any reason I shouldn't post my VIN here? I have nothing to hide

Reactions: 1 user
Please explain that to the Maryland Motor Vehicles Administration....and State Farm Insurance. They owe me some back money. Lol.

My title and insurance said Cobra...in 1989. I know it wasn't a SVT Cobra...and I have never called it a Cobra. Don't know what happened but seems like a bunch of people had the same issue I did. The guy at the dealer said that if a mustang was special ordered then it may be listed as cobra on the title.... Were the mustangs in Canada all special ordered ?

All GT mustangs around that time that were sold to Canada were sold and marketed as "cobra". It was just a name/word used. There was no SVT then, there was no "cobra" specs it was a sticker on the deck lid and that was about it. This goes on everywhere when the US and other manufacturers sell cars designed for foreign markets. VW sells a Jetta here, they sell a Pollo in Germany, same car different name/market. Titles, insurance etc etc, are done by people at the state level with no real input from manufacturers

I never said anything about a sticker. The service mansger, my Tag receipt info, and the GA title say Cobra. Is There Any reason I shouldn't post my VIN here? I have nothing to hide

It is 100% possible that the service manager, the tax commissioner, and tag receipt info are all technically wrong. I've posted all the 100% correct and verified information from SVT and Ford Motor Co. There were not, in any way shape or form, SVT Cobras manufactured befor 1993 for sale to the general public. The is no crossing what is a true SVT Cobra with any other model or trim package. They were made in hatchback only until the sn95 years.

2 months ago when I was titling my recently bought 92 lx which had an original 1995 GA title. The nice lady at the tax commissioners office asked 3 times about my "cobra" I corrected her because I had an lx not a gt and cobras were not made that year. She shows me on her screen that the last time is was tagged (2013) that someone put in it as LX/Cobra in the "system". I kindly asked her to delete the word cobra because it was wrong.

Now some dealers have some leeway. Anderson Ford, Downs Ford, Galpin Ford, make their money on high volume and the skilled technicians that add aftermarket, Ford Racing parts, etc etc to ford factory cars and sell them as packages and among other services they are allowed to provide. Kinda like Yanko did in the 60s and 70s. There could have been SVT Cobra parts installed on mustang GTs from the dealership. Which does not make the car one of the 4993 SVT Cobras produced in 93. Idk how any of these parts could have made it onto a 92 year model from the dealership since those parts were not available yet but stranger things have happened.