1993 GT fog lamp pops 15a fuse as soon as it is turned on

Did a search - nothing matches my problem. I turn on the lights and hit the fog switch and the 15 amp fuse pops. I replace the fuse with a 30 amp and do the same thing - lights go dim but the fog lights do NOT come on - left them on for 4 or 5 seconds and cut it off for fear of burning things up with that 30 amp fuse - Do I need a new headlamp switch? Fog lamps have worked recently but I did a lot of work to the car - including a 3g 200 amp alternator upgrade with disconnecting the 2 10 guage wires and running just a battery cable from the alternator to the battery (charges GREAT)

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a dead short to me and adding the 30 amp fuse may have caused more damage than you had to start with. Basically adding a 30 amp fuse has allowed twice as much potenial for the wire burning than before. If you can trace the wiring back form the dash and see if anything is touching metal. The dash switch has been an ongoing issue and could be the problem.I would start there and work my way back.

30 amp fuse did not pop - only left it on for about 3-4 seconds - it made the lights go dim while it was on so I cut the fogs off immediately and took the fuse out. I am going to buy a new light switch tommorrow at the local auto parts store if they still keep them in stock.

Once you get done tracing it, I would recommend the relay upgrade on the fog lights. If done properly, this should make the circuit safer anyhow.

Good luck.

Good article - I will have to study it for a while before I can attempt it. There is no problem with the headlights themselves - all works fine - just popping the fog lamp fuse. I did pull the headlight/fog light switch today and replace it with an auto store unit to see if the switch was the problem - does the same thing - turn lights on - then fogs - POP goes the 15amp fuse to the fogs but the fogs do not even think about coming on - not even a blink. I saw no evidence in the wires going to the headlight switch or the switch itself of any melting and the fog lamps are new aftermarket replacements from CJ Pony Parts that are mounted to the normal brackets with clean bolts (if they ground there it should be good) - the plugs that go to the fogs are good as well as all the wires that I could trace back.... I wonder if the multi-function switch is bad? High beams work fine, signals work fine, dash lights are fine,,,,, hmmm.....I was hoping for an easy fix without tearing into the dash and steering column and still be DOT legal. I hate the idea of just leaving the holes without the lights in them to stay legal.