1993 GT - Headlight Relay Mod Advice

kramsallad

Apr 2, 2008
I'm planning to add relays to my headlight circuit to take load off the switches. I like the plug-and-play harnesses out there, but they are a little expensive (this Painless one is $117). So I decided to create my own plug-and-play harness using this connector so that I don't have to splice into factory wiring. (If anyone has source for a quality pre-fab relay harness that is less expensive than the Painless, let me know.)

For anyone who has done this mod, I have some questions:
  1. Did you use 2 relays (1 for high beam and 1 for low beam) or 4 relays (high/low/left/right)?
  2. Where did you locate your relays?
  3. Did you do anything to protect the relays from the elements (box, special mounting bracket, etc)?
  4. What gauge wire did you use?
  5. Solder or crimp connectors?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I bought this one off ebay a while back. It works great after I repinned a couple connections. All the connectors were correct. I tried searching ebay for it, and this exact one isn't available any more. But you might be able to search and find something similar you can modify if you don't want to source all the parts separately.
Capture.PNG

Thanks! Is this the same one?
https://coolbulbs.com/hdh9004

Were the wires long enough? Does it use standard Bosch style relays? What did you have to modify? How are your relays mounted?

It looks like the same one. Wires were plenty long. It's been a while since I installed it, but it didn't work right when switching between high and low beam if I remember right. I know I didn't have to cut anything. I was able to just move pins. Could have just been the one I got was wired wrong though. I mounted relays on the radiator support, near the battery. Don't remember what type of relays they are. Once I got it working and installed, haven't had to touch it.

It looks like the same one. Wires were plenty long. It's been a while since I installed it, but it didn't work right when switching between high and low beam if I remember right. I know I didn't have to cut anything. I was able to just move pins. Could have just been the one I got was wired wrong though. I mounted relays on the radiator support, near the battery. Don't remember what type of relays they are. Once I got it working and installed, haven't had to touch it.
I recently installed this kit
https://www.autozone.com/electrical.../putco-headlight-wire-harness/377806_468259_0
Quality seems good easy install but I am also having issues when switching between low/high beam.
Any recollection on what wires you moved?

I'm planning to add relays to my headlight circuit to take load off the switches. I like the plug-and-play harnesses out there, but they are a little expensive (this Painless one is $117). So I decided to create my own plug-and-play harness using this connector so that I don't have to splice into factory wiring. (If anyone has source for a quality pre-fab relay harness that is less expensive than the Painless, let me know.)

For anyone who has done this mod, I have some questions:
  1. Did you use 2 relays (1 for high beam and 1 for low beam) or 4 relays (high/low/left/right)?
  2. Where did you locate your relays?
  3. Did you do anything to protect the relays from the elements (box, special mounting bracket, etc)?
  4. What gauge wire did you use?
  5. Solder or crimp connectors?
Not really necessary, unless you have the GT. If you do, it can be modified for $2 , see this,
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/87-93-gt-fog-lamp-main-light-switch-fix.59/