1993 Mustang Cobra - need to replace rack and pinion. Need suggestions where to buy.

Myrlin54

Nov 12, 2012
Florida
Hi all,

Been a long long time since I've been here, that's good, been able to care for my car without major problems until now. I need to replace my rack and pinion it has leaked from a few different spots, seals are shot. My problem is finding a good replacement that won't break the bank. I tried ordering one from BAP, but that didn't work out it would take to long to explain and very confusing to follow along, suffice it to say it seems they cataloged the wrong part and number, and they don't have a cross reference for my original part number (RF-E0BC-3550 AA). So my quandary now is to find a good replacement that bolts right in and is 15:1 steering ratio, some of you think in terms of turns (2.2 lock to lock). I'm not opposed to a remanufactured part, but I have read a lot of reviews of leaks happening in less than a year. Since I have to do this on my back I'm not looking to do this more than once, the original lasted about 24 years, I'd like the next one to give me that kind of longevity. Does anyone have recommendations? might even consider having original rebuilt if someone knows of a reputable place that does it and has good guarantees, I say might because I'm fighting the clock, I go back to work in 20 days. I'm sure by now there have been a few folks that have done this replacement, could you please share your experiences and who to avoid when shopping for a rack, and who you've had the best results with. Thanks. I previously posted in General discussion earlier today, getting no hits trying now under suspension on fox body tech. Thanks again..

• Sponsors (?)

Haven't tried them, I've bought other things from them and the quality just isn't quite right, they're kinda iffy for me, and since I don;t want to be doing this again in 6 months I think I'll pass on them.

In doing a search too many places are not very informative. They'll say their racks are performance racks and are 3 turns lock to lock, my original which is listed on the window sticker says 15:1 steering ratio and I had check the turns before I dismounted my rack was 2.25 turns which matches data I found for the performance rack. Maximum Motorsports has a 15:1 rack that''s 2.25 turns LTL but it's manual steering not power. I keep finding other's that say they are direct replacement and are performance steering but they're 3.0 turns LTL that's not performance that would be the standard steering more like 20:1 steering ratio. So I'm hoping to find someone that has gone through this already and has had it in the car for a long period of time and no leaks developed.

I don't remember when I installed it, but it's got to be getting close to 20 years. Never had an issue.

The issue with any rack I believe is that they are all based on original cores and IMO nothing is ever the same again once you take it apart. That's why remanufactured stuff is hit or miss. I think in the case of the rack, it may fall under it is what it is.

I spoke with agr a while back when I had a question and I got the impression that is you have an issue, you pull it out, send it to them and they fix it. Not sure how long the warranty is or a repair cost if it's out of warranty.

Call them up and see what you think. They have gotten pretty pricey (like everything else). I'm a fan of talking to the people that make expensive parts.

Just be advised, my rack is extremely light pressure. They told me that's how it's valved, not sure if you want it that way. Which is why I suggest you give a them a call.

I've seen AGR for sale on a number of sites, just didn't see any reviews, there's hardly any reviews for any racks. I believe LMR sells them, among other's I wish I had the time to send mine out to be rebuilt. I'm going to hold onto mine, not send in the core, I'll see if I can find a good rebuilder and send it out later. Thanks for the info.