1994 GT Fuel Pump Issue

Hughy

Jan 8, 2013
I have a 1994 GT. The other day I was driving down the highway, went over some railroad tracks and my car died. Tried to restart and noticed the fuel pump wasn't priming. Thinking back, I remembered this happening at a stop sign about a week earlier but I was able to get it running again but seemed like I had to keep my foot on the gas or it would die. I checked the wiring harness at the fuel tank and I was getting 9.5 volts so I figured that was good (I later read it takes 10.5 before the pump will kick on, not sure if that's true). I replaced the fuel pump and still no prime when the key is turned on. I jumped the old pump off the battery and it spun so obviously that wasn't my problem. I did some crude testing of the CCRM and it seemed like I was getting 12 V on the pin that provides power to the pump but when I tried to use a wire to jump it the voltage drops. Checked the ground on CCRM with ohm meter and it seems good (no resistance). If I jump a wire from the battery straight to pin 5 on CCRM then the pump comes on so I assume all the wiring from CCRM back to the pump is good. Bought new CCRM, no prime. So basically new pump, new CCRM but still no prime. Any thoughts?

So go ahead and sign me up for the moron of the year award. Apparently the fuse panel diagram I printed off was labeled wrong and I was checking the wrong fuse in the engine fuse panel. I lost the one I had originally printed off so pulled one up online just to double check before I started cutting wires to hard wire power to the fuel pump and what-a-ya know, I was checking the wrong fuse. So I don't know what popped the fuse to begin with, maybe I still have a bare wire somewhere just waiting to short out again but I guess I will just wait and see. I don't mind that I replaced the fuel pump because it had 180,000 miles on it but buying a new CCRM that I didn't need kinda stings. Oh well.

Reactions: 1 user