1994 v6 mustang Home Garage (redneck) Modded Need Help From Tech. gurus

spacecowboy888

Founding Member
Apr 9, 2002
Montana
Howdy. I have a 1994 3.8 mustang that I play around with a bit when I have some spare cash. This is the first EFI equipped car that I have attempted to mod, as my only previous project was a '67 289. The only mods I have done thus far are a MAC off-road H pipe (thank god for my state and it's lack of emissions regulation) Mac cat(less) back exaust, filters, cold-air, B+M shift Kit, a Morana Racing Cam (duration int. 284 224 ex. 284 224 Lift lobe .300I .300E Valve .519 I .519 E Cent. Int 110 Ex. 110, I can post the full specs if it would be helpful) stiffer spring, lifters, rocker arms, and a diablosport chip which I had made before all the mods. I've recently sold a crotch-rocket after my love of 2 wheels had expired, and I have some spare cash (for once in my life). The stang always felt like an uncompleted project, because the damn thing is still running poorly. After a slow, painful ECU death and subsequent replacement, and a broken timing chain, I've pulled the diablosport chip, along with installing larger fuel injectors (although I can't remember the size, I'd have to look it up, suffice to say that they're larger than stock). I have little experience with tuning EFI, but I borrowed my friends code scanner to see what exactly my little "check engine" problem was, and it turns out she's running rich on both banks (duh). I also live in a very high altitude area (right on the continental divide) and I've noticed that the car has started hesitating heavily (or missing T.T I can't tell, it pulled a cute missing cylinder 4 trick before the ECU died). My question is, where to go from here? Have the diablosport chip changed? Buy a re-flasher for the ECU? Buy a new chip with my mods under consideration? I live in Montana, and there are really no shops in the state that have the resources to dyno and tune my car as far as I can tell, and I have done all the mods to my car in my ranch's shop. I also feel the need for a new torque convertor or gears, although I don't know which would help the low-end kick more, because it's pretty peaky as it's set up now....no power under 4000 rpm, but that sweet spot is glorious. Also, I seem to remember a post or f.a.q. describing how to port/polish and shorten the runners on a 3.8 mustangs intake, does anyone have that link?

it sounds like you may need to back off of the mods to the top of the engine. the 6er cant hande too big of a cam before you start losing power in the low end. bigger exhaust does not always mean better. you do need some[/] back preassure. since you have some money, i would say, rods, pistons, pistons and a supercharger. otherwise you need to get rods and pistons to get the compression ratio back up.