2000 Ranger 5r55e Trans Issue

• Thread starter Deleted member 215073
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 215073

Anyone know much about these transmissions?

Recently my truck wouldn't go into reverse. It only happened once. Checked fluid level, it was OK. Let it run for a few, and it had reverse.

Also, sometimes when I first start to drive the truck, and accelerate up to speed (40+) it won't shift into third gear. I let off the throttle, and I can feel it drop in to gear. Only happens when I first start driving, after that it shifts fine.

I've read that these transmissions have solenoid issues. Any experts on these here?

• Sponsors (?)

The valve body is notorious for getting cracks in the worm tracks. The reverse problem doesn't sound familiar with that, but the shift to third is very common. I was told by corporate to price a valve body when that happens. Also you can drop off the pan, and there is a soienoid you can adjust. I think it's the MPV IIRC. Turn it 1/8 of a turn with a screwdiver.

My transmission hasn't acted up at all in the last few weeks. I'm thinking there may have been debris or something that let go. I did buy a new filter, gasket, and dipstick o-ring (leaking), and some BG trans conditioner. Going to replace the filter and o-ring soon.

Theres a kit you can buy for the check ball to relocate one of them because ford has it in the wrong spot it helps you from loosing rev so fast in them had to do it to my father in-laws and a couple other of them giddyup306 is right on the main other issues beside the gasket blowing out.