2001 Cobra Headlights? Tinted or Clear? Where to find OEM or Perfect Replacements? Which replacement foglights?

spacescape

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2002
Clinton Township, MI
The clear coat is coming off my 2001 Mustang Cobra and would like to restore them or replace them. Just trying to figure out if they are supposed to be clear or tinted and where to get OEM or the perfect aftermarket. Want them to look stock but with the best LED bulbs (I'm 46 and want bright!!! My night eyes aren't perfect).

What about replacement fog lamps? which ones do you guys like that look stock? Same thing want LED bulbs.

• Sponsors (?)

I am not 100% certain but I think that the only place you are going to find OEM are NOS auctions and scrap yards.

What's the best place? Scrap yards IMO.

I don't recommend screwing around with working OEM headlights or foglights. Have you seen what they go for these days????

Any replacement you get is going to be some Chinese garbage. There are some very nice projector light conversions for headlights that exist (not my kind of music but ok).

Hell, I even tell folks that do yootoob videos about replacement lights to [Put your OEM pieces and box and label them. Never sell them!].

Sooner or later, folks get tired of their [upgrades] and wished they'd never gotten rid of the OEM stuff.

LED light [bounces]. It bounces off of rain, fog, snow, etc.. and ends up right back in your eyes.
Halogen light does a better job of penetrating these things but doesn't appear as bright up close.

There's a tradeoff to consider. Personally, I can stand LED lights for automotive applications. Additionally, many of these LED replacement assemblies are cheaply made but all include a diode bridge. It only takes one of those diodes to go bad to start creating electrical gremlins.

Hopefully, somebody will come along that can answer the tint question for you. Good luck! :nice:

I've had both smoke tinted and clear. The smoke decreases light output but if you have a LED setup that is somewhat mitigated. I took mine off for that reason. I was doing a lot of night driving at the time and didn't care for the decreased output. If it's the smoked look then get the clear lenses with smoked mirror coating.

That said I have had zero luck with any aftermarket headlight assemblies. All of them have been crap. When I replaced the smoked lensed ones that were on my car when I bought it, they fogged up in a few weeks. Had them replaced by the company after jumping thru hoops. The second set were only mildly better. They began to peal and crack clear coat after about a year. My son's did the same thing. I just replaced theim with another set it got on Amazon last week but I've resolved to the fact I'll be replacing them on a regular.
If you can refurbish your OEM, I'd do that.

And blue too.

DSCF1260.JPG
IMG_2054.JPG

Thanks everyone. OUCH. I'm seeing them for $1300 on ebay for OEM / NOS... Thought I had a set for $500 but they were out of stock. Mine aren't bad looking just some minor imperfections but I'd hate to spend $500+ to only have a rock crack them. GULP.