2010 rear wheel bearing bad. Will dealer cover the damage to the tire?

bjl95mustang

Founding Member
Jan 18, 2000
Austin,TX
So I noticed on my wifes car that the driver side rear tire was worn really bad on the inside.

I jacked up the rear and there is alot of play in the rear bearing. I'm pretty sure the bearing is bad.

Will the dealer replace the tire due to the faulity bearing? Her car is still under the 3/36k warranty.

Any advice would be awesome.

• Sponsors (?)

That's an interesting question. Ford's warranty policy states that if a covered component fails and damages a non-covered component then the entire repair is covered. So for instance brake pads are not a covered item, but if they are damaged due to a seized caliper the pads would be replaced under warranty. So assuming you are correct as to what failed then technically it should be covered. However tires are a sticky situation. The warranty is not from Ford it is from the tire manufacture and how they wear can be greatly affected by things like driving habits, under/over inflation etc etc. I could be wrong but I would expect that you may get some resistance from the dealership about covering the tire. Remember Ford pays the dealers to do warranty work so they have to satisfy Fords requirements before they can cover it. If they do cover the tire they may pro-rate it. I would say bring it in see whats wrong and if it's something that the tire wear can be attributed to then asked them to replace the tire and see what happens.

Tires are not covered for wear. Depends on how the tire itself is worn, if it's worn let's say on the inner edge because of the endplay of the rear wheel bearing then it's obvious damage from the bad bearing. If it's just bald across the entire tread face then they can blame it on burn out's etc...

The inner edge is trashed. the rest of the tire is fine.

It's at the dealer now getting looked at. The blend door is knocking too so we are getting everything fixed at one time.

I asked the service writer about the tire and he would not confirm or deny the tire coverage until the tech came back with the axle status.