- Oct 28, 2004
- 4
- 0
- 0
I have a 67 coupe 289 with a 3 spd i just recently started playing with again after 8 years. The car idles fairly good but white smoke that dissipates fairly quick shoots out the exhaust. I was thinking coolant and head gaskets. So I replaced them with no change. Then, I pulled the heads and had them magna fluxed and they are in good shape according to the machine shop. The intake manifold looks good too but hasnt been professionally inspected. The bores, pistons, rings etc look great from what I can see. Do I have a cracked block? Or, the carb needs a rebuild badly. Could it be dumping un burnt fuel through the exhaust and look like white smoke? There is a very strong exhaust smell. Im basically lost as to what to do from here. Im gonna borrow a carb from a buddy and see what happens. After that i dont know. Also, the previous owner said it would overheat down the road but will idle all day.. I realized there was no thermostat but that shouldnt matter.. Sorry for the long post. Any help is appreciated.